Aleph head to kill the KL1?

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Which reflector/converter combo would I need to kill the KL1's throw. I like the size of the hot spot and the throw on the KL1, but I NEED the spill. (The KL1 is blinding at close range and still somehow distracts people close by off to the side) I also would like a 1 hr run time on 1x123. Thanks! (something to compliment the L4)

StuU

Enlightened
Get the smaller head- the Aleph II. It's got a great hotspot but also very strong spill. And combine this with the 500 Nexgen converter board....

Also, check out the CPF McGizmo forum where the real Aleph fans have a running Aleph discussion....

Joseph

Enlightened
If I'm not wrong, Aleph II with NG500 puts out around 1200 lux while KL1 puts 1600 with two cells. Aleph 1 will outthrow KL1 since it puts out around 2500 lux.

I saw this on one of the McGizmo threads. There are good descriptions on Aleph with nice pictures and graphs.

Joseph

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I saw those already, but the "real life" pics have too much going around to see the hot spot. How is the spill/hot spot on the A1?

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Aleph1 ... just like the LioNHeart, the Gladius and the McLux btw ... big spill, relatively weak when compared to the hot hotspot. The 27mm reflector is a throw monster in its size class.

Pics of a DB917 in various heads:

relux320.jpg

Aleph2 (20mm) ... 1375 lux

relux327.jpg

Aleph1 (27mm) ... 3260 lux

relux338.jpg

Aleph3 (38mm) ... 4930 lux

bernhard

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
Although I have seen your beamshots before Bern, I never bothered to ask this: What is that thing your lights are aiming at? It looks like a spaceship or something on a tri-pod.

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm...the Aleph III has a nice LARGE hot spot that pieces...too big for a pocket though. I'm gonna carry my Roguesoul with a SO27X reflector for a while and see how it is. Sorta similar to the Aleph I/PR

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you need spill, with throw about equivalent to that of the newer KL1, then an Aleph II running at about 700mA is in order. This will get you about one hour of runtime. You could go for a nexgen750 and run it one either a 123 or a li-ion cell. If you want more throw than you get with the KL1, with a decent sidespill, then you'll want to go with an Aleph I. An A1 will out right stomp an KL1 in terms of throw.

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want a large, yet far throwing hot spot with 1hr runtime on a CR123 (not expecting a "moon" mode) Will the NG750 start up in safe mode with a fresh batt or full power? What NG BB do you recommend for the A1?
My So27X rogue soul has too small a hotspot, but throws. I hope the 27mm PR/A1 will have a bigger hotspot, but if not, I'll go with the A2. (I could always get a A1 LEless head)

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dont expect that large of a hotspot from an SO27 reflector. I believe they were really designed to have a small hotspot, while pwning in throw with still plenty of spill.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are going to limit yourself to a single cell light running a Lux III, then the characteristics of "a large hotspot" and "throw" are going to be mutually exclusive. Throw comes from having a more focused beam. The wider the hotspot, the less throw you will have.

If you want a big hotspot with lots of throw, the you may need a Lux V in an Aleph III head.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let's put this another way, how much is an aleph-II gonna cost to kill a KL-1? I want the same throw and with a reflector, plus nice no foodish sidespill.

Reason I ask, is i do want a chop modded head for SF/VG 1x123 bodies, or an aleph and as small as possible.

So as far as an aleph goes chop, or anyone else, what do you reccomend as far as LE, reflector and module for this.

Also chop:
Do you still do a E1e head mod like the one i saw on a thread way back in spring/summer? can that get me close to a new KL-1 in throw? That thing was sooo cool! PM me if needed. VDG

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Mags ... it's a very evil remote-controlles infra-red driven room defender gun /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Here's the pic with an Aleph3 and a LuxV driven at 917mA with the same camera settings and surroundings as the first pics:

relux538.jpg

3450 lux

bernhard

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Holy crap, but too big and drains too much power from a 123.
I just saw how deep the Aleph 2 was. I was afraid that it would give me that pure flood beam like my L4, but I didn't realize it was soo deep!

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bern: Really? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif
Anyway, remember what Chop said, that it would be hard to get a lot of throw out of a big hotspot. If you really need that throw, and dont mind a small hotspot, then just go for a 27mm (Aleph 1) reflector. I am not so sure about the converter board as I have very little experience in those.

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't need throw to hit stuff across the street etc, just something for picking out things inside. The L4 lights up the entire place, but doesn't penetrate into the little spaces

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, I do still do the E head mods. The benefit to this mod is its size, or the lack of it. The modded E head on a VG body is tiny. IIRC, it comes in at just under or at 3" long.

As for the performance of the E head mod, bernie might be able to give you a real world use angle on this. He has two models of E head mods and a few A2s, I believe.

From my experience, I can say this. The KL1 on a two cell body will edge out an Aleph II (running at 500mA) in terms of throw, but the Aleph II has all of that sidespill. One of the benefits of the Aleph II is that you can crank the current up a bit, if you feel the need to, to eeck a bit more throw out of the light. With issues of cost aside, the Aleph II is a better all around light.

Now, when comparing the Aleph II to the E head mod, the Aleph II will win out in terms of throw. It's simple, the Aleph II has a 20mm reflector and the E mod has a 17mm reflector. Larger reflector means more throw.

At this point I'll defer to bernie, who has a lux meter to expand on the above statements, if he wishes to.

As a final note, I can say that I carry a modded E head with a NexGen350 LE on a VG body as my "I always have it with me" light. It's small, more than sufficiently bright, and very easy to carry in a pocket. I typically wear a suit and having bulky things in my pockets just screw up the lines in my tailored suits. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

When I'm wearing jeans or casual pants that allow it, I carry an Aleph II with a pocket clip attached to the switch. When the pants are kind of baggy, I go for an Aleph I head.

What's funny about having the E head mod with me all of the time is that I hardly ever use the Arc AAA that is on my keychain.

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Chop!
I'll go with the A2. As long as it throws further than the 600 lux the L4 puts out, I'll be happy!