Copy Cat - McAleph

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys,

Just wanted to share this with you.

I've always been a big fan of the older McLux lights, especially the McLux PR. Of course these had their draw backs, most noteably, their lack of Aleph flexibility.

I've been thinking about this project for sometime, but it took the interest of a fellow CPFer, who is just about the worst of the flashaholics, to get me moving on it.

This is what wound up dropping out of my lathe.

picture.JPG

picture.JPG

picture.JPG

It is a McLux look alike, of sorts. Although it closely resembles a McLux PR, we opted to go with a sleeker looks by omitting the fins in the head. We also decided to go with the Aleph bezel ring system. It think it does a better job of keeping the water out.

The best part of this head is that it's Aleph LE compatible and sports a standard McR27 reflector.

I used an Aleph bezel ring, for the purposes of testing, but I'm going to turn a glow bezel ring for it to finish it off.

It's really nothing mind boggling, but I thought that it had an air of nostalgia about it and I just wanted to share.

Thanks for looking,

paulr

Flashaholic
I like the head. The SF E1 body just looks pedestrian these days and it would be great if you turned out something nicer. I particularly bemoan the lack of non-knurled lights since this is one of the things that made the original McLux so attractive. The lack of knurls is also one of the things I like about the stainless steel Peak lights. If only they weren't so darn heavy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif.

Darell

Flashaholic
Have you checked out the CR2-F bodies? No knurl, baby. And the 2x123-F bodies just have a tiny band. The wave of the future... mark my words.

Oh, but wait... this is about that sexy head. I really do like how uncluttered it looks. Tons of sink there, eh?

chrisse242

Enlightened
I always thought the PR-head looks much better than the Aleph1. Though I miss the cooling fins on your head I still like it better than the Aleph.
Great work! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

Chrisse

Gander_Man

Newly Enlightened
Chop,
Nice work. It's perfect! It's like an honoring tribute to the Skunk Works crew *S* Who ever that CPF'er is that inspired you to build that beauty has good taste. Have you found an emitter worthy of that jewel /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif?

It's perfect,
Russ

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the simple smooth/brushed design. Always digging for these type of texture.

Looks like a tall turbo head.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Nice head Tony! The light's head that is ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
bernie

P.S.: the grass was always greener in the past ...

Gander_Man

Newly Enlightened
Don,
If me and Chop need a room, you and I need a marriage license /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
............wait a minute! I don't like where this is going!!!!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif
XOX,
Russ