How much current through a MAg85 battery pack?

mdarby

Newly Enlightened
I am experimenting with different batteries (count and number) for a Mag85 mod. I don't have a sophisticated testing bench, just a digital multimeter.

What I would like to do is just set my meter on the <10A DCA test (essentially shorting the pack) and measure current. I could then get a sense of the total internal resistance of the pack.

Doing this with normal C, D, and AA batteries seems to work and provide currents in the 1-5A range.

I know I could wire a bulb or known resistor in series, but that would be a little more complicated.

Can anybody with a working, Mag85 pack with good batteries measure the current through the pack? It would help me know how far off I am. Currently, my Mag85 is not much brighter than my MC60, so I suspect my batteries are at fault, perhaps the 3AA-D converters.

Thanks in advance for anybody who can provide a measurement from their setup.

Michael

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am using a Meterman 34XR DMM, the Mag85 has three EL 3toD adapters with Sanyo 2100mAH cells. I'm getting readings around 2.8A. HTH..

mdarby

Newly Enlightened
KevinL,

Thanks! Are you using 8 or 9 cells? Also, what is the best place to purchase those cells? Are they the same as the Energizer of the same capacity?

Best,
Michael

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
9 cells. MORE LUMENS /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

I've heard things that Energizer is simply a rebadged Sanyo, but having never handled Energizers, I can't say for sure. I buy mine from a local battery shop that sells all shapes and sizes so I avoid shipping charges, but if you need an online source you can try http://www.batterystation.com/nicads.htm . They are a CPF supporting dealer as well and have always taken care of us. They used to have 2100s, but it seems that there are only 2300s on the site. Even my local shop does not have 2100s any longer, perhaps they are being phased out in favor of the 'latest and greatest' 2300/2500mAH.