Is this a Luxeon light?

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both should be using LS led. LED Museum did a review on the blue one before.

yclo

Flashaholic*
Gee check out the black one:

"The secret is in the revolutionary collimator lens, InGon semiconductor flip chip, and Silicon sub-mount chip."

Ok, that's just normal sales pitch, but this:

"The lens focuses further, disperses light more widely"

What? A spot and a flood all in the same beam!?!?

-YC

Alan Hsu

Enlightened
I don't think any Luexon light can run for weeks with just 3 AA batteries. I gather the lights use lens similar to PT Impact.

kimgkimg

Newly Enlightened
I have the black ones on sale on eBay for much less than ShopLifeStyles. Do a search on "Luxeon Star". (Sorry, this wasn't an intentional plug...)

-geoff

Hemingray

Enlightened
Maybe it utilizes one of those mystical and magical C Crane silicone breast implants ;-)

/ed in the land snowedunder

Kiessling

Flashaholic
I own the black one - bought in from Geoff on ebay. for $35 it is ok, but keep in mind that it really cannot compete with an arc ls or other high qualitiy lights.
it has a very solid and heavy feel to it, the tail switch is nice but feels a bit floppy. it is a full aluminium construction with plastic lens, can't say anything about the anodize. the luxeon is off-center and the beam quality rather poor, but it does light up and produces some resonable output, but a little bit less then my arc ls rev2. cannot say anything about runtimes.
so, IMHO it is really ok for the price but it is certainly not a big shot and won't be able to replace those high-end lights from SF or arc.
smile.gif

bernhard

BTW Hemingray: I took it apart and searched really hard, but couldn't find any traces of breast implants there. maybe mine is a male ...
grin.gif

kimgkimg

Newly Enlightened
The light isn't perfect and certainly isn't in the same league as the ARC lights, but then again it's not a $100+ flashlight either. The beam quality is actually a byproduct of the custom collimator that the manufacturer has designed (probably for cost) and can be corrected by substituting a Luxeon-style collimator which someone on the forum I saw was actually producing and selling for around $2.

Vikas Sontakke

Enlightened
I would like Mr Bulk to modify this light. I would prefer this 3-AAA Luxeon light over the gleaming stainless steel "personal pleasure machine" that he is working with!

This one should also be cheaper than the PPM.

Let us hear from Mr Bulk!

- Vikas

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
haha, read this. taken from the sales pitch:

"Breakthrough Collimator lens makes this the world's most powerful & longest running flashlight!"

now what does the collimator have to do with the runtime, and it by far isn't the most powerful...for that matter, what exactly does "most powerful" mean when refering to light?

more than that even...it is complete crap!

LED_ASAP

Enlightened
From the word "Burn for up to two weeks" you can guess with great certainty that it is a direct-drive LS light. And at the end of the second week it probably won't even be as bright as an Arc AAA.

Now LS has dropped to <$10 a piece, I wouldn't say it's worthwhile to pay $35+ extra to have somebody put one in a flashlight casing.