Collimator 1 Watt Luxeon Star vs. Inova X5T

S4MadMan

Enlightened
First off, the Collimator is: $34.95 and you can purchase it HERE. It comes with what you see in the picture below:

collimit6.jpg

OK, I just picked up two of GeoffK's Collimator, 1 Watt Luxeon Star LED Flashlights. They are first-rate! Quality, construction, fit/finish are all excellent. Here's a comparison picture against some reference flashlights. The Collimator uses three inexpensive AAA batteries while the X5T uses two expensive CR123A batteries. Remember, the Collimator utilizes one 1 Watt Luxeon Star while the X5T utilizes FIVE LEDs. Yet the Collimator is as bright if not brighter, you be the judge.

lightcomparison1-or.jpg

True the Collimator's beam is not 100% uniform but it's color/contrast is better than the X5T for night use. I found the X5T to be too blue.

We can't compare the SureFire 9N as it's a significantly brighter/larger and way more expensive ($200) flashlight. The 9N only has 45 minutes of light before it needs to be recharged.

lightcomparison2-or.jpg

Currently GeoffK is building me a 5 watt Cyan Luxeon Star that is rated at 120 lumens and should be able to give my 9N a run for its money.

For a small, portable flashlight, the Collimator is an excellent buy at $34.95. I highly recommend it!

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Look in the Reviews Forum for my review of an earlier version of this light.

kimgkimg

Newly Enlightened
Yes, the blue one shown above is an earlier model. This was using a nylon battery carrier which had problems with battery contact problems with Duracell AAA batteries (this was the model originally reviewed on Craig Johnson's site.) The newer version uses an lexan/acrylic battery carrier which eliminates this problem. The newer model also includes a rubber tailcap switch protector which acts as a water guard for the switch assembly.