CMG Ultra

xtan1x

Newly Enlightened
Hey everyone,

Just wondering what the physical dimaensions are on a CMG Ultra (including diameter). I want to determine whether it would be pocketable for me or not. And the extra runtime over the Arc AAA is nice too.

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Run time is around 15 hours plus. I don't deem it to be very pocketable. ARC AAA is a much better pocket carry. The Ultra would be slung around the neck or kept in a harvesack etc.

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the Ultra is quite pocketable.

It's about the size of a shotgun shell. It is a little large to carry on a keychain (although, some forum members do).

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I pocket the Ultra. It's my EDC. Usually wear Dockers. At this point I'm choosing runtime over size.

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
I pocket the Ultra. I hang my keys on the top of my pocket and let the Ultra hang just below the keys. Goes unnoticeable for the most part.

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very pocketable, but I normally keep mine on a neck lanyard for late night trips downstairs.

It is roughly the size of a 20ga shotgun shell it that helps any.

Bobvvue02

Newly Enlightened
Have an ARC AAA and CMG Infinity (same size as Ultra, less light, more run time) The Arc is on my keychain right now. The CMG is just too big for my liking to be on my keychain. When wearing around my neck, I didn't even remever the CMG was there. With a run time of 7-8 hours continuous on the ARC AAA, I figure with the intermitent 5 minuntes here, 5 minutes there use, it will last me 6 months on a battery. I really can't complain with the ARC battery life.

I have the Ininity (w/amber LED) as a reading light for my wife in bed and the car. The Infinity is VERY nice for that. Being dimmer than the Ultra it doesn't distract the driver, but is more than adequate for reading.

Both have their place. For me, the ARC battery life is really more than sufficient for intermitent use. Plus with the ARC smaller size it is really cool to show people what LEDs can do.
(IMHO)

r2

Enlightened
I find the Ultra too big for my keychain. It's a better size for hanging on your backpack or leaving in the car (with a lithium battery so it can handle the temperature ranges). I use mine as a reading light or to light up my keyboard when I'm playing a game with the lights out. AA batteries are practically free in bulk so it is a great light for when you plan to run it for a while.

I find the Arc AAA much better for carrying all the time on my keychain. I don't normally use it for long periods of time so I'm still on my original battery after a year of carrying (I actually switch between my CPF edition and an EV turq, both on their original batteries).

Be warned, though, the battery life on the Ultra is not nearly what they advertise. Brock did a runtime test with a rather disappointing result:

http://www.uwgb.edu/nevermab/battery.htm

After 5 hours it was to 1/2 initial brightness.

I think others have tested it and got longer runtime than 5 hours, but most reports agree that 10 hours is the most you can expect with good light. That's only about double what you get with an Arc AAA.

- Russ

xtan1x

Newly Enlightened
That doesnt seem to big IMO to not be pocketable. After all I have plenty of cargo pants, and already carry wallet/cell phone/digital camera/flashlight/keys/Palm pilot, so it will not be a big deal to just add a little (compared to everything else i carry) CMG Ultra. I would get an arc aaa, but this will see a lot of use.

coolguy

Newly Enlightened
Just ordered one on Tuesday from TTS. Should be coming today if it was shipped the day I ordered it! I can't wait!
grin.gif
grin.gif

L3

Newly Enlightened
As a seller of CMG Infinity Ultra, and as personal appreciator of fine products, I must say that this is an absolutely superb product. While no flashlight product can be all things to all people, the Infinity Ultra, for its purpose, is tough to beat. Quality and performance in terms of materials, precision machining, electronic circuit design, optical output, and battery life make this a very desirable utility and emergency light.

A worthwhile accessory for any appreciator of LED technology.

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
The main Infinity Ultra advantage is that you can run it off a Lithium, that and it's brighter and cheaper than the Arc AAA.

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I read (on the pack) that using Alkalines could reduce the life of the led? Is that really possible?

Anyone know why they have not used a lens to focus the beam?

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Adding a lens would add to the size, weight and cost, and IMHO make the light less useful. The broad even beam of these single LED lights make them great task and general purpose lights. I've never found much use for the highly focused beams of the Brinkman Longlife, PS Impact, Turtlelight I, etc.

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oops! Pasted the wrong thing into my post above. should have pasted the following quote:

Anyone know why they have not used a lens to focus the beam?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">