new leadlight 110 mod!!!

Wyvern

Newly Enlightened
to everyone who has a 110 here:

do the "102" resistor mod then short the diode labled A106 on the opposite side of the board, i got about 10mw extra this way

Enjoy

Wyvern

Newly Enlightened
i can now easily burn through black electrical tape within 2-3 seconds, i have no way of measuring the power can anyone estimate?

Goldmagnet

Newly Enlightened
Just the idea of shorting a diode seems mad to me.

What does anyone else think ?

I have some 110's here so I could give it a go but it seems totally against the rules.

Mind you I will do anything for more power....

Gold

Wyvern

Newly Enlightened
try it and see!! first do the pot mod then short the 102 resistor described on another thread then short the diode

dont ask me how it works but it does

bootleg2go

Enlightened
Hi wyvern, I don't think everyone has a diode marked as a106. Can you give a better description of which component. There are front and back pictures posted in the original 110 mod thread, maybe you could repost those pictures with the component your talking about circled.

Thanks
Jack

LaserMod

Enlightened
110_back.jpg

Wyvern

Newly Enlightened
thats the one, i assumed it was a diode because of the line but because of the size it may well be a cap

CHP

Newly Enlightened
The 110's have two transistors in series controlling the LD's current. By shorting out the capacitor you have removed one saturation voltage drop from the "lower" transistor and permitted a slightly higher base current to flow through the "upper" transistor providing a lower saturation voltage. The reduction in voltage drops permitted a higher LD voltage and a higher LD current.

Goldmagnet

Newly Enlightened
OK Wyvern I have now tried you MAD idea ?

It makes more sense now I know its a cap, and you are 100% right, I take my hat off to you, what a good mod. I have a 110 here with 2, mods. I have one resitor shorted, and the photodiode now lives inside the battery compartment! This mod of yours works, my unit now draws 560ma from my bench power supply (is this a 110 record).

Sorry I was so negitve at the start (it was the diode thing), thanks for a really good mod.

By the way this mod makes my red LED glow dimmer, does it do that on yours ?

Gold

drpepper1024

Newly Enlightened
Now that we're able to reach currents surpassing 500ma with this new mod is there a resistor we need to change out to keep the extra current from frying the circuit? It would be the equivalent of changing the 2k for the 3.3k on the 105 model, or is this not neccesary for the 110?

Goldmagnet

Newly Enlightened
I have just order another 110 to mod. My current unit has been the subject so much experientation I want to start from scratch.

Has anyone else tried this mod, laser modifier ?

Gold

Wyvern

Newly Enlightened
yes my led did glow dimmer (i think it was ready to blow) but i feel an led is a waste of mA so i got rid of that too

i still have the photodiode in place and seems to make no difference, it seems we were initialy wrong in thinking it was there to limit the beam to 5mW

i do have a rough schematic i have drawn up, im not sure if i've found all the via's on the board so i will post it soon

Goldmagnet

Newly Enlightened
I have ordered 2 more to play with, I am going to do this mod from scratch before the others. Expect a post on wednesday.

Sorry if I was sceptical before.... It was the diode thing..

Gold

LaserMod

Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif got a couple on the way, will give it a go.

deezdrama05

Enlightened
I ordered a wicked extreme mx because I couldnt see why to spend more money on leadlights and spend weeks modding them only to overdraw the diode and eventually ruin them, but I got to admit, modding these things is the fun part, Im still waiting on my mx but ill post a review. Oh yeah I bought a big 6 inch light bucket reflecting telescope with 600x magnification!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/paypal.gif So I will find a spot somewhere deep in the country where it is flatland and ill have to find a large hill or somewhere to setup the telescope, and I will have to find a large object in the distance and see how far the mx will go. I know it claims 45 miles but I doubt if I can acurately measure these kind of distances but ill give it a try.

K-T

*Moderator*
Deezdrama, just to remind you that discussions about pointing >5mW lasers in the sky without termination points and / or proper license is not tolerated! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad71.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Dito to K-T, and as this isn't the first time we are telling you this, take this as your last warning before your posting privileges will be removed.
bernhard