Talk about rude! OK, I will -- vent & grin!

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's enough rudeness going around, and some of the examples are not only good for venting, but are pretty funny, if only after the fact. So let's get it off our chests and maybe get a chuckle out of it, too.

I'm an old fart. And I grew up being taught to respect others and to use good manners. But I also have a wicked streak and I get cranky in my old age. Mostly, I let Fate deal with them, but once in a while... hee, hee, hee!

So, here are some thoughts and prespectives from real life... Add yours.

- Please don't hit people with shopping carts. And, really, please don't back up and hit them again. Little old ladies (ouch) don't seem to get the idea (ouch) that this is assault, or that we'll help (ouch) them if they only ask. We really don't (ouch) like getting hit. Especially more than once. Ouch.

- I'm over fifty. If someone says, "Gimmee that, boy," I'm going to be tempted to really give it to them. Be polite, even if you're having a bad day. And don't ever call a man, "boy." There's an old quote I use about being called "boy." I can't fully repeat it here but it has to do with being so hairy, and with so much size and weight, and asking your mama about whether I should be called "boy." BTW, this has nothing to do with race, but a lot to do with respect.

- I used to work in a library at a small university. One day "Professor Snooty" comes in to the Reference Desk, and in a major league snit, says "I know YOU can't help me with this, but can you tell me where I can go?" He didn't know me from Adam and figured that since he was a prima dona and could demand special treatment. So, I said, "I sure can tell you exactly where you can go," and then let that sink in for a minute. He grinned and admitted that he deserved it. We got along fine after that.

- I went to a concert a few years ago, and was on the outside of the mosh pit. I was standing there with my arms crossed, minding my own bidness, when a really drunk kid with a really big nasty sneer slammed into me. Hard. I, however, didn't move. He just bounced off, and fell down hard, and said, "Ow" a few times. I weigh about 200 lbs. and am only about 5' 8" but I'm not fat (well, OK, howzabout not just fat), but I am kinda "solid." He didn't know it but I had seen him coming and just centered my weight and stance before he hit me. Kinda like running into a fire plug. I then picked him up and dusted him off and aimed him back into the pit. Security just kinda stood there open mouthed, I shrugged, and then they started to laugh. Ah, the wonders of alcohol...

- Don't cut in line in front of me. I might just sneeze all over your back. I have really bad allergies to rudeness. Comes on without warning.

- Isn't it fun to see a rude person get their's? You know... the college cutie dressed to kill, who cuts you off in the parking lot with a smug grin, gets out of the car... and slips on the ice and lands on her butt in a slush puddle.

And, hey, this does feel good!

Any you'd like to get off your chest? Keep it clean and don't add to the global rudeness, please and Thank You!

Rebus

Enlightened
What really bugs me are people who: think
that the rules are for everyone else and
not for them!

The guy who charges up on your left when
one lane is shut down and expects to be
let in at the front!

My wife is a teacher: people who fight
all battles for their kid (because they
are special... and could not possibly be
wrong)!

People that will say anything to playcate,
then do what they want!

People who are always late. Their time is so
much more valuable than yours!

Selfish people! People with no Character!

Well I quess those are my major ones.

-Rebus

DarkLight

Enlightened
I was returning some batteries at walmart and the guy who puts the return sticker on your stuff just happens to be sick as a dog and sneezes and all this junk comes down his face he turns around to blow his nose but its all hanging down to his chin. He finally wipes it all off, meanwhile I am pretty disgusted at the thought of this guy touching my stuff and say "Can i just put the sticker on myself?" he says NO WAY AGAINST RULES...I am like whatever....I then said well arent you going to wash your hands before you touch anything else and make every one else sick like you are.
He gets belligerent and says "Havent you ever had to blow you nose before?" I said yes but I wouldnt expect to shake someones hand with a wet snotty hand afterward either.

I mean if the guy had a bottle of Purell to hose himself down with I would have been fine with that.

As it was he only had a dry paper towel then expected to handle my goods, hand them back to me and expect me to like it...I was just getting over being sick so I was a bit touchy about it....

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
People who want to do good for the world - with your money.

People who don't think they should face the consequences for their actions - because it wasn't their fault that they decided to do those things.

People who feel so safe where they are that the only thing which would make them feel safer is if you didn't have the right to defend yourself where you are.

People who think that it's unfair that the right to vote is limited to citizens only, so therefore you shouldn't have to show proof when you do (maybe that one should be number one...).

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
DarkLight said:
I was returning some batteries at walmart and the guy who puts the return sticker on your stuff just happens to be sick as a dog and sneezes and all this junk comes down his face he turns around to blow his nose but its all hanging down to his chin. He finally wipes it all off, meanwhile I am pretty disgusted at the thought of this guy touching my stuff and say "Can i just put the sticker on myself?" he says NO WAY AGAINST RULES...I am like whatever....I then said well arent you going to wash your hands before you touch anything else and make every one else sick like you are.
He gets belligerent and says "Havent you ever had to blow you nose before?" I said yes but I wouldnt expect to shake someones hand with a wet snotty hand afterward either.

I mean if the guy had a bottle of Purell to hose himself down with I would have been fine with that.

As it was he only had a dry paper towel then expected to handle my goods, hand them back to me and expect me to like it...I was just getting over being sick so I was a bit touchy about it....

[/ QUOTE ]

That really sucks. I'd have to say that that is my biggest annoyance as well (along that basis anyway).

I can't stand it when I find people's, well, part of people, in my food. To start, I'll make it clear that I used to eat at restaurants quite a bit. That's just how it is with a lot of people these days. Anyway, I can't stand it when I find peoples hair in my food. I can understand that it is completely possible for that to happen every once and a while, but it seems to happen to me a lot. I was at a restaurant one time and, well, found a hair in my food. I made it my business to peek in the kitchen. As I was exiting, I did get a look, and what do you know, they werent wearing hair nets or hats of any kind (I'm not sure, but isn't that illegal?). That really makes me mad and ruins my appitite for whatever I'm eating.

Even worse, I have found a finger nail in my food once. That did it for me. Since then I haven't been eating at restaurants at all. I'd much rather cook my own food at home than be disgusted AND pay for a meal.

Lip stick on glasses and cups is also pretty annoying.

I just wish that public food serving places would abide by whatever laws they are supposed to in that area (and make sure their eating utensils/glasss are clean).

jtr1962

Flashaholic
The way people drive nowadays reflects the general rudeness in our society. Since I'm a cyclist I probably notice lousy, rude driving more than the average person. Where should I start? I don't know but here's a short list:

1) People who jockey for position to be first in line at the next red light. Seriously, this causes so many accidents and near misses, and saves no time at all. All it does is massage the driver's ego. Wow, I beat the other guy to the light by doing all sorts of dangerous and illegal maneuvers! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

2) People who drive their car like a slot car because idiotic car commercials encourage them to. This is a variation on (1) except there are no red lights involved, just lane bombing or other stupid manuevers to gain a few car lengths. Again, inconsiderate, stupid, and dangerous.

3) Ignoring red lights and other traffic controls like stop signs. I see this all the time, and I'm not talking about passing a light just after it changes from yellow to red. That is somewhat defensible so long as you check for cross traffic. No, I'm talking about people who come up on a light that's been red for 20 seconds, and just go past it without even catching a breath. And more often than not it's a black SUV doing this. Maybe there's something deeper here about the type of driver who would buy a black SUV thinking that they're exempt from the rules. Anyway, I get annoyed because the person is inconsiderate enough to think the rules don't apply to them, and also to potentially kill or injure someone just so they can save 20 or 30 seconds. What are these people thinking?

4) People who park and then exit their vehicles on the street side. This is illegal in many places like NYC and downright dangerous to both the driver and cyclists like myself. Worse yet is when they purposely see you coming in their mirror but wait until you're almost on top of them to fling open the door. Is sliding over to the passenger side really that hard?

5) Drivers who treat cyclists and other "alternative" vehicles like second class citizens. This happens all the time. They cut you off or otherwise act as if you aren't there. Worse yet, I've had drivers slowly go around me, pull in front of me, and then slam on the brakes. The only thing I can think of here is it bothers them that they're paying so much to drive their car while I'm getting around for practically nothing. Tough. They could ride a bike too if they weren't so lazy.

6) Drivers who are going 10 or 15 mph, seemingly in a daze, and stopping at every corner "deciding" what to do. Are these people on drugs or something? If you don't know where you're going or otherwise not sure of your itinerary pull over and stop until you are. Worse yet is when I go around these bozos because they're moving so slow, then they suddenly speed up, catch up to me, and go back in front of me again at a very slow speed. Now it bothers them that I'm trying to go around them because I don't want them in front of me impeding my progress? $%$&^#!@$ control freaks!

7) Drivers who think it's OK to flick cigarette butts or throw bottles at cyclists. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif I don't think anything more needs to be said about how inconsiderate this is.

OK, that's 7 so far. I'll probably add to this later on.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Cutting in at the last second at a must turn lane or a lane that is closed is A-Number1 bad thing that pisses me off. I think that particular thing was BORN around here!

I was told that the guy behind me when I turned into the work driveway was honking and shaking his fist at me for slowing him down. I didn't hear or see it...

And "F" him anyway!

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I just get steamed when (usually) a tourist stands directly in the center of a wheelchair cutout to snap off photographs, and won't move or even look when you say "excuse me sir" or "excuse me mam".

I have a horn on my wheelchair but rarely use it because it just pisses people off. I only use it when I have no other choise.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
[ QUOTE ]
jtr1962 said:
...snip...
4) People who park and then exit their vehicles on the street side. This is illegal in many places like NYC and downright dangerous to both the driver and cyclists like myself. ...snip..

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been told this is "urban legend" - I'll ask a cop I know in the next day or so. I will agree that folks don't LOOK

In MANY MANY cars you CANT exit on the curb side - there is a center console, and no WAY to exit on the other side

BTW I know that _I_ have never found the "have to exit on the curb side" rule in NYS VTL or in NYC rules

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
People who get off of an escalator and STOP right there, oblivious to the Rest Of The World piling up behind them.

People who stand in front of me in a long take-out line, yakking on their cells or whatever, then when they finally get to the counter, they look at the menu with this "gosh, now what do I want" look on their face, as if they're somehow enjoying the fact that the world seems to have paused for them while they make up their empty minds.

People in front of me at the supermarket checkout who HAVE to have a carton of a particular type of cigarette, in a particular length, in a particular style of box, with a particular flavor, etc, etc, and they won't accept anything else. Meanwhile everything comes to a halt while they turn the entire store upside down, looking for that PARTICULAR brand/box/length/flavor... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

People who think that traffic laws are merely suggestions.

People who speed through school zones.

One time I was doing the speed limit in a 35mph zone and I noticed some idiot right on my back bumper, weaving from side to side and looking REALLY impatient. He finally decided to gun it and whizzed past me, no doubt with great satisfaction on his part... until the police car pulled out of a driveway and nailed his a** as I sailed by.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
OK - I've checked NYS VAT (Vehicle and Traffic Law) here is what it says RE openeing doors on the street side (remember, PARKING laws are local, driving laws are state

VAT, Article33

§ 1214. Opening and closing vehicle doors. No person shall open the
door of a motor vehicle on the side available to moving traffic unless
and until it is reasonably safe to do so, and can be done without
interfering with the movement of other traffic, nor shall any person
leave a door open on the side of a vehicle available to moving traffic
for a period of time longer than necessary to load or unload passengers.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
The_LED_Museum said:
I just get steamed when (usually) a tourist stands directly in the center of a wheelchair cutout to snap off photographs, and won't move or even look when you say "excuse me sir" or "excuse me mam".

I have a horn on my wheelchair but rarely use it because it just pisses people off. I only use it when I have no other choise.

[/ QUOTE ]

For those occasions I suggest a pair of locomotive-style air horns. BLLLLAAAAATTTTT! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif

jtr1962

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
KC2IXE said:
[ QUOTE ]
jtr1962 said:
...snip...
4) People who park and then exit their vehicles on the street side. This is illegal in many places like NYC and downright dangerous to both the driver and cyclists like myself. ...snip..

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been told this is "urban legend" - I'll ask a cop I know in the next day or so. I will agree that folks don't LOOK

[/ QUOTE ]
It's not a legend. This happened to me personally and also to some people I knew.

[ QUOTE ]

In MANY MANY cars you CANT exit on the curb side - there is a center console, and no WAY to exit on the other side

BTW I know that _I_ have never found the "have to exit on the curb side" rule in NYS VTL or in NYC rules

[/ QUOTE ]
My mom used to work as a Bridge and Tunnel Officer and told me about that rule. It's a seldom or never enforced NYC only rule, much like the no right turns on red (I think we're the only city in the US that doesn't allow right turns on red unless otherwise posted). As for the center consoles, I have no trouble getting over them. I tried it a few times just for kicks in my mom's car even though I don't have a license. Anyway, going by the state rule you quoted, if there's traffic then it's not safe to exit your vehicle on the traffic side, and there's pretty much traffic all the time in NYC. I think that's how the NYC rule came about. Technically, I wonder if we could ban cars with center consoles based on that rule? Certainly interesting to think about, isn't it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Oh man, there are SO many - let me just list this little tiny one. As a kid I waitered to survive before getting a Real job so this kinda bugs me - it's when the water refillers at restaurants think it is ultra polite to grab your glass by the edge - right where ya put yore lips! Even had some who did it with their pinkies extended, as though this was the ultimate touch of class...

So now when I see'em coming, it is AYE who wraps two or three finger around the whole top half of the glass and hand it to them so they have no choice but to take it from me properly - by grasping the remaining part of the glass that's UNDER my hand. Hee hee.../ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

...of course the downer to this whole idea is that you don't know how the glasses are handled before customers even arrive each day - but don't think too much about it and it'll all be okay.

"Retraining food servers of the world - one glass at a time!"

MrMimizu

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
People who park and then exit their vehicles on the street side. This is illegal in many places like NYC

[/ QUOTE ]

That has to be totally untrue. I'm not calling you a liar but I just find it hard to believe that there could be such a law.
EDIT [ QUOTE ]
...shall open the
door of a motor vehicle on the side available to moving traffic unless and until it is reasonably safe to do so, and can be done without
interfering with the movement of other traffic

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, this pretty much says thatyou need to check to make sure it's safe to open your doors. That's it.

end edit
jtr: the story below is not directed at you. You just reminded me of a recent incident.

As a cyclist and a driver, I can't stand the cyclists who think that they are owed special consideration just because they are cyclists. I had one guy come up to my window and yell at me because I "cut him off" in his bike lane. Unfortunately bike lanes have dashed lines near intersections so that a car CAN pull into it to make a right turn. If a cyclist is more than 15m behind me at the time I have stopped, I am NOT cutting him/her off. If I was pulling into the right lane and stopping to make a right turn, the driver behind would just stop or change lanes. NOT get out to swear at me.
Of course, when I shut down engine, pulled out keys and got out of car to continue our discussion, he instantly became much more polite about things. I wasn't planning on being violent, i just didn't like having to look up at the guy.

I REALLY hate prejudiced store managers. Went to a ToysRus with a buddy years ago. Within 10 seconds of entering, a manager guy RUNS up to us saying "Hey! Where do you think you're going with those backpacks? Bring them to the counter right now!" There are NO signs indicating that bags are to be left at counter AND there were other people with backpacks on INSIDE the store already.
I just told him that "I'd be happy to bring my bag to the counter; as soon as the people INSIDE brought theirs as well. Unless it was only Chinese and Black people who's bags you need"
At that point he mumbled something about sorry and then walked away. I HATE those kind of people so much.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
MrMimizu said:
[ QUOTE ]
People who park and then exit their vehicles on the street side. This is illegal in many places like NYC

[/ QUOTE ]

That has to be totally untrue. I'm not calling you a liar but I just find it hard to believe that there could be such a law.

[/ QUOTE ]
Section 4-12 (c) of the New York City Traffic Rules and Regulations:

(c) Getting out of vehicle. No person shall get out of any vehicle from the side facing on the traveled part of the street.

Of course, this is from my mom's old book dating from the early 1980s. It's entirely possible the law has been changed or amended. As I said, it wasn't enforced anyway. Many cycling advocates would in fact like to see such a law exist, and actually be enforced. I know I would. We all know that nobody looks any more. People don't even look when they pull out of a parking spot (i.e. the gun it and go style of driving). You really think they're going to look when they exit their vehicle?

[ QUOTE ]

As a cyclist and a driver, I can't stand the cyclists who think that they are owed special consideration just because they are cyclists.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'll agree that some cyclists give a bad name to all cyclists. Messengers are probably the worst of the bunch, followed by riders under 15.

Just to make a point though, 15m doesn't seem like enough even it that might be the rule. If someone pulls in front of me and then comes to a complete stop at the time I'm 15 meters away I can be on top of them in 1 second or even less. Maybe for the typical slow, inexperienced cyclist who seldom goes over 12 mph that's fine, but strong riders can reach 30+ mph on the level. I've gone as fast as 65 mph downhill, although seldom over 50. 15 meters is nothing at those kinds of speeds. To avoid problems make sure you give any cyclist a berth of at least half a block, or better yet a full block if you're on a downhill stretch. BTW, this brought up another thing to add to my list:

8) Drivers who speed up to get ahead of you, and then suddenly make a right turn 10 feet in front of you. Happens all the time, and it's almost always an SUV. Now as I mentioned, I don't exactly ride slow. Is following right behind me at the 20 to 25 mph I usually travel at for that half a block before the turn going to waste any more than 1 second of their precious time? I think not. I would understand if I was loafing along at 10 mph, but short of a very steep hill, I never ride much under about 17 or 18 even under the worst of circumstances.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
Well, in a post a few down, I posted the actual VTL - basically, you can open it, IF safe to do so. BTW a cyclist or a car hits it, it's NOT safe to do so.

I used to be an avid rider in your neighborhood (start near Bowne Park 154st and 29 ave, down to Flushing Meadow Park, 2x around the lake, and home - every night, plus weekend rides) - the door opening problem IS a problem

As for Motor Vehicle Law in NY - you can go to either the NY State Senate or Assembly web sites, and get a COMPLETE set of all NY State laws - which is what I was quoting from

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Rebus said:
The guy who charges up on your left when
one lane is shut down and expects to be
let in at the front!

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate it when my lane ends and someone won't let me merge!!!

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
[ QUOTE ]
jtr1962 said:
Section 4-12 (c) of the New York City Traffic Rules and Regulations:

(c) Getting out of vehicle. No person shall get out of any vehicle from the side facing on the traveled part of the street.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your MISSING part of the sentence

(c) Getting out of vehicle. No person shall get out of any vehicle from the side facing
on the traveled part of the street in such manner as to interfere with the right of the
operator of an approaching vehicle or a bicycle.

which basically means that if you DON'T interfere with the right of the operator of an approaching vehicle or a bicycle, you MAY get get out on the street side

Full copy of NYC rules at

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/pdf/trafrule.pdf

jtr1962

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
KC2IXE said:
I used to be an avid rider in your neighborhood (start near Bowne Park 154st and 29 ave, down to Flushing Meadow Park, 2x around the lake, and home - every night, plus weekend rides) - the door opening problem IS a problem.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ever try the bike lane that starts at 73rd Ave and Main Street, and ends at 73rd Ave and 230th Street? I do that sometimes. 4.3 miles end to end, my best time was around 12 minutes. Other times I'll just go along the Horace Harding from 164th up to around Francis Lewis Blvd, then across that to Union Tpke, back down to 164th, and then home. Once in a while I'll go to downtown Flushing (Main St. and Roosevelt Ave.) just to loaf around there and look at the girls. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I even once accidentally got on the Grand Central Parkway for one exit but I had enough of a draft behind a vehicle to get up to 58 mph before I got off at the nearest exit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Lots of variety in my rides to keep it interesting. I forgot where I did the 65 mph though. That was a while back. It's very rare to get that combination of hill, tailwind, and lack of traffic or traffic signals. Most of my favorite hills now have too many obstacles for me to safely do my "kamikaze bomber" downhill routine any more. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Your MISSING part of the sentence

(c) Getting out of vehicle. No person shall get out of any vehicle from the side facing
on the traveled part of the street in such manner as to interfere with the right of the
operator of an approaching vehicle or a bicycle.

which basically means that if you DON'T interfere with the right of the operator of an approaching vehicle or a bicycle, you MAY get get out on the street side

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, then they must have amended it. As I said, what I was referring to dates from the early 1980s. Correction noted, although practically speaking you potentially interfere with a cyclist whenever you exit on the traffic side so operationally this law might come down to being prhibited from exiting on the traffic side. I would certainly argue that way in court if a motorist almost "doored" me and wasn't charged with anything.