Phoenix Electroforms
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: New Smallest? 3w from Orb (Raw)

Default New Smallest? 3w from Orb (Raw)

For the last 5 weeks I have been using EDC & testing possibly the smallest brightest 3 watt lite available.
    Specs: 3 watt At least T flux bin (some U Bin)
    3.7 volt Li ion CR2 Rechargable 300ma
    Modified 20mm Aleph Reflector
    Bare Alu Case
    20mm Max Dia 47mm Long
    10 mins full brightness burn time.
    This UYOJ bin lux is pulling 900 Ma from fresh charge.

The Aim & idea behind this light is just Raw Brightness in the smallest package. Also to be able to provide a very small bright 3 watt light for the minimum cost $$ ££.
    The final price is not known today & this project will depend on a good source of CR2 Li-ions & chargers & Reflectors from Don?
    I am satisfied with heat disapation in this small package. Because of the short Run time it gets warm but not silly.
    Aim is to supply charger 2 CR2 Li-ions & light for less than £35 $70. To be confirmed.

Any Takers for this Raw Blast of light???

Default Re: New Smallest? 3w from Orb (Raw)

It would certainly draw some interest based on the amount of interest in other super small super bright lights we have seen. What would be of real interest for me personally would be to have such a light - but with an option to switch to a much lower light setting (just a high and low). Even if the switch was a small internal dip switch that would be fine. But a light that only lasts 10 minutes with no other option and CR2's not being exactly cheap might be a bit of a holdback for some. Just a thought...

Flashaholic

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/takeit.gif[/img] U bin if possible

Li ion CR2 Rechargable

Yes I saw that but assumed it might use regular ones also. If it could be used with regular CR2's and you find your self in a situation where you need more than 10 minutes of light than you could have some backup. If it can't use regular CR2's I think it is somewhat limiting it's usefullness - not that I wouldn't want one but it would be nice to either have both battery types as an option or have a low light setting.

You can use a Regular CR2, Output would be alot less but for alot longer. Will do some tests.
    But remember The Aim & idea behind this light is just Raw Brightness in the smallest package. Also to be able to provide a very small bright 3 watt light for the minimum cost $$ ££.

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] since this is a proto, would you consider a second version with lower output and longer runtime? (Although the rechargeable batt is a *great* idea for a keychain light like this.)

I'll take one. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif[/img]

Flashaholic*

Orb, I gathered this is direct drive? If you can come up with a new dimmer switch or create some room in the tub so others can use a FireFly 2way switch or moddlers can create his or her own would be ideal. Also, at 900ma is about 3C discharging rate!! Some current limiting is better for safty.

Looks cool, I am in for two. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Thanks

I'm interested UYOJ bin please [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif[/img]

The price range you are talking about would be of interest for such a light. I look forward to more on this unit.

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
    Amorphous said:
    Orb, I gathered this is direct drive? If you can come up with a new dimmer switch or create some room in the tub so other can use a FireFly 2way switch or moddlers can create his or her own would be ideal. Also, at 900ma is about C/3 discharging rate!! Some current limiting is better for safty. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto. My highest interest would be low/high levels. -And to run on primaries. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    But, as is, I would likely get one anyway. Nice light
    Gabe

Flashaholic

I'll take the raw blast

I'm in for one [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Flashaholic*

In its current configuration I would not be interested I must say. Sure, it's a neat little toy (no offence intented here of course) but it's simply not useful (to me). Add in a two stage and I might be willing to put my wallet on a diet.

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] & [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thanks.gif[/img] for the feedback.
    I am hearing you guys Re the two stage switch.
    Will look into this.
    Having lived with Raw I personally feel the run time is plenty for EDC & on average only charge the CR2 every week. We went Sking in The French Alps for a week & They have Timers on all there Corridor lighting Energy saving yeh, but with out Raw in the pocket I would have ended up in the garbage shute! My Point is 1 week use Perhaps 3-5 mins a day I charged both CR2 s once. So the aim is to keep the cost low & with 2 Cells you can still have 20mins Guilt free a day. Just my 2 Pence worth [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Flashaholic

I don´t need the 2stage switch .
    Make it as small and bright as possible !
    Every flashoholic has at least a coin cell flashlight as a backup for lower output and longer runtime .

2 stage cr2's are available elsewhere, I think the size is the selling point I agree with Wisti. 20 minutes is plenty for a pocket light with rechargeable cells, when you consider a surefire M2 with HOLA will give you 20 minutes at around 120 lumens and this little fella with a U flux could be knocking out around 100 lumens and its a third of the length and half the width. I want one now [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

I like this little flashlight. One idea I had was maybe an accessory battery barrell to switch the head over to so you could run it off of two 123 primary or rechargeable. Also incorporate the two stage option into this too so you could still keep the Raw in it's original form, simple, bright, small light, and switch in the regulated two stage barrell when you needed it.

Any chance to change the LED when/if Vbin lux III's are available? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Put me down for one please.

Good Points Well presented Chaps. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

infact why not 2 that way I'll have more spare cells [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif[/img] cr2 cells hardly weigh ya pants down!

It sound nice...
    I'm in if there is any chance to get a 220-240v charger and french plug.
    [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/au.gif[/img]

you just gave it a french plug when you bumped the post [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif[/img]

I'd get one!

Any longer continious run times & heat in the very small head would be a problem, transfer up the battery tube yeh, but half hour run times & you have one hot rod.
    The CR2 Li-ions are very cheap & like you say Mr Flare An extra 2 of these onboard is not a problem.
    The charger is good worldwide 110 - 240 & has a lead to enable all plug types.

Go with your instinct Rob I'm definately in for 2 (as long as they're both UYOJ) [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Thanks SF & I got the plug Gag! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif[/img]

Flashaholic*

Ok, I've had some more time to think about this. I've thought about how much I use my QIII. That one has a runtime a bit over an hour IIRC and I've only changed battery in that ONCE since I got it about 4 months ago... So I think I might be interested in it after all (even without the 2-stage). Next step would be the price... hehe. Less is more as they say [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Well I'll say it again, Good Points Well Presented Chaps. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif[/img]