• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Tk Aleph's 1.5 body ?

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tk Aleph\'s 1.5 body ?

Why do the 1.5x123 TK alephs come with a 500ma wizard2 instead of a bb500 or 700? Can the 150s batteris not put out enough juice? or will they not work with a dual position switch?

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Re: Tk Aleph\'s 1.5 body ?

Are you talking about the TK units from the Shoppe?
Because McGizmo doesn't offer TK units AFAIK.
You could also do this set-up with a NG500 of course, but there you are depending on Vin of the LED and will likely end up with a higher drive current using the Li-Ion. The Wiz2 is the optimum driver for Li-Ion (and 1x123 or 2x123 in this low-current set-up) as it is not influenced by the Vin of the LED.
bernhard

P.S.: if you are talking about Shoppe-TK lights, please state so and I'll move the thread so that the corresponding experts may answer your question better than I can.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast

I guess I'm talking about the shop. I'm sorry, I though they were one in the same.

Kiessling

Flashaholic

The parts are made by McGizmo, he is the inventor of the lights.
The converters are mainly made by dat2zip, so you can call it a cooperation.
Now ... to reduce the work load, there are more people selling the lights than just McGizmo ... you have the Shoppe where you can get single DIY parts and TK lights (as you have seen), then there are Darell, Chop, tylerdurden, JollyRoger and kj (no specific order) who build custom Alephs as well.

No need to be sorry or anything /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif ... this whole affair is confusing I know. The only thing that is worse is the numbering of the Aleph heads ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif to Don /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif

I'll move the thread now so that dat2zip can fully answer your question.

bernhard

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Wizard comes with the 1.5 body since the Wizard is a true buck/boost converter.

That is to say, when a 150s battery is fully charged its voltage is around 4.2V which is higher than the LED requiring a buck (step down) converter. As the battery voltage drops with usage the voltage will drop below the Vf of the LED requiring a Boost (Step up) converter.

The Wizard handles this correctly and maintains full constant current regulation.

You could opt for a Nexgen or Badboy converter. But, with a fresh battery you will be in DD mode and the converter will not be in regulation.

The shoppe is currently offering the most popular configurations to limit the number of variations in inventory. Since there are soo many combinations there are others as listed above that will be happy to make most derivatives or alternative configurations.

Wayne