Need help with MC60

Newly Enlightened
I'm new to this modding thing but want to upgrade my MC. I've been trolling around here enough that I want to do the Mag60 mod. I plan on using the WA1160 bulb but I'm not certain which battery to go with. My stock battery finally got a bad cell after 6 years of hard use.

I've read posts about NiCads and NIMH's at 2500 and 3500 mah's. I'm thinking a stick of 1/2D 4000 mah would be best.

My limitations are that I need to be able to charge the light in the stock cradle both plugged into the wall and in the car via lighter plug. I also need a decent run time. The 3500 NIMH were said to be around 50 minutes which I can deal with but longer would be nice.
Am I asking for too much here? Brighter and with a longer run time?

Thanks for any help you guys offer. This is for work and I need it pretty quickly. I think I'll start playing around with other projucts after I get this taken care of.

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
the 4Ah stick works very very well; the stock charger can be used but just remember not to leave it on it for weeks or you might hurt the battery. Also, charging will take longer than with the regular nicad stick.
I have a lot of lights but the one that gets used the most often is still the MC60; it's just too practical and reliable; truly the hotwire that started it all.

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, Your statement "too practical and reliable" is what I need. I would love to be able to make this thing really bright but in my situation I absolutly need something reliable.

I would have the light on a charger for 16 hours. It is usally not run down too much during the night but sometimes is exhausted. Would this be lopng enough to fully charge a 4AH stick?

Also does anyone know of any WA bulb or other brand that I can swap out while swapping out the batt stick with 3 alkaline D cells if the battery gets drained. I think WA stopped at 3.6 volts which wouldn't be underdriving it too much I assume. I've had to do this on a few occasions in the past using the stock lamp. It has worked pretty well. If I'm using the light for this long brightness doesn't matter. I could carry smaller flashlight but space gets to be a premium and 3 D cells and a spare light don't take up much room

Thanks a lot.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you are going to carry 3 extra D's and a bulb, why not just get 2 battery sticks of 1/2 D NiMh, keep one in your MagCharger and one in a 3D with an 1160 bulb (that doesn't take much more space than the batteries and bulb alone take).

You can then swap batteries as you go on shift from the charged light to the 3D, and use the 3D on duty while charging the other light.

If you run out of one stick and are in a hurry, you can grab the MagCharger and go, or swap sticks if you have time, and put the discharged one back on the charger.

You should put an aluminum reflector in the 3D, too.

That gives you 2 high power, dependable lights and I would then carry a Z2 with a P61 or similar on my belt.

Bill

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
No problem, 250.
Yes, 16 hours is about right. You may need 24hours on the very first charge.
For the backup plan, I agree with bwaites that a backup light such as a Z2 or something similar that won't take more space than 3 D cells(G2, 6P ...etc) could work better for you. Getting a second battery is also a neat idea but because it was designed to charge inside the light on the cradle, you'll need either a special charger or a second magcharger to charge the first battery while you use the second one.

Newly Enlightened
The problem I see with another battery stick and 1160 bulb is that I only get an extra hour, roughly, of run time. If I get to the point where I'm switching to D cells and a low output lamp brightness isn't important and just having a long runtime is now important. I could just carry a stock 3D but just the batts and a bulb take up less space and store easier. 3D's will run the stock MC lamp for quite a while by the way. I'd just rather have a lamp rated closer to the amount of juice I'm giving it.

I do have the 6R with the P61 lamp, usually two rechargable batteries and the rapid charger with me. Plus the P60 bulb and 2 123's if I get to that point. So I'm covered if I need a immediate back-up or get caught away from the MAG. I actually use this quite a bit but with a 20 minute run time I don't use it for the "normal" stuff.

If I had enough room to carry a different light for all the things I might need one for it would be great. I'm just trying to make the best of my situation. I'm already beyond what most of my coworkers have which is the stock 5D Mag. and no back-up.

Thanks for your imput.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast

In that case, I would still carry the 5 cell 1/2D pack since it is the same size as the 3D's and would use a bulb rated at around 100 lumens, which would run for quite a while on that pack.

That way you have a super bright backup pack if you need it, and the long run time if you want it. Running the stock MC bulb on the D's isn't good for it as it will not go through the halogen cycle and the bulbs will slowly turn black as the tungsten from the filament is deposited inside the glass envelope. long term this will lead to significant dulling of the light output.

Bill

Newly Enlightened
I knew I could get some good answers here. Another battery pack would work. I never considered that as I have access to as many D,C, AA, AAA's, and 9volt batteries as I wan't. Too bad 123's are not included. I knew running the stock MC bulb, 1160 or whatever isn't good. I just never knew so many options with bulbs existed until I came here. Then I started thinking. I guess that's how this begins.

Thanks for the info and recommendations.