eBay "101 Primer & Tips"?

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
eBay \"101 Primer & Tips\"?

I like the CPF Auction Software (for it's intended market), it "walks you right through" the process...nothing to be "stressed" over at all!!

I've bought a "few items" on eBay, but am ready to "cross over" to selling a few items there as well.

Does their software "walk you right through" the process? Any opinions on any of the software out there that helps you fill out/post the auction?

Consider me an absolute "novice" when it comes to selling on eBay. I need suggestions, tips, guidelines, what to look out for...ANY INFORMATION on "HOW TO" would be greatly appreciated!!

If we put together enough tips & guidelines here, maybe it would make a good "sticky" for reference?

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: eBay \"101 Primer & Tips\"?

You want to have good photos and a good description including a descriptive subject. People searching for objects like yours need to be able to find them, and they need a description and photos that gives them faith in the object.

I like to set a reserve or starting bid equal to the absolute minimum that I would take for the object. I don't like to play games with pricing but some people do.

I also like to treat buyers fairly regardings shipping costs. For expensive items I recommend that you insist on insurance or at least tracking.

Treat your buyers with respect and ask them for feedback accordingly. Your good feedback record is the best thing to help your sales.

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior

A good description is a must. Words like 'LOOK' or 'Great Buy' are not searched for, I wouldn't think at least. I have only sold a few things on ebay but I've done a decent amount of buying and searching.

I don't remember how many letters you are allowed in your description so the following is just an example.

SureFire L4 LumnaMax LED Flashlight 5w 5 Watt

Most people are not going to search for Lumnamax you could eliminate that. May be add Sure Fire to get with and w/o space. I've seen some add 'not U2 L1 E2' or the like, I don't like it but I saw an item I might not have seen otherwise.

With lower power LED items adding 'rave' to your description can help.

Hope that helps.

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast

Since you have purchased items on Ebay, study the description and layout of the items you have purchased.

Look for a power seller who has a high feedback rating, and study their layouts.

It is not advised to solicit feedback, in fact I believe it is a violation of Ebays terms.

Have photo(s)of the item you wish to sell, also before you list an item observe how others have listed the same item. (Believe it or not, no matter what you want to sell, it has already been sold or may even be currently listed by others)

Make your description accurate and to the point. I usually don't care for long-winded descriptions. (unless the item is rare and valuable)
You may want to put in your description that you reserve the right to reject bids from people with zero feedback but keep in mind that at one time we all had zero feedback.

I prefer PayPal only as a form of payment. (it used to be a hurdle to buyers but not so much anymore)
If you use PayPal, be sure to put in your description that you (the seller) will only ship to a PayPal verified address. (this affords you the seller protection)

Study the Ebay fee structure, there are fees for how you list your item, an insertion fee (always), Sale? fee (always a percentage of the final price) fees for the length of your auction, Buy it now, Reserve pricing, and more.

Know ahead of time what the lowest price you are willing to accept (be reasonable but don't give it away)
Account for the Ebay fees, Paypal fees and S&H in advance.

Tip...Say I want to list item x, and the lowest price I am willing to take is $20.00, I would consider the cost of the type of listing (ebay fees) and if using paypal, their fees.
So if I want $20.00 minimum I would figure $25.00 as a minimum Ebay final price, also you can avoid the reserve price fee by listing with a Buy it Now price of $35.00, and your minimum bid (starting bid price of $25.00)

When you are ready to list your item have as much of the above information ready (a working draft of your description in notepad/word or your choice of word processor and your photo(s) on your computer HD).
The Ebay listing guide is very user friendly,
it will walk you through each step, allowing you to preview, go back, upload photo(s), edit....etc

Take your time and you will be fine.

Once again study other successful sellers listings!

HTH

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

watt4

Enlightened

the ebay forum will have a lot of tips, both good and bad /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

Found some fairly basic audio/video tutorials on eBay "here".

Great suggestions, all are appreciated. Doesn't seem like "rocket science"...one just needs to keep in mind all the fees that add up!

StuU

Enlightened

The Ebay selling process is very user friendly.

I would suggest finding the past sales of the same item that you wish to sell. Check out the successful past sales as to layout, item title, pics, etc and let that be your guide.

Also, very importantly, you can edit your descriptions before submitting the auction. You can do this during the intial process. Or if, you remember during the auction that you have forgotten to mention something in the description, you can go back and edit- until the first bid.

I find that having the auction end on a weekend evening works pretty well. People tend to be at home with spare time on their hands and will be sure to check the auction of an item they are interested in.

It's often a good policy to stay on the low side of the inital offering price. This attracts more buyers and gets the auction moving along. It's good to avoid having the seasoned buyers swoop in during the last 5 minutes of an unbid auction.

Be very good with your descriptions. I have sold old cameras on Ebay. A lot of other sellers did not provide good mechanical and functional descriptions. My auctions fetched a higher price because the buyers were given the crucial information in detail- including all flaws.
Stu

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast

Another thought- if you have an item like a surefire light, you can list it as "Sure Fire Surefire" because surefire is ambiduous and you don't know how people will be searching for it. When I was searching for camera lenses I would have to do a search for "28-80" then another search for "28-80mm" because people would have them listed both ways.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

Just looking for info to "cross the line" from a buyer to a seller. I've got to agree that "marketing & presentation" are a MAJOR part of selling (as well as having quality items that folks want).

It doesn't look too complicated, though it opens up a whole new market (as compared to the CPF members). I would like to protect myself as much as possible when it comes to fraudulent buyers as well.

junior

Enlightened

I sell on ebay 99 percent of the time and only buy 1% of the time.

Im not sure what you are going to sell, but whatever you sell be sure that you get and start with a good profit margin. Those fees could really eat you up if you dont watch it. If you start with a high proft margin you can wittle it down some to adust for non-seller etc.

Also, if you are selling something with alot of competion you almost have to add little extras to gain marketing exposure. If you are selling something that does not have a lot of competion then you will not have to add a lot of add ons for a search for your product will pop up right away with little competion etc.

You are right with having quality items that folks want, but remember that whats "hot" or "popular" also plays into the selling game. I have had great gear and items just sit there, because they were not popular etc.

Play around with different items and such and again watch your profit margin.

watt4

Enlightened

I saw this tip once: pick a good username (easy to remember and easy to type), so that after you have been selling for a while, your customers may start searching for your auctions (by username search), instead of searching for the products they bought (which would display your competition's ads, too).

also saw a tip to have username the same as your website domain name (if you have one). that way some people will visit your site, and may buy straight from you (saves fees), and may buy other items. don't know if ebay still allows domain names as usernames.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

Another question:

I've got a fellow bidding that has zero feedback. He wants to know if I will accept a Bank of America cashier's check.

In reference to today's world of fraud, reading articles how easy it is for folks to print up "funds" on today's techno printers...Would I be better off either accepting a US Postal money order instead or sticking with the PayPal option as I've posted on the auction?

Thank you Ebay gurus!

Rebus

Enlightened

Always give the size of what you
are selling. I buy a lot of knives
and a 3 1/2" looks just like a 4 1/2"
one.

-Rebus

watt4

Enlightened

I prefer postal money orders over other "brands".

I cash them at the post office before I ship the item. since I use a post office box, they are usually cashed within minutes of receipt. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

That sounds reasonable! I know if I deposited it in my account (takes time to "clear") and it turned up "bad", penalties can be assessed against my account.

So if I cashed it at the Post Office, it would be an "instant verification" process, yes? Then of course I'd know if I was being scammed and the Postal authorities could even go after the guy, yes?

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast

Here are some things that I've learned while selling:

- Use a picture. It doesn't have to be fantastic; just take a snapshot with a webcam, like I do. A picture helps to reassure buyers that the product is what you claim it is, and also that you're not peddling damaged merchandise or phantomware. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

- Don't pay extra for options, except for Buy It Now. I believe that you get one picture for free.

- Use a descriptive title that includes likely search terms. For example: "Arc AAA LED flashlight". Notice that this title includes both the specific product and the general category.

- Describe your item thoroughly, both in features and condition.

- Make sure that your text is readable. Use short paragraphs, bold type (sparingly), and bulleted lists where appropriate. Check for errors.

- Do an eBay search to check if your item is being sold by other people. This will help you choose a starting price. You will also get ideas for how to make your item stand out (new vs. used, good condition vs. battered, etc.).

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

VERY GOOD POINTS!! So often I look at someone's description and it's not worded well, detailed enough, not easily readable, blurred pics, etc...

It's all marketing, sales, & presentation! I'm learning quick!

Thanks...

Raven

Enlightened

I'm about to dip my toes into the eBay pond, and I plan to be extremely cautious. PayPal payents only, and I'll probably wait until the payment clears before mailing the order.

But I'm curious how long it takes for a bank to clear a paypal payment, and if waiting until paypal clears before mailing is a common safeguard, that most buyers/sellers expect to happen?