Chess Variants

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
I was going to post a want to buy/trade in B/S/T for Fouray Chess But decided that this could be an interesting thread here.

So what type of chess variants have you played? Me?
Fouray at friends--8x8 board with 4 3x8 'wings'. 4 player, pawns can move up to 3 first move, when you check mate you take control of mated player.

Asia Chess same friend--8x8 board but you play on lines, quite different from chess. I liked it slightly. I'm not looking for a set /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Monster Chess--Regular chess set, white side has 4 pawns and 1 king, other is normal, the catch--the understaffed player moves twice in a row. Nice to play, amazing how a queen with two moves (a pawn to back row /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ) covers the board.

I used to have a 3-D board. not like Star Trek but three clear plastic boards one above the other. Too easy or too hard depending on competition.

BF Hammer

Enlightened
I've seen the Fouray chess only on a web site. It looks interesting, but it really is an entirely different game.

I just play regular chess and occassionaly play a blitz game with a timer at my regular Monday night chess club.

Banshee

Enlightened
Knightmare Chess by Steve Jackson games is the only variant I've ever played

http://www.sjgames.com/knightmare/

Kind of a melding of Magic:The Gathering and chess where plauers draw cards that can effect each move. Havent played in YEARS..but I rememeber it being quite fun