Rechargeable Batteries for Streamlight TL-3

alexandrosz

Newly Enlightened
Hello!
I'm new here sorry if it's an old question. Is there a battery (and charger) for the TL-3 Xenon flashlight?
Thanks in advance for Your help.

Alex

buba

Newly Enlightened
Welcome to CPF. You have made an great choice in the 3cell TL-3. Never return to the CPF forums else your wallet will be drained by the goodies discussed here.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Be careful on R123 batteries as only protected/regulated cells will limit the voltage to 3V. It is my understanding the protected/regulated 3V r123's have a lower capacity but I do not know the details.

Here is a link to bulb alternatives that would support the 3.7V (4.2V off the charger) r123's. Tl-3 R123's and bulbs

Light-Edge sells some of the bulb alternatives Light Edge

I highly recommend the Battery Station brand of CR123's at $1 ea, Kevin also has good pricing to 3.7/4.2V r123's and chargers.
Battery Station

Jon of J. S. Burly's also sells protected 3V r123's and Pila batteries and chargers. JSBurly

The search function will open years of data to you, enjoy
Your 1st post and it opens up the possibility of your 1st flashlight mod, the next step too flashaholism /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

alexandrosz

Newly Enlightened
Hi buba and other guys!

Thanks for helping me. I've got a lot of help from You now I have to check these links and advices, so I'm back soon with further questions /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Thanks again.

alex

alexandrosz

Newly Enlightened
So, here I'm again with the first question /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
buba show me bulb alternatives for TL-3. So do I have to change bulb if I want to use 3.7/4.2V r123's and chargers?

buba

Newly Enlightened
Three 3.7/4.2V r123's (11.1V-12.6V) would most likely blow your 9V stock TL-3 bulb.

alexandrosz

Newly Enlightened
SO...I think I start to understand what to do /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I have to change the original 9V bulb to a special around 12V. After this I can use the flashlight with Three 3.7/4.2V r123's. But, I've searched special bulbs mentioned in the other topic, but I haven't found for example "Welch Allyn 01314" or others... Can somebody help me to find the right bulb for my TL-3?

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Stick with the stock bulb, and use two R123's and a dummy cell made of aluminum the same length and width of the 123 cell, or a bolt the same size. SureFire does sell a beautiful dummy 123 cell, you would have to call to order it, or check out one of the many web dealers that sell SF products. I am just getting into the R123 world and so far am very pleased with output of the cells. See the thread in the battery forum regarding true output of R123 cells. Three R123 cells are being evaluated in that thread. Good luck.

Bill

alexandrosz

Newly Enlightened
Hi chevrofreak!

Thanks. Will I get much lower output and shorter run time?

Bullzeyebill!

The question is the same. Your solution looks much cheaper I think but price is not everything...

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pila 150S batteries are rated at 1000mAH while a stock CR123a is 1300 or so.

Two 150S = 2000mAH
Three CR123a = 3900mAH

The Pilas wont sag in voltage near as much as the CR123A's though, so it may actually stay bright longer than the CR123's do. Fresh off the charger Pilas will put out 8.4 volts combined, but the internal resistance of a CR123 will lower their total voltage to about the same level anyway, so the Pilas will be about the same brightness, maybe a touch less.

According to flashlightreviews.com the 150S batteries fit the TL3 but dont power it, which is most likely due to the positive contact being different. Modifying the light, or adding a small magnet may rectify the problem.

from FLR

[ QUOTE ]
The only 9V light I have successfully tried the Pila batteries in so far is the Surefire M3 and output was reduced but not by very much. The M3 was able to throw a very white light and very bright beam (using the standard lamp assembly - high output not tested). Reduction in throw was less than 10% per my meter readings. Keep in mind that I do not know how long that level of output would be maintained.

[/ QUOTE ]

Light reduction should be similar to the M3. Cant promise you could make the batteries work in the light, but with some ingenuity you should be able to. I dont have, nor have I handled a T3 so i dont know what the insides look like. (are you good with a camera? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif)