I know this could be really cool....

trivergata

Enlightened
I came home a while ago, and sitting next to my apartment dumpster was no other than a stop light. What's a light-junkie supposed to do? I picked it up, of course. After a little investigation thru the local PD, I found out that a light was replaced, and the guys apparently dammaged one section. Instead of facing the wrath of their boss, they dumped it. Finders keepers! It is a red LED array, and is powered off of 12VDC. The array has a driver board, and 120 (that's right, 120) red LED's. It comes with a fresnel lense that flattens out the beam, and draws 2.4 amps, or so. I've hooked it up to my car, and it throws pretty well without the lense - brighter, and out throws my HDS EDC Ultimate 60 on high. I thought that it would make one crazy mag mod, or the biggest, brightest tail light ever. Really though, it seems to have alot of potential, but what to do with a 12" diameter array?

Any suggestions? I don't want such a cool find to go to waste, but I'm not sure what to do with it.

Josh

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
go to big lots or family dollar and pick up an 'el cheapo hand held 'super' spotlight, ya know, the kind with the big lens. Take out the light and reflector and replace with the LED array. these units 'should' have a 12v SLA battery and useually come with a charger. It would also be cool to have this 'torch' equiped with a 2 stage switch, off/bright/melt /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Jeff

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
haha great idea WildRice. Portable red death! And the runtime would be good too. I like it!! Would be great for signaling, or getting attention to a whole area. Or lighting up a room red.

Taillights would be insane. Expect to be fined and tick a lot of drivers off behind you!!!

trivergata: did you just get a red or is there another color too?

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the tune of this thread, I humbley add this link .
I did an ebay search for 'led traffic light' and the above cought my attention.
Just sharin'
Jeff

trivergata

Enlightened
Hays, the only one was the red unit - the housing is damaged (the big square yellow part) but the array and lense are perfect. I'll post beamshots as soon as I can - I've never used an image host.
Greenlight - PM me if you want the lense - I'm sure I won't use that. If anyone can put the assembly to better use, let me know. I'm sure a trade would be welcome.
Josh

greenLED

Flashaholic
We scored a pedestrian crossing LED assembly (the hand) at a yard sale. It was less than $5 IIRC. I should post pics of it sometime.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
greenLED said:
We scored a pedestrian crossing LED assembly (the hand) at a yard sale. It was less than $5 IIRC. I should post pics of it sometime.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting! I'd like to see the layout of the LEDs in that one. The hand pattern has always appeared excessively "dot-ty" to me for lack of a better word.