Malkoff        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When you cant find something, what do you do?

Flashaholic*

Default When you cant find something, what do you do?

This certain type of situation is the most frustrating kind in life (so far for me, hey Im only 12)that I experience. What do you do? Pray? Try to remember? Should I do some kind of meditation? My parents just tell me, "just pray, and God will tell you where it is". This doesnt really help.... I mean, I am religious, but even this doesnt work sometimes. What do you do?

Default Re: When you cant find something, what do you do?

Forget about it. Then it will show up within a day or two, pending how long it takes for it to show up. Seriously, if you lose something, and never remember to remember about it, once you find it, it will feel like a snap.

Cameron

Flashaholic*

organise myself better...
    Folders and neatly ordered storage boxes are your friends! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    I haven't lost a paper or anything else for quite a while.

Flashaholic*

Hmm I never thought about it that way. But sometimes, I need that object urgently. Like sometimes, when my family goes on long car rides, I cant find my favorite books, or the books I dropped and was in the middle of, and then spend the whole car ride wondering what its about...

Flashaholic*

try look for something else.

I tend to cuss, scream, and break stuff. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif[/img]
    So I try really hard not to lose or misplace anything important. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I am not sure praying will work, but I won't go there. On the other hand, if you stop for a little bit, close your eyes, and mentally retrace your steps for when you last saw the object you lost, it may help. Don't force the issue, relax and focus on what you were doing... this helps me. Call it meditation if you like, I call it remembering.

Another tid-bit that I use: I decide on a way to organize stuff, and then I make a point of keeping that order. I used to misplace my wallet all the time because I used to take it out of my pockets (together with my keys) as soon as I got home. I decided that I would keep my wallet and my keys in my pockets. I only take them out when I need them or when I'm changing pants. I haven't misplaced my keys nor my wallet in years (probably jinxed myself right there [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img])!

My son has a special bag where he keeps his Karate gear. He only takes gear out in his dojo, and makes a point of checking that he has everything in there and ready to go every time. Maybe you can do that with your books before travelling.

I'd say you should try to lose the important things Craig. That way they're not the things that will get broken. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

*Flashaholic*

If its something around the house/garage like a tool, the best way to relocate it is to go out and buy another one. I guarantee that by the following day you will be holding two of them! Never fails! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif[/img]

Larry

Flashaholic*

Bindi, both funny and true!

[ QUOTE ]
    The_LED_Museum said:
    I tend to cuss, scream, and break stuff. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly what I do. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif[/img]

If it's something essential (keys, knife, lights, etc) I always have a backup, so I just wait until it shows up again. Other stuff I don't worry about. .

I just ask my wife where the thing is, of course. After all, she's the one that hid it from me. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Geoff

Flashaholic*

[ QUOTE ]
    BatteryCharger said:
    [ QUOTE ]
    The_LED_Museum said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly what I do. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is me too. I curse, swear, grunt, throw stuff. Beg for help etc. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

I think that prayer may be helpful -- whether a person is a believer or not. To a non-believer, prayer is very close to a visualization technique. Many people use visualization to help them accomplish tasks every day.

Sometimes I try to remember where I put something by walking around looking for the spot where I was when I decided where I would put the object in the first place. The sights, smells, sounds and/or other seemingly intangible clues that you pick up by regaining the perspective you had when you decided where to put it may jog your memory and remind you of just what it was that caused you to select the place that you finally chose for the now lost object.

It is also much easier to find a misplaced object if you can remain calm. Easier said than done.

Flashaholic*

If I can't find it after a while, I postpone looking for it and move on to something else. Often,later it will pop into my head where I had it last. Here's the odd part: later can be anywhere from a few minutes to a few YEARS. Yes, my subconcious (sp) will still be looking for the ((^$%$&&** thing years later. Sometimes I hate it.

Flashaholic*

If i try the "visualize" method, i visualize where it "should be" and that makes me even more peeved cause its not [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/Christo_pull_hair.gif[/img]

Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyurl.com/8zu5t

My sister used a trick that works sometimes. Start with the letter A, think of everyplace, person or situation that starts with that letter, go on to B, ....., finish at Z. Often before you finish, you'll have thought of it.

Flashaholic

I'm Catholic and I actually pray when I can't find something. We have a tradition of praying to St. Anthony to help us when we lose something. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I have a Tritium Glowring or Glow-Disc attached to my EDC essential stuff...PDA, keys, cell phone, MP3 player, Flashlights and Swiss Army Knife, etc...when I can't find them, I simply switch off the lights.

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif[/img]

Merkava
    [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/knight.gif[/img]

Click HERE for Nite Tritium Glowrings
    Click HERE for Tritium Vials

I ask my wife, she knows everything..
    It always srts the same:
    "Honey, have you seen my ****?"
    She says one of two things, either "it's in the ***" or "Why do you always ask me?" Then she goes directly to it and brings it to me.
    Either way it is in my hands in moments.
    I LOVE MY WIFE!

Flashaholic*

If you are going to pray, it must be to St. Anthony and you must promise to make a certain donation to charity and then follow through when you have found your item.

Or you could just keep your stuff organized. Good luck.

I usually go watch a movie and I usually remember where I put whatever it is that I lost by the end. Works sometimes, doesn't works sometimes. Other than that, I just go buy another flashlight.

It helps to have a place for things, and to always put them back in that place. My watch always goes on the dresser at night, never teh coffee table or kitchen counter. It's always there when I awaken.

I don't put most things backtoo well, so I tend to stop and think about the last place I remember using it. That frequently works.

As TVODRD said, buy a replacement. I have 3 hack saws. I have 4 electric drills. Does that tell you anything?

Never forget, you will always find what you are looking for in the very last place you look.

Daniel

As a couple of people have already noted, I buy another one. After all, it's only "stuff". And when I get too much stuff, or have too many of any particular item, I give it away, or donate it, or throw it out. Life is way too short to get worked up over stuff.

[ QUOTE ]
    Lurker said:
    If you are going to pray, it must be to St. Anthony and you must promise to make a certain donation to charity and then follow through when you have found your item.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Im not a religious person, but when your God requires a "non refundable deposit" you may want to review your prayer.

Flashaholic*

[ QUOTE ]
    Pydpiper said:
    [ QUOTE ]
    Lurker said:

[/ QUOTE ]
    Im not a religious person, but when your God requires a "non refundable deposit" you may want to review your prayer.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not a deposit, it is payment after-the-fact for services renderd. An honest transaction. And you can name your own price. If the offering is insufficient, then the transaction is never completed and no payment is made (just like priceline.com). If you don't like the terms of the deal, just keep looking on your own. There is no obligation and no pressure. It's tax-free and may even be tax-deductable (consult your accountant).

Here's a suggestion: clean out your closet and cupboard and donate that stuff to charity. No money out of pocket. Or volunteer your time to a local charity. You might even get results with a pint of blood. St. Anthony will come through for you.

Disclaimer: This method may not work as well for people who state "I am not a religious person."

Flashaholic

you will vary rarely see a floor in my room or papers neatly organized. usually it's just a jumble of everything. but this chaos, although may look like disorganization, actually has a very strict heirarchy that it adheres to. i can always pull out anything you request at a moments notice. and for things I use all the time, if i can't find it in 5 minutes in my room, and it's not in my car, there is a 95% chance that it's gone forever. case in point - my arc LSHF-P [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

also for me, when i lose something, or when one of my designs starts doing what it shouldnt, i know within half a second the exact cause of the problem, or the exact location/activity during which i lost the item. this is usually followed by a long sigh, especially when something expensive and irreplacable is lost...like many hours of labor. sometimes it turns up, sometimes it doesnt. call it engineer's intuition.

Leon

Mags,

Since you mentioned that you and your family are Christians and your parents suggestion was to pray, I'll chime in from there.

I'm a firm believer in prayer. I know that my prayers will be answered, I'm just not sure if it's going to be the answer I want. I am sure that the answer is what's best for me, even if I don't know it yet. This is my faith.

I believe you will either find what you seek, or by not finding it God will take the opportunity to lead you in another direction.

Instead of dwelling on a loss, I try to look for what I may gain. Every moment is an opportunity. Perhaps when we lose something, God is giving us the opportunity to experience something else, something that brings us closer to God. And for me, that is what I really want, even when I forget this because I'm obsessed with something like a really cool flashlight. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

P.S. I'm expecting to lose something shortly so God can show me how much easier it is to give spiritual advice than to practice it.

Greg

Flashaholic*

Greg, I totally understand your statement since my father is a pastor and I listen to that kind of talk all the time. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast