Got my Reactor 3 Today!

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
First impression was good it has a nice bright white center beam just a slightly green on the edges. I will post some pictures this weekend.

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does it feel comfortable? Is it still a twist on head? How's battery changing? Is it possible to remove the head and drive it without the resistor so that it's like MR Bulk's LGI? Is the head plastic or alu? Drop test?

Heh, sorry for asking so many questions at once. Just excited.

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
JT,
I got mine today too. I'm very impressed. It has no visiable green, & believe it or not, it's as bright as my LGI. TX

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Nerd:
Does it feel comfortable? Is it still a twist on head? How's battery changing? Is it possible to remove the head and drive it without the resistor so that it's like MR Bulk's LGI? Is the head plastic or alu? Drop test?

Heh, sorry for asking so many questions at once. Just excited.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yes; Yes; Same as rhe Reactor 2AA; Can't remove head, but think it's DD, as it's already as bright as my LGI; Plastic; Not clumsey. :>) TX

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by jtivat:
First impression was good it has a nice bright white center beam just a slightly green on the edges. I will post some pictures this weekend.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Look forward to the pics. Can you take some of the flashlight itself from different angles, with reference to the old one or another light to see size comparison.

Thanks!

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
I happened to have a piece of foam tubeing sitting here & sure enough, it fits the Reactor 3 handle perfectly. Its from the cheap foam handle covers you buy at WalMart for those 10 speed bikes. Increases the size of the handle, insulates it, & gives it a nice padded grip feel. TX

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
And it also inhibit heat removal by air conventions... How hot does it get? Did anyone try a run time test?

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is a beam pic the reactor on the left and the Arc LS on the right.
R-3-vs-LS.jpg

and here is a size comparison.
6P-ASP-TL.jpg

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Nerd:
And it also inhibit heat removal by air conventions... How hot does it get? Did anyone try a run time test?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Nerd,
I didn't do a long run test, but at the end of 20 min, constant on, the head was just warm enough to tell it had been on. If it hadn't been such a cool evening, you may not have felt it at all. The metal body had no heat transfer. TX

brightnorm

Flashaholic
I was initially impressed by my two Reactor III's but subsequently disappointed by their relatively quick fade (even on lithiums). I find the Reactor II and Inretech superior for their very long burn along with their smaller, lighter configuration.

Brightnorm

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
Brightnorm how does the brightness compare though?

I just got a ReactorIII from thedealsite (great transaction)I really like it. It is a bit awkward but not terrible. This is my first LS light and I am impressed. In another year maybe I'll get another LS light. For now my light budget, and wife's tolerance, is used up.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Yes Norm and txwest, I too would like to know about the brightness. If jtivat's beamshot photo is any indication, something is wrong with txwest's LGI. I test all LGI's (before sending them out) and they absolutely blow away my Arc LS (and I've been told by other local Arc LS owners who've seen mine that I have a particularly bright one)...I do know that txwest had problems with dimming DD mods after using rechargeables in them -- txwest, have you been using rechargeables in your LGI? I must know because I have been thinking about backing off from warning LGI owners to use only alkalines...

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
Charlie,
I missed this post when you made it. Picked it up on a link from another thread. My LGI is very close in brightness to my original 1st run ARC LS running on 2 lithiums. Slightly brighter than the Reactor 3. The batteries in the LGI are are reading about 1.45V, so it would probably be a little brighter with brand new ones. On the rechargables, I haven't put rechargables in any LS that has more than 2 batteries, since the problem with Wayne's. TX
Edit:
Just pulled out all 3 lights. In brightness, the ARC LS is an "8"; the Reactor 3 a "9", & the LGI, a "10". Probably about 10% difference in each step.