O-Sink reflector project

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been thinking (dangerous) about something for a while now and I have finally figured out how to do it. So
my next project is a reflector.
I have found a shop to do the finishing (chrome) another shop to do the PRE-FINISH.
The Key to this reflector project is that it is going to be made with a new "O"sink in mind. (I may be able to do one which is backward compatible with newer O-Sinks as well in the future)
The pedestal will be threaded and the reflector will screw onto the pedestal.
What is really cool about this is the fact that the opening where the emitter goes into the the reflector will be much tighter (just big enough for the actual light emitting part of the emitter) than the MAG reflector. Hopfully making for a much tighter beam.
I was just wondering of you guys care about being able to focus your flashlight. (Personally all of my mag conversions are set for tightest beam possible) By nature this new heatshik/reflector combination will be fixed focus. It will be a VERY TIGHT beam.
Open to your thoughts on this.
Heck are you people even interested in this sort of thing?
Please let me know.
Of course if there is not much interest I won't even bother to go further with it.
Yaesumofo

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
What would be awesome is to have one with a tight beam with some sidespill or just one with tight beam and another with a fixed flood or medium flood.

StuU

Enlightened
I like adjustable or flood. A constant tight hotspot like the standard 3D Mag is OK but not all that functional because of the tight beam.
Stu

MrMimizu

Enlightened
I like to have my mags at tightest beam i can get but once in a while the flood is useful.
But I'd be interested in an osink/reflector combo but i'm cheap so it would depend on the cost. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Sounds interesting if the reflector is of higher quality than the Mag reflector.

I have to confess that I tend to mess with the focus on my own mags on a regular basis.

AuroraLite

Enlightened
Sounds like a very interesting project, though I must admit I too also like the focusable ability of Maglite and would like to keep it.

Is there any way we could make just the new reflector(thin Al?) with narrower opening?

Also I second what Cy said, if the new o-sink with new reflector could use the 'star' instead of emitter, then we could make the opening ultimately small and thus possibly tightest beam! Not only it will be so user friendly, it improves beam quality too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
James,

Although I am confident you will, I just want to ask that you please make sure you do the extensive testing required to come up with the "right" parabolic curvature in your new reflector. I know we spoke of it briefly during PK's SHOT Party, and the actual prime focal point of a Lux High-Dome in the current Maglite reflector requires that the bottom edge of the reflector's hole be actually situated behind and below the Lux's clear dome, and in fact nearly past the Lux's black base! This is the reason current Mag mods must use bare emitters that ride atop little pedestals, as it's the only way to achieve the optimally tightest focus.

There are plenty of reflector examples out there with leeeetle teeeeeny holes that just clear and then butt down around the bottom of the Lux's dome alone; however, they are also usually loooong and talllllll...look at SureFire's L6 reflector for an example of what I'm talking about. So you'd need to make sure it is not So tall that it no longer fits under the Maglite's screw-down bezel; although theoretically if it was long enough with juuuuust the riiiight (extremely gradual) curvature it could even produce something remotely akin to a laser beam...

Not trying to discourage, but to help. In fact I commend you for attempting to move the State of the (Mag-mods) Art forward!

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for all the input guys!!
I will be working on some straight up alunimum mag reflectors, in parallel with the idea of connecting the reflectors to O-Sinks.
Mr bulk....Laserlike is what we are looking for here, Like fry the hair off your arm with light kind of stuff.

That may be a bit extreeme but I think you get it,
we will see where it all goes in the next few weeks.
Yaesumofo

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
nexro, whew! For some reason I first thought your post said, "would be good if a far (fire) can be started".../ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the solder fumes have gotten to Charley finaly... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Yaesumofo: I'm down. I don't use the focus because it gets the black hole and the beam becomes too dim. If I need close up work I use the side spill or grab a tri-lux mag or nx05 sized light.

Tight is great for reach. I say don't try to comprimise, if your gonna go to the trouble, make it all out throw pencil beam! Perhaps deeper would work as long as it cleared the ledge in the head of the light, you could therotically have a super long reflector as long as you can unscrew the head enough to accomodate the extra length. Just make sure the reflector bottoms out on the heatsink first somewhere and doesn't bottom out on the lux so if you screw the head down it doesn't crush it!

Also in regards to the small opening, I'm not sure that will work as MrBulk Said. I have put LuxV, and LuxIII on flat heatsinks and then sanded the mag reflector just a bit on the back without removing the reflectivness, and was able to focus to the tightest spot and beyond. The tightest spot is just barely past the bottom of the base.

So in this case it might be best to go with the deeper reflector anyways, big hole or not. Why change the reflector a little (small opening) when you could change it drastically (longer)? Throw BABY!!!

This deep reflector could work good to focus the new Cree UV led that doesn't have that wide of a beam angle too.

Kryosphinx

Enlightened
Like I said in your other post,you could make a pedestal addition to raise the height of the emitter to work with a 2 degree carclo optic... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif
BTW: I never focus my mag.

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,
[ QUOTE ]
yaesumofo said:
.....Heck are you people even interested in this sort of thing?
Please let me know.
Of course if there is not much interest I won't even bother to go further with it.
Yaesumofo

[/ QUOTE ]

James are you kidding??? An even needlier needle beam??? Oooooh Ooooooh!!
As Charlie said, you might need a deep reflector to catch more of the side spill. Since you're designing the heatsink to go with it, the Lux could be put at just about any depth you wanted. Ya know, waaaay down in the Mug body so the reflector could be deep.
My vote is for adjustable focus if possible. I suspect that if the 'flector is made for a tight beam and the the light source is placed anywhere BUT the focal point. The "donut hole" phenominon sp will be even more obvious than the present reflector. I don't know this, just a feeling.
Go man, go!!!!