• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired USL updates!!! 4/5/2005

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Overseas USL buyers!!!!

Jim Sexton has located a reasonable cost power supply for the Triton. This supply is a switching power supply that is much lighter than the Pyramid and thus more reasonably shipped overseas.

It is also more expensive, but the extra cost is much less than the shipping would be!

I plan on sending this to all the overseas buyers, but need to know if you need me to supply the cord for your individual country, or if you can do so. Please reply by PM to me so that I can keep it straight.

The slightly increased cost of this charger will be added to the shipping cost at shipping time, so your shipping costs will be less than they would be with the Pyramid, while the power supply costs will be slightly more, your overall costs will be less.

3/30/2005

There is now a USL field test thread in the Modified section. Field testers please use it.

3/28/2005

The field test lights are on their way, USPS Priority Mail, insured.

I shipped the light and charger in one box, the power supply in another, since it just fit into a flat rate box. It is a little cheaper to ship this way, but a major hassle to prepare 2 separate boxes. I still haven't come up with the ultimate solution for shipping, since I still haven't found the ideal box size, to do it in one.

In addition, the cost to ship will be about $30 within the US, and substantially more outside using the USPS.

I'm still working on other options and have set up FedEx account for shipping, but the box issue is still a problem.

MrBulk, TVODRD, and Litho123 are due deliveries in a few days and Cuo003 not too long after that. Cue003, I had a few special tests I need to run on the light you are getting.

You will also all receive instructions on charging and use in the next 24 hours or so.

I hope you all, or at least some of you, will post pictures ASAP!!

3/23/2005

The field test Tritons arrived yesterday.

The first field test unit was completed last night and works beautifully. We will make one small adjustment in the production can that holds the socket to allow the use of different bulb variants.

Right now I am on hold waiting for the Borofloat lenses and more sockets for the rest of the field test units and the production run. If they take more than 2 days, I will ship the 2 units I have to Larry and Charlie and send the rest when the parts arrive.

Bill

3/21/2005

The power supplies arrived today, as did the switches and the field test battery packs.

The first of the Triton's should arrive tommorrow, and the field test lights will be together and shipped by the end of the week. (I have a busy week with work!)

Would any field testers that I have previously contacted and that still wish to be involved please PM me!

Charlie and Larry, I know you are still in!

Bill

For those of you who are following the USL, but don't often look at the Homemade/Mods forum, there is a new mini-review by Modamag here:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=911529&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=365&fpart=1

Bill

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: USL First Look!!!

Me, me, but that is wishful thinking /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Great to hear that the project is on track though!!

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast

KevinL,

I wanted to make you a tester, but the shipping time back and forth with a heavy package just takes too long!

js just went thru a nightmare with one of his packages to Europe for a field tester.

Bill

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would have loved to have been picked as a field tester.

Curtis

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

Bill, I'm honored by the fact that you even mentioned it to me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

Understand perfectly the shipping issue; actually shipping it out here is not the problem, the return trip is the hassle. Much as I love the USL, I can't justify $55 each way for FedEx International Priority which WILL give me time-guaranteed delivery both to the US and here. But.. $110, ow! Might as well buy an A2 Aviator right /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

WTB: teleporter gateway. Must be able to transport up to Maglite sized objects to and from the US. I have cash PP or willing to trade for exotic little lights /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PS: Welcome to the U2 crowd. You now own the ultimate practical light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif (in the commercial-grade class, that is)

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast

Haven't bought one yet! My deal fell through.

I'm still of the opinion that an A2 is more practical, but that may change once I have carried a U2 for a while.

Bill

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've found the A2 and U2 compliement each other pretty well. The U2's biggest fault, IMO, is that it's lowest level is too high to allow it to be a complete solution.

Here are some measurements I've taken using a light meter and a lightbox apparatus similar to quickbeam's:

Spot @ 1 m
<ul type="square">[*]Aviator, Red - 11 lux
[*]CPF SE LionHeart, next to lowest level on UI2 - 300 lux
[*]U2, lowest level - 90 lux[/list]
Overall using milk carton apparatus
<ul type="square">[*]Aviator, Red - 290 lux
[*]CPF SE LionHeart, next to lowest level on UI2 - 492 lux
[*]U2, lowest level - 580 lux[/list]
Better get back on topic ...

I wonder if the USL's going to MELT my lightmeter? I know that it will ignite my lightbox! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I've added a link to this thread at the very top of the payment info thread.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ran a little test for some of my older kids friends last night:

Burn through of 12 pages of newsprint in 14 seconds, with fire starting at that point.

Yeah, that is a hot beam!!!

Guess we've got it overdriven about the right amount!

Bill

naromtap

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
bwaites said:
Ran a little test for some of my older kids friends last night:

Burn through of 12 pages of newsprint in 14 seconds, with fire starting at that point.

Yeah, that is a hot beam!!!

Guess we've got it overdriven about the right amount!

Bill

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that is bad news as I was going to use the USL to read my magazines under the bed covers after my mummy has told me to switch my light out! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

mst3k

Enlightened

Hmmmmmmm why am I already, in my mind, reading in the newspaper about some airline pilots reporting the entire cockpit being engulfed in a (bright as the sun) white light at midnight. UFO's?? Nope USL :0

And no, I would never ever do this, but you know someone will.

Luna

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
naromtap said:
Now that is bad news as I was going to use the USL to read my magazines under the bed covers after my mummy has told me to switch my light out! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh so you are reading and not looking at pictures. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
bwaites said:
Haven't bought one yet! My deal fell through.

I'm still of the opinion that an A2 is more practical, but that may change once I have carried a U2 for a while.

Bill

[/ QUOTE ]

Throw wise, I'm not too sure. I am not trying to start a flame war but the U2 seems to throw as well as the lower powered incans. It out-throws my E2e, and matches the P90. I tested it against the P90 in deliberately difficult conditions - 3AM in the middle of the night, under the glare of the yellow sodium vapor lamps in the car park lighting up the sides of a building. I was holding both lights side by side and I simply couldn't find a target, whether the building or the trees, that the P90 provided an advantage over the U2. As you know they always say the best way to find out is to see it for yourself, and I haven't yet. They haven't recommended any changes to my test setup either as I asked. Of course, with Turboheads and more lumens the whole equation changes, but I'm trying to compare a pair of 100+ lumen lights with each other and so far, seems equal.

The A2's advantage is IMMEDIATE access to the high beam. If we're talking microseconds here (and I can envision some scenarios a lot more demanding than I usually find myself in) where single-handed, immediate access to the high beam is crucial, the two-stage switch is the way to go. This applies to all two-stage switches whether Surefire or McE2S. The U2 does not have this, ideally you'd use both hands to tweak the bezel.

But I like the clickie and don't find myself in those situations. The six levels of light are excellent if you 'power manage' your lights to get the most out of them. I can actually find a use for all six.

Try it, though. I find the 100+ lumen output is nice. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif it covers all my low-powered lighting needs, beyond that we have monsters like the Mag3X, Mag2HID, Pelican and USL /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast

Most of my practicality thoughts have more to do with size and ability to EDC it versus light output.

The other piece is that low just isn't low!

For instance, last weekend I had to replace a stove top, which required getting into the crawlspace beneath my house.

I took a headlamp and the A2. The headlamp has 3 5MM Nichias just like the A2, plus a high powered central Incan. Once I was down there, the Incans were too bright in the close quarters, and I ended up using only the LED's on the two lights.

The other problem is the simple size of the U2. I can pocket clip the A2 in my dress pants pockets and not know it's there. A2 on the left pocket clipped, Benchmade 740 Ti on the right, same mode.

Bill

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ah, yes. I carry my L4 when wearing dress pants, the U2 is just a little bit too massive. However, to me, more lumens is good, I cannot imagine working by two Nichias alone. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif (different eyes and perception, I suppose).

Anyway good luck with your U2, everybody needs to find their own 'perfect' EDC. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Now about being able to fit that USL into jeans pockets.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: USL updates!!!

[ QUOTE ]
bwaites said:
...We will make one small adjustment in the production can that holds the socket to allow the use of different bulb variants...

[/ QUOTE ]
That means variants with a GY6.35 base, right?

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

Cool. I was looking at a hardware store's selection of bulbs a couple of days ago, and they have lots of options in GY6.35. I ran across the 64440, and I am not the only one - this bulb comes to mind because of the Aurora.

The axial filaments are rated for 4k hours lifespan vs 2k hours, that is the advantage.

According to the datasheets:
64440 IRC, 12V 50W, 1200bLu
64440S Starlite, 12V 50W, 910bLu, axial filament
64440 standard, 12V 50W, 910bLu, transverse filament

64432 IRC, 12V 35W, 900bLu
64432S Starlite, 12V 35W, 600bLu, axial filament
64432 standard, 12V 35W, 600bLu, transverse filament

I can't seem to find the IRC bulbs locally, but they'd provide a lot more light. Amazing what a little engineering can do.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast

That is correct guys!

However, remember that the stealth head requires a relatively compact bulb to keep the filament in the correct focus, even if you can move the socket a little.

Not all 6.35 bulbs will work.

Bill