What's in your Bug-Out-Bag?

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
What\'s in your Bug-Out-Bag?

I'm in the process of updating and creating some new BOBs. I'm using the County Comm BOBs and am having a hard time narrowing down what I want to have in them.

These will be static, not in a car, bags so that narrows things a bit but I'm still trying to stuff too much "stuff" into them I think. Also they will be in an urban setting so I don't think extreme wilderness items will be needed in most cases. I'm mainly shooting for earthquake and typhoon evacs.

I figure with all the experience on the board there would be a pretty good sampling of info to draw upon so let it rip.

TIA
-LT

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: What\'s in your Bug-Out-Bag?

Just the essentials.

First aid kit, a Surefire 6P with the Widget, which provides two-stage LED + incan flexibility for the 6P and is estimated to run around $30, a small AA powered light, usually CMG Inf Ultra, six cells for both.

Other useful things - ziploc gallon bags for waterproofing (typhoon - sooner or later, with enough rain, it will soak thru the nylon), Leatherman Wave (it's all the toolkit you need in a pocketable size), toilet paper. Remember BOBs are for when the SHTF. TP is always useful. ALWAYS. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Pen and paper. The local authorities have recommended copies of important documents in case they are necessary. A small lanyard for the lights. Paracord if you feel it is justified (mine should be coming soon).

I don't pack any food in mine but you might want to think about whether your specific requirements encourage that. I do have some bottled water, though. Water is also, always useful.

I recently bought one of the UV Aquastar water purifiers, that would be very useful. I carry a little water (24oz) but would rather not have to carry a lot.

A CountyComm strobe would be fun to have. 1 D cell, 40 hours of high intensity strobe light. It's neither a LED nor an incan, some of the other CPFers think it may be a flashgun. (makes sense for a dedicated strobe)

And of course, given that the universe is held together by duct tape, a BOB without a roll would be greatly amiss.

daloosh

Flashaholic*,

Hey LT,

Here's the thread where I've listed what we put in our CountyComm BOBs:

Minute bag or BOB thread

There've been some minor changes and additions, like each bag has an Israeli multipurpose bandage, and beefed up first aid, but the basic ideer is there. Oh, our food to-go bag is now a separate bag, too, and some of our tools and lites have shifted as well (now have AAA lithiums in there).

cheers,
daloosh

billgr

Newly Enlightened

all the usual stuff plus: roll of quarters....$50 in ones....leather gloves....am/fm/weather radio....pepper spray.....poncho....TP....caffeine pills.....baseball cap....spare watch

Part_Time_Cop

Newly Enlightened

4 - Motorola Visar 4 watt GRMS programmed radios
First aid kit
MRE's
H&K MP-5 9mm w/3 spare mags
Compass
Map
Water purifier tabs
Canteen
GPS unit
Surefire M6 w/2 sets of spare batteries
AM/FM/Weather Band radio
Extra Badge and I.D.

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast

daloosh,

Thanks for the link. Guess I should have searched BOB not bug-out-bag.

I did notice a number of things that I've stashed that didn't make the other lists. Probably because most of these are urban kits as mentioned. One is a generator radio/LED lite/cell phone charger about the size of a large fist. Another is a 2xD cell LED light with AA to D adapters as back up.

I've inventoried the bags and have that printed and face out on one of my Tupperware boxes but I'm thinking about laminating it and hanging it outside the bag so if I'm not around someone else wouldn't have to dig though the pockets to see what's there.

I also keep a DVD-RW that I update with all my important documents as well as a hard copy of IDs, bank accounts etc. I have noticed that they are "light" heavy. I've even put a glowring and coin light on the outside end so I can find it easier and don't have to dig for a light right off. Some of the smaller lights are give-aways or trade goods but I probably should cut back a bit.

I like the duct tape idea but wonder how to make it something less than a whole roll. I've never seen the stuff go back together once off the main roll. Extra watch, caffine pills and gloves, didn't think of those either

So far none of the bags are the same though they share some items. I just wonder if I'm kidding myself that the CC bag is adequate in size.

Any more urban, smallish kit ideas? I keep catching myself thinking of wilderness type stuff. Maybe I should have a "get out the door now" bag and a "get out pretty soon" bag that would supplement the first bag.

-LT

newo

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Lunal_Tic said:
Any more urban, smallish kit ideas? I keep catching myself thinking of wilderness type stuff. Maybe I should have a "get out the door now" bag and a "get out pretty soon" bag that would supplement the first bag.
-LT

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's a couple more - (I live in Florida, on the Gulf coast, within 15 miles of a nuclear power plant, so some of this stuff is superfluous for a lot of people) -

In addition to the usual stuff, and things people have already mentioned:

Disposable rain poncho (folds very small)
Disposable "space blanket" (mylar sheet, folds very flat, does extra duty as waterproof sheet / ground tarp)
Travel size bottle of alcohol-based hand sterilizing liquid / gel
Bottle of potassium iodide pills (I live near a nuke plant)
DEET insect repellant
Snakebite kit (in hurricanes, you get flooding, and the snakes head to higher ground along with everything else - whether you are in a city or not)
Extra water purification pills and coin-cell lights to use as trade goods / throw-downs, as needed
Copy of concealed weapons permit, medical insurance card, driving license (front side of one sheet of paper) list of all currently prescribed medications and dosages along with a list of critical phone numbers and contact info (on back side of sheet of paper)

sithjedi333

Enlightened

Lunal_Tic, one idea I have heard for duct tape is to wrap it around an old plastic credit card. Wrap as much as you need so you don't have to carry an entire roll.

daloosh

Flashaholic*,

You can buy flat duct tape in short lengths on a paper backing at camping stores, O forget, maybe in 18" or 24" lengths, but I like Sith's ideer with the card.

I inevitably want to put more in the CC bag, but I still think it's useful to use that form factor. Maybe not for a car-based BOB, but certainly if I'm in the city or on foot, the heavier it is, the less likely I'm gonna bring it, or have it handy. So, the CC bag is our base kit. We have food, as I mentioned, separately, as well as the serious first aid, it has it's own bag.

I am tempted to switch to a three-day pack, tho, but then I'd be carrying a tent or something, too. At any rate, the exercise is great to figure out what you think you need and want when TSHTF.

daloosh

coyote

Flashlight Enthusiast

i don't see much difference between city and country kits. if you had to survive for a week after a major quake in the hills above LA, those wilderness items would be exactly what you'd need...
here's my PERSONAL SURVIVAL LIST (this all fits in one daybag and always goes with me)-

Clothes-
underwear
long johns
socks (liners, wool, gore-tex, spares)
pants
insulated jacket
boots (worn daily)
rain suit
hat
gloves (leather, mesh, waterproof, insulated)
face masks (mesh, insulated)

Survival-
survival instruction manual
swiss army knife
single blade liner-lock folding knife
saw (folding)
vice grip mini 4" model
water purifiers
hydro bag
laminated mylar body bag
insulated body bag
insulated ground pad 12x16x1/2"
fire starting kit
maps
compasses
pencil and paper (not a pen)
para-cord
snare wire
whistle
signal mirror
sharpening steel
fishing gear
duct tape
zip-lock bags (gallon size)
spare batteries
ear plugs
food
metal cup
t.p.
bandana

Medical-
spare Rx eyeglasses
first aid supplies
snake/insect bite kit
alcohol-based sterilizing gel
chap stick
deet stick
cortisone stick
sun block stick
super glue

Observation-
flashlights
night vision device
monocular

Firearms-
handgun with reloads
spare parts/cleaning kit

jtice

Flashaholic

I EDC either a Maxpedition MPB (multi purpose bag) or a knockoff Maxpedition Falcon Pack.

What Im doing that day determines the main contents, naturally.
But generally, all this is in there no matter what.

Inova X5T white
Inova X5T UV
UK 4AA LED
Howards Pocket W 5W Mag
3 Arc AAs
Minimag with MadMax Module

Bic Lighter
Magneasium Fire Starter
ParaCord
Sinch Strap
Metalic Survival Blanket
ZipLock Bags
Boonie Hat
Compressed Rain Jacket
Binoculars
Head Strap for light
Bandana
Compase
Chemical GlowStick
Neck Lanyard
Mini Clips, Latches, Etc.
Knife
Multi Tool
Note Pad

Toshiba e800 Pocket PC
Muvo 4GB MP3 Player
Garmin Etrex Vista GPS
128MB USB Pen Drive

--Pelican Case 1060--
Canon A95 DigiCam
8 spare AA Batteries
Mini Tripod
1GB CF Card
128MB CF Card
256MB CF Card
Wide Angle Lens

Thertel

Newly Enlightened

I cant believe that you have a Digital camera in your BOB, though I guess if could come in handy after the emergency is over and your telling people about it.

jtice

Flashaholic

well, its more of an EDC bag, but if I were to bail,,, it would be with me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast

Actually I like the digicam idea. If TSHTF you could also be the only person to record things for history or more likely, insurance.

-LT

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you're unwilling to spend on a digital just to put it in a BOB, there are probably lots of cheap 24-36 exposure throwaways.

I know some friends who drive who keep one of those in the car to ward off accidents /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif or more likely, when accidents DO happen, you have proof and it's harder for the guy to argue. If someone hits you, just get out, take the photos, smile at him, exchange particulars and tell him that you'll let the insurance settle everything (which is the correct procedure anyway).. it's MUCH harder to deny what happened and the position of the cars when you have proof on film.

nekomane

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi LunalTic,

Some advice from a local..

A stash of 10 yen coins. The pay phones (though you see less of them now) will be the first land lines to recover after a disaster. You will not be able to use prepaid 'telephone cards' and I remember reading that 100 yen coins will not be accepted either.

During the recent earthquake in Nigata, though you could hardly make any voice calls for the first day or so, 'i-mode' text messaging was possible with mobile phones even immediately after the disaster.

But, it is hard to imagine what it will be like when (not if) a major earthquake hits central Tokyo. Many mobile phone antennas will be destroyed, and more time will be needed to fix them.

As soon as you escape to a safe place, the next thing you probably want to do is find out if your family/friends are OK, as well as letting them know that you are.

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast

nekomane,

Thanks for the info. It's hard to believe that the phones would know not to take 100 yen and phone cards. I wonder what the logic of that would be, keep calls short? Guess I'll start squirreling away those now.

IIRC mobile cells can be replaced quickly, at least the temp ones. I would imagine that it would take a while in most cases though in Japan maybe not as long since cells are everywhere and cell phones are ubiquitous.

If I'm at home when the big one hits and I'm not squished in the building, I'll probably be OK since I'm near a river and park area. I won't have to go trekking to the woods to get away. Working from home would be an edge since I've got all sorts of "survival" stuff here.

Of course there are always typhoons and the other stuff that goes on. I generally carry a bunch of stuff when I'm on the trains going in and out of town but you never know what you'll need or when. I'm also trying to make a super small EDC version of the BOB for these rides. The subways have been stuck a time or two in the recent past and if I've got to get out of the subway on foot then I'd like to have my own gear and not have to rely on the rail employees. The best you can do is prepare and hope it's never needed.

Ah, just thought of another . . .the Embassy phone numbers. They'll have juice before most everybody else.

-LT

nekomane

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
I wonder what the logic of that would be, keep calls short?

[/ QUOTE ]

A good reason /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif but if IIRC, it's more to do with the power supply. 10 yen coins can be used mechanically.

I did some searching on NTT's website and it seems that in case of a major disaster, all analogue payphones (the green ones) will become free. Just press the emergency button or drop in a 10 yen coin (it will be returned when the call is finished). Digital payphones (the grey ones) should work just by picking up the reciever. Of course the phone will only work if the lines are still alive..

Another alternative is the voice message service accessible by dialing '177'. This service will be activated in affected areas only during major disasters. I tried looking through NTT's website for information in English but cannot find any (only Japanaese /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif). PM me if you want to know more.

[ QUOTE ]
If I'm at home when the big one hits and I'm not squished in the building, I'll probably be OK since I'm near a river and park area.

[/ QUOTE ]
Just don't get too close if you live near the mouth of the river. We've seen what tsunamis can do..
Another item you should consider is a whistle. If you get trapped somewhere (under rubble, in an elevator, subways etc.) it could be used for calling help without shouting your head off and wasting precious energy. Check out some outdoor shops (again, feel free to PM me if you need to know a good place in Tokyo).

[ QUOTE ]
Ah, just thought of another . . .the Embassy phone numbers. They'll have juice before most everybody else.

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe time to consider a satphone? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Inmarsat RBGANs (data up to 144k) are scheduled to be available in Japan soon. If you own a business and communication is crucial, it might be well worth the investment.

nekomane

Flashlight Enthusiast

Oops forgot about the duct tape. Have you been to the '100 yen shops'? I remember finding small amounts of tape sold in one of the big stores.
If you don't mind the hassle, just get a role of 'nuno tape' (cloth tape) and roll it around a piece of cardboard.