I look for a superlight for the rainforest.

Adriano

Newly Enlightened
hi, I'm a solitary traveller and the next time I will reach cameroon rainforest. I am inexperieced and I look for a superlight with hight power and low consumption. Can you give me some advice, please?
thanks

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, if you need high output and long runtime you are definitly going to need something HID. It's good that you know that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif (Go HID!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

First, Do you need a lot of throw? If you are in a rainforest I would imagine that you are looking for flood and that throw is unimportant for you. I am also assuming that you need something that is portable and pretty tough, possibly even water-proof. Is this information correct so far?

And secondly, what is your budget for this light?

We all could get a better idea of what you need with that all cleared up.

Adriano

Newly Enlightened
First, Do you need a lot of throw? If you are in a rainforest I would imagine that you are looking for flood >and that throw is unimportant for you. I am also assuming >that you need something that is portable and pretty tough, >possibly even water-proof. Is this information correct so >far?
Yes everything is correct!

>And secondly, what is your budget for this light?
mmm, I don't like to spend very much.
thanks

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
So far I am thinking either a $500 X990 that has flood-to-spot capability or A $200 Havis-Shields light with a diffusion filter (the Havis is normally a light that is meant for some serious throw but with a filter you could get a pretty decent flood for not spending boku bucks on a light).

The Havis-Shields is very tough and is waterproof so that might be a better option.

Adriano

Newly Enlightened
A $200 Havis-Shields light what model is it?
Can I see a picture? Home many batteries does it use?
How small is it, please?
thanks

Adriano

Newly Enlightened
hello I think it is a very good item but I look for a smallest and lighter light.

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
MiniHID or Mag2HID. Thats what I'd take in the forest. Runtime, brightness, throw, small.

Jeff

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, one thing I forgot to mention is that it uses an external battery which you can get here for pretty cheap:

http://www.allpowersupply.com/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=487

That's the battery that I use and it works great. About 1 hour 15 minute runtime.

Second, it is about 8 inches in depth and 5-6 inches tall and wide. It is quite comfortable to use because of the different ways you can grab it. (AKA - football grip and regular grip. The football grip is holding it sideways with your hand through the handle). I like it.

Third, you can get it here:

http://www.havis.com/LightingProducts/CollinsDynamics/CollinsDynamics3.html

Forth:

Overall, I love it. It's a great light and it is incredibly bright. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Look at the Light Force. 20 to 100 watts in *very* good reflectors that go from spot to flood and range from 5.5 to 9.5 inches in diameter.
A variety of power supplies available.

But it is going to be real hard to find something that is a balance between power and life that will last more than a few hours unless you are lugging a lot of batteries.

greenLED

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
MaxaBaker said:
If you are in a rainforest I would imagine that you are looking for flood and that throw is unimportant for you. I am also assuming that you need something that is portable and pretty tough, possibly even water-proof.

[/ QUOTE ]

Throw is extremely important, MaxaBaker. Adriano, you will find that a lot of throw is very useful when you're inside the forest so you can spot animals and navigate more easily. The reason of this is the multi-layered structure (both horizontal and vertical) of rainforests. With a flood light, the beam will get "washed off" (scattered is more like it) and it won't be as useful. With a flood light you'll get a lot more shadows and loose the ability to see very far. Having a wall of light is not a very useful, especially if you want to be on the lookout for animals or other features of the forest.

A flood light is still good for close-range navigation, but you will get more out of a light with throw. Lots of throw with decent sidespill would be ideal. Flood will help when you're walking around, but for positive animal ID (and, thus, safety) throw is important.

You're right on the mark on the toughness, waterproofness, and portability side, MaxaBaker. Will it be the rainy season in Cameroon?

Now, there's one big caviat to having a large light. You either need to use rechargeables or lug a lot of batteries. There is simply no way of getting a super bright light with decent runtime. You should inquire about the availability of electricity where you're headed before finalizing your purchase.

As I suggested on a separate thread, a hybrid headlamp is a sound compromise. You get throw from the Incan lamp, flood from the LED's, the right size for portability, and the option of using AA or equivalent rechargeables.

Adriano, if you provide more details of the logistics of your trip I can help you with other better suggestions. I work in the New World tropics and have been to Africa.

greenLED

Flashaholic
I've been thinking about this and the SureFire A2 may fit your needs too. Bright incandescent lamp, and 3x5mm LED's for low-light conditions. Powered off lithium 123's, so you'll have to carry a stash. Runtime on incan is about 1hr, IIRC.

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
I might recommend the whole Aleph system if I knew more about your specific requirements.

The Aleph system is small and versatile. Aleph1 head or Aleph3 head is great for putting bright white useful light to medium and long ranges. Aleph2 is more flood type for short to medium range. You can use rechargable batteries or have a stash of regular Lithium CR123 compact batteries. A little pricy but worth it if you want the best.

Check the McGimo threads on the main page and for simple durable black turnkey versions you can purchase from the Sandwich Shoppe under the Banner thread.

Adriano

Newly Enlightened
Ok, thanks for your pleasant news but I have just understand
I have to choise another standard if I have to a smaller and lighter light.
Thanks

Adriano

Newly Enlightened
greenLED,
can you tell me is a SuereFire L2 is good too? Has it a good throw.
It has a longer runtime than A2.
thanks

greenLED

Flashaholic
I've read good comments about the L2, but I haven't had the chance to try it myself. I do know that it has a 5W Luxeon emitter so it'll most likely shine a "wall of light" (lots of flood light, not as much throw). Be aware that total light output is not the same as "throw".

Read these searching tips to learn more about the lights you're interested in.

PS. An advantage of the A2 over other incandescent lights is that it is "regulated". This means the incan. beam will keep it's brightness throughout the life of the batteries. "Unregulated" lights dim starting from the moment you first turn them on with fresh batteries.

The only regulated incandescent headlamp I know of is the Black Diamond Soliras. That's going to be my next headlamp purchase.

cheesehead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Adriano,

You have to tell us if you can recharge the light at night, then we can recommend many rechargeable lights that are very very bright.

If you can't recharge, I think you may be best with the lithium lights. BUT, don't get an LED, the L2 does not throw, maybe the Inova T3, but even that is not very good. Your A2 will do better, but other larger Surefires will be even better.

UK light cannon may be a good choice if you can buy alkaline D cells, or if you can't recharge your light. Personally, if you can recharge, and you need 2 hours of runtime, the magcharger is very bright, cheap and reliable (just bring spare bulbs-about 10 hours each).

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, the Light Cannon runs on 8 C batts. at once. 3 1/2 - 4 hour runtime and it's quite bright........although I wouldn't know because UK hasn't gotten around to fixing it....again....

But, it's supposedly a very good light. I just happened to get a fluke from the factory.

lingpau

Newly Enlightened
Hi Adriano ! I am not going to try to tell you which is the best superlight to buy, many others have covered this, but you should carry a small,long running adjustable flood light to enable you to see where you are walking, reading or just a night light for in a tent or other unlighted area. I would look and consider the Eternalight. I just bought one on Ebay for less than $20.00 ! It has many useful functions from emergency SOS to adjustable brightness. How about a 750 hour run time on one set of batteries! I know I am sounding like a commercial but I don't work for them, I just know you will find yourself using it very often when you don't need to light up the entire forest or spot something 500 yards away. Ken