New Smallest? 3w from Orb (Raw)

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the last 5 weeks I have been using EDC & testing possibly the smallest brightest 3 watt lite available.
Specs: 3 watt At least T flux bin (some U Bin)
3.7 volt Li ion CR2 Rechargable 300ma
Modified 20mm Aleph Reflector
Bare Alu Case
20mm Max Dia 47mm Long
10 mins full brightness burn time.
This UYOJ bin lux is pulling 900 Ma from fresh charge.

The Aim & idea behind this light is just Raw Brightness in the smallest package. Also to be able to provide a very small bright 3 watt light for the minimum cost $$ ££.
The final price is not known today & this project will depend on a good source of CR2 Li-ions & chargers & Reflectors from Don?
I am satisfied with heat disapation in this small package. Because of the short Run time it gets warm but not silly.
Aim is to supply charger 2 CR2 Li-ions & light for less than £35 $70. To be confirmed.

Any Takers for this Raw Blast of light???

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
DSC04340.jpg

DSC04339.jpg
DSC04338.jpg

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would certainly draw some interest based on the amount of interest in other super small super bright lights we have seen. What would be of real interest for me personally would be to have such a light - but with an option to switch to a much lower light setting (just a high and low). Even if the switch was a small internal dip switch that would be fine. But a light that only lasts 10 minutes with no other option and CR2's not being exactly cheap might be a bit of a holdback for some. Just a thought...

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes I saw that but assumed it might use regular ones also. If it could be used with regular CR2's and you find your self in a situation where you need more than 10 minutes of light than you could have some backup. If it can't use regular CR2's I think it is somewhat limiting it's usefullness - not that I wouldn't want one but it would be nice to either have both battery types as an option or have a low light setting.

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can use a Regular CR2, Output would be alot less but for alot longer. Will do some tests.
But remember The Aim & idea behind this light is just Raw Brightness in the smallest package. Also to be able to provide a very small bright 3 watt light for the minimum cost $$ ££.

greenLED

Flashaholic
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif since this is a proto, would you consider a second version with lower output and longer runtime? (Although the rechargeable batt is a *great* idea for a keychain light like this.)

Amorphous

Enlightened
Orb, I gathered this is direct drive? If you can come up with a new dimmer switch or create some room in the tub so others can use a FireFly 2way switch or moddlers can create his or her own would be ideal. Also, at 900ma is about 3C discharging rate!! Some current limiting is better for safty.

Looks cool, I am in for two. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks

GiveMeLight

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Amorphous said:
Orb, I gathered this is direct drive? If you can come up with a new dimmer switch or create some room in the tub so other can use a FireFly 2way switch or moddlers can create his or her own would be ideal. Also, at 900ma is about C/3 discharging rate!! Some current limiting is better for safty. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto. My highest interest would be low/high levels. -And to run on primaries. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
But, as is, I would likely get one anyway. Nice light
Gabe

Robban

Enlightened
In its current configuration I would not be interested I must say. Sure, it's a neat little toy (no offence intented here of course) but it's simply not useful (to me). Add in a two stage and I might be willing to put my wallet on a diet.

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif & /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thanks.gif for the feedback.
I am hearing you guys Re the two stage switch.
Will look into this.
Having lived with Raw I personally feel the run time is plenty for EDC & on average only charge the CR2 every week. We went Sking in The French Alps for a week & They have Timers on all there Corridor lighting Energy saving yeh, but with out Raw in the pocket I would have ended up in the garbage shute! My Point is 1 week use Perhaps 3-5 mins a day I charged both CR2 s once. So the aim is to keep the cost low & with 2 Cells you can still have 20mins Guilt free a day. Just my 2 Pence worth /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wisti

Newly Enlightened
I don´t need the 2stage switch .
Make it as small and bright as possible !
Every flashoholic has at least a coin cell flashlight as a backup for lower output and longer runtime .

SolarFlare

Enlightened
2 stage cr2's are available elsewhere, I think the size is the selling point I agree with Wisti. 20 minutes is plenty for a pocket light with rechargeable cells, when you consider a surefire M2 with HOLA will give you 20 minutes at around 120 lumens and this little fella with a U flux could be knocking out around 100 lumens and its a third of the length and half the width. I want one now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Ctechlite

Enlightened
I like this little flashlight. One idea I had was maybe an accessory battery barrell to switch the head over to so you could run it off of two 123 primary or rechargeable. Also incorporate the two stage option into this too so you could still keep the Raw in it's original form, simple, bright, small light, and switch in the regulated two stage barrell when you needed it.

Any chance to change the LED when/if Vbin lux III's are available? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Put me down for one please.