CMG Ultra as a "candle"

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too enjoy using leds [especially a single led] as a candle. The problem I find is that it seems to hamper my vision when the led is "too" exposed as in an Ultra or Arc AAA [too much shine in your eyes]. I use my PALight with lens removed and it functions very well since the led is recessed in a housing so that when you are standing close to it it doesn't "shine" back into your eyes. This is also why I will place the light on a counter or surface that is higher than my line of vision [especially when sitting] so as to get a good candle effect.

Actually I thought your little "technique" with the lanyard was ingenius. Wonder how many inovations this world has prospered from due to Guiness?

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
webley445/DieselDave
Actually that idea works really well also when the CMG is fitted into a translucent tube-like the $3. LaserBrite one.
A small amount of sanding on the Inside of the tube's end allows for a friction press fit, so that the CMG can light up the 7" length of the tube -causing the whole room to be softly illuminated.

-can you say.....lightstick?
grin.gif

krept

Newly Enlightened
Nice, awesome ideas.

I was also thinking about using something like shrink tubing and short pieces of small diameter fiber optics to put on the bezel for a cool glowing effect.

Cheers

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vcal:

The tube idea is incorporated into the 4AA 2 LED Energizer area light. The two tubes are each about 2" long with what appears to be a convex mirror at both non-LED tube ends. Both tubes are mounted against a flat white surface that generates a fairly even 180 degree beam. I bought a few for between $8 and $9 each at Walmart.

This light has a switch that allows one or two LEDs to be run.

The overall light isn't particularly bright, but it provides useful light for long periods. I leave them in rooms primarily for emergency purposes.

BTW -- I had a power outage yesterday that ran from 5:00 am to 11:00 am. Too bad it wasn't at night so my wife would have to admit the utility of some of our lights.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
lemlux, that same little Eveready white 2 LED lantern that you refer to, was the most used little light in our house during our 8 hour outage 2 days ago.
cool.gif

-8 bucks well spent!

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vcal:

For short useages, I prefer to use my 2AA Radio Shack / Osram fluorescents (purchased mid-year on closeout for $2.97 @). The RS/Osrams are much brighter and only half the thickness, but the run time at 700 mA current is much shorter.

The Energizer certainly is a good leave-it-on and let-it-stand-on-a-table room blackout light for walking around and finding things.

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by lemlux:
I prefer to use my 2AA Radio Shack / Osram fluorescents...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">We picked up some on closeout for $2. A great light for a power outage! (or camping)

BeamChucker

Newly Enlightened
Nerd, I really liked my regular Infinity this summer with a film canister on it as a tent light too. I keep a cord loop on mine. The ceiling of my tent has a D-ring in it. I just slip the flashlight cord loop partially through the D-ring, put the flashlight through the loop , and let it hang. It makes for a marvelous tent light; small lightweight, not too much light. It could have been a wee bit brighter though, so next summer my Ultra will carry on the tradition.

StreamChucker

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by lemlux:
Vcal:

For short useages, I prefer to use my 2AA Radio Shack / Osram fluorescents (purchased mid-year on closeout for $2.97 @). The RS/Osrams are much brighter and only half the thickness, but the run time at 700 mA current is much shorter.

The Energizer certainly is a good leave-it-on and let-it-stand-on-a-table room blackout light for walking around and finding things.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Fluorescent fan here, too..I think I paid 4.95 @ R.Shack for that $12. Osram light that we like.

Even better, IMO are my CCFL Hiltra and Zelco fluor. lights, when it comes to power draw and light quality,(a bit more costly, though).

krept

Newly Enlightened
When I'm at home at night I sometimes wear my CMG U around my neck. Used a piece of paracord, 3' or so, to act as a necklace or lanyard for it.

After a couple bottles of Guinness last night I sat down and wondered why noone has come up with a cap or mod that can be used on the bottom of the light to help it act as a candle... in otherwords, allow it to stand on its base without having to be leaned against a wall or between books, etc. I really dig being able to use a light in this manner. Of course, an extra little piece that acts as a base would be a PITA to carry, would get lost, etc.

I then took the lanyard and wrapped it around and around my finger, creating a small doughnut-like pile of paracord. Stuck the CMG in there and voila! It stands on it's own and lights up the room well.

Yeah I know a lot of you are probably laffing right now and thinking "duuuuh"
yellowsleep.gif
but yeah, I really dig this setup now!
wink.gif

(side note... wonder if an ARC AAA can be used in the same way?)

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamchucker: Did you remove the black dot at the bottom of the light? I find it pretty bright in my room at nite. And that's with loads of light pollution from outside even with curtains drawn because I live in a city.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
We had three nighttime power outages in the same month last summer, and in each case I left one of those 4AA 2 LED Energizer lanterns running in each room all night, as lemlux mentioned. Worked great! My wife and I each had a brighter LED flashlight to carry with us for added lighting when/where necessary, but in most cases all we needed were the Energizer lanterns. Between that and the terrific deals on alkaline AA's to be found at sites like zbattery.com, makes for a very nice contingency lighting setup!