Need a good bright light with good runtime

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gotta friend who has been drooling over my lights at work, he is getting ready to be stationed on a "tin can" ship (frigate), so the avail of batteries will be limited unless he brings his own (I will be steering him toward batterystation.com)

Ok here's the catch. it WILL be used for a work light in dark cramped areas so it has to be strong, I don't want him to be messing with bulbs so it needs to be a LED and I don't want him to have to pay for this with his right arm.

I was thinking of a G2 for him batterystation 29.00

I have a TW4 and he loves it so if anyone can think of one that is simaliar to a TW4 in beam and runtime (or better runtime if possible)

If anyone is willing to part with a good work light I'll be willing to buy it and have him pay me back

Thank you everyone for your assistance
Doug

FEATHERSTONE

Newly Enlightened
My 2 cents say that the Inova XO is hard to beat, great throw, 4 hours of run time with low light after that, and its strong.
39.00 at batterstation, or if he needs more throw, I like the XO3, 1 1/2-2 hours of constant brightness with low light after that. 50.00 for CPF members.
Hope this helps.
Ryan

deranged_coder

Enlightened
If you are considering Surefires I would suggest a two-stage light such as an L2 or maybe an L4 with a McE2S tailcap; low already provides a good amount of light and has good runtime, high will provide a bright wall of light when you need it. They are fairly expensive, though.

Underwater Kinetics or Princeton Tec lights would probably be good if there is a possibility of the light getting dunked. They are also much more affordable than the typical Surefire light. I second the recommendation of the UK 4AA eLED as a light with adequate brightness and good runtime.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
He should be able to get AA batteries from the Ships Store. a streamlight Jr LED would be a good choice. Or one of Dat2zip's sandwiches for a AA MiniMag.

The_virus

Enlightened
A UK 4 AA eLED does sound like a good choice. It's not waterproof but the whole point of being on a boat is to not spend the trip submerged in water right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

A Streamlight JR Luxeon is an excellent choice, since it's brighter, but it does not have the same runtime (approx 80 minutes vs UK's 20 hours). AA cells will likely be available on the boat though.

If waterproofing is expected to be an issue, the Princeton Tec Impact XL may be larger than the other two, but it's dive rated. It's similar to the UK 4AA eLED, just waterproof instead of water resistant, and it twists on rather than the UK's pushbutton switch. It still uses 4 AA cells, it's just more armored so it's slightly larger. PT says the Impact XL will provide 70 hours of useable light.

All of these lights are cheaper than SureFires, and very reasonably priced and durable. I'd say the UK 4AA eLED would be the better choice of those picks, balancing size, and functionality required for the tasks expected.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another vote for 4AA eLed for a light with good brightness and long runtime. For a backup you can get him the UKE 2AAA eLed too, just in case...
An alternative would also be the Eternalight, very long runtime indeed, but I don't think it beats the 4AA eLed in brightness.

robk

Enlightened
Check out Streamlight 4AA Propolymer Luxeon - uses AA's , bright, 4 hours on alkalines, waterproof, push-button in back, aluminum reflector. I just got one in, throws quite a spot, wish it had a bit more spill, but it's very nice. Like the 7-led 4AA, it's nearly indestructible. BrightGuy has it for about $32.
Rob

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like the masses have spoken and the UK 4AA eled is the clear favorite. the light sports everything that a working mans light needs.

Now just gotta go to brightguy and buy one

Thank you all for your help

14C

Enlightened
What Roy said...the availablity of batteries is a determinant IMHO. Although I'd get him a UK 4 AAA eLED AND a CMG Ultra with a lanyard.