Replacement LED automotive bulbs

T

theLEDgirl

I'm doing a research project on LED automotive replacement bulbs that are "dual intensity"...designed to replace a dual-filament incandescent bulb, where ALL of the LEDs in the bulb illuminate for the tail light and ALL of the LEDs light up for the brake light (except the LEDs are all brighter for the brakes). I know that there are companies out there today that are making these LED aftermarket replacement bulbs. I'm particularly looking for bulbs that were made mid-1999 or earlier (or pictures or articles that show these early bulbs). Please let me know if anyone out there can help me!

-- theLEDgirl

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF.

You might try the search function at the top of this page and at the top of the "Homemade" page. I recall some discussions about this.

I'm a little surprised this response is the first one you got. I couldn't get on the board last night. Maybe a few others had the same problem.

At any rate, glad you found us.

highlandsun

Enlightened
None of the existing LED drop-in bulbs on the market meet SAE illumination specs. Their overall brightness is much dimmer than the incandescent bulbs they are meant to replace, and their high-beam brightness is barely 30% brighter than their low-beam brightness. (SAE spec requries at least 5x, 500% brighter.) I don't know exactly what your research entails, but none of these products are safe or usable; all of them ought to be illegal.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i have no idea...i'd just like to take a moment to say, "wow, it's a female!"

grin.gif

CNC Dan

Enlightened
I got some a while back, and as others have indicated, they suck.

The large 4" arrays you see on tractor trailors are great though. I was thinking of replacing the stock tail lights on my Jeep with LED truck lights, but keeping the license plate light would be tricky as the LED lights would be flush mount.

Oh and "wow it's a girl!"

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I finally grabbed a two pack of the ones from Autozone and they aren't on my truck because they just aren't bright enough.

I see some Bar(something or another) at truck stops. If I had a place to mount them I'd be all over a pair! But my original mount locations on my Knapheide box are welded over with plates for my liftgate attachment. I have a pair of 440s mounted low, and a pair of small rectangular surface mounts high (which are reflectored and MUCH brighter!)

I may fabricate some sort of surface 'box' for a pair of those big truck LED lights!

I'm of the opinion that one just can't have TOO much light!

Latest posts