Anyone with a comparison pick of the Aleph1 and L1

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Search engine did not work out. I'm just wondering how the two compare in size. I assume they have comparable beams?

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe that the new L1 has the same optic used in the KL1. If so, the beams aren't going to be anything alike.

The Aleph I is going to be a bit larger in diameter, but the hotspot will be tighter, resulting in more throw. Lots more throw, and you'll get a good sidespill which the L1 will lack, due to the optic.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Anyone with a comparison pick of the Aleph1 an

What is a 1.5x123 body length for? Is the Aleph water resistant? Is there a warranty on it like the surefire?

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast

1.5x123 body is for two CR2 cells or one Pila 150s rechargeable cell.

The Aleph is water resistant, and you could probably use it as a dive light if all the O-rings were lubricated, but no underwater warranty is made. Not sure what warranty the builders put on their lights, but you can be certain they will stand behind them as long is the problem is not due to abuse.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've never heard of a CR2 or a Pila 150s. I can understand why a rechargable battery would be a plus. How do the CR2's and 150s' compare to a 1x or 2x 123?

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast

A CR2 has about half the capacity of a CR123. A 150S rechargeable has a little more total energy capacity than a CR123, but not much (higher voltage but lesser amp-hour capacity).

It boils down to how important it is to you to have a slightly shorter body than a 2x123 while still being able to use Downboy or Wiz2 light engines. Just adds some flexibility to the system.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you want a smallish light that will serve as a sort of "jack of all trades," then an Aleph I on a 2X123 body with a Lux III being driven by a DownBoy converter should work nicely for you. It will give a good flood that is accompanied by VERY good throw. It will run on 2X123 and if you wanted, you could also run it on a Pila 168S. You won't get regulation on the Pila, but you will get over 700mA to the luxeon and the output will be pretty flat, due to the discharge characteristics of li-ion cells.

You could opt for a Wiz2 converter, which would give you regulation on either 2X123 or a Li-ion. The advantage to the DownBoy is that you could run it on up to 4X123 for some really long runtimes, if you could find a body that long.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks. I don't know much at all about all the electronics and circuitry so your explanations help a lot. It sounds like I need an Aleph I with the 2x123 body. Now all I need to do is pay off that gun.

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would like to see what these options look like. (Aleph I, II, III heads, standard tailcaps, slim tailcaps, etc...) Anyone have pics or links to sites where these can be seen. I'm VERY interested in the light Chop describes but I want to see other options, too.