Jil or other CR2 mod ability

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just saw TrueBlue's AKA HaveBlue's suuweet KI dragster mod by ARCmania. They did an enviable job.
worshippy.gif

My new Jil CR2 ion rev2 is quickly becoming my favorite small form light. I actually EDC it and it's fun to have around with about 525 LUX. But the KI Dragster gets 1350 LUX!!

Since the Jil is looking like it may become the new Q3 as far as popularity, I was wondering if we can start to figure out its mod-ability. Any ideas if the tiny Jil rev2 or the larger 1.3w can be rev'd up with a U bin and special converter to get similar results as that KI Dragster?

Or how about the NEOCA's that are coming any day now? Or Endeavour... Hey what's going on with your CR2? Maybe you can flip the script and make 'em all custom U bin powerhouses!
evillaugh.gif

Dare2Dream

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, the 'dragster' mod looks to me like it must be a low end of the U bin, compared to a high end of the T bin. The output in the pictures just show a somewhat brighter hotspot, but nothing extraordinary like some other folks here have posted (I had higher expectations from reports of 'near W Bin Lux V' brightness...)

That being said, I certainly will fire up a few of the UX1Js I get and see how they look for myself, to have a better picture of what they look like in person.

Jil CR2 ion rev2? I think my light is called the CR2 Ion - the Jil is just the Jil, no?

Anyway, I'm sure you can mod that platform since it uses a reflector that's removable, and you can mod PEU's NEOCAs because of the same feature, unless either of the two have put loctite in the threads to get to the LED.

As for my light - since it's still smaller than any of the other lights, it's not likely to be very mod friendly unless you know what you're doing. I've got some things in development with it that will make it so that you'd have no need to modify it anyway, just waiting on some final details to be hammered out with the new shop. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
ooh Hoo! "Things in development" eh!? I'd be verrrry interresssted in a CR2 Dragster shootout. Especially if it was MY dragster!! Got my eye out for your updates
raisebrow.gif

BTW My Jil rev2 is just a Jil rev with a L-iON Battery so I call it my Jil CR2 ion /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

davidefromitaly

Enlightened
i have modded my jil-cr2 rev. with a 17mm ims (much more throoooooow), a mineral glass, a TX1L lux-III, a li-ion cr2.

now is more bright than a Q-III, the led is drived at more than 2W with a fresh battery and the runtime is around 30min.

for a emergency it can run also with a 3V cr2 at low output (but still more than a minimag) for a lot of hours

if you want to do the same mod i suggest to use a better tint of led because a underdrived X1 is very bad /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif try a Y0 or a X0

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the tips David E from Italee /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Do you have a light meter to get a 1m LUX reading of your mod? Let us know if you can.

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
CromagNet said:
ooh Hoo! "Things in development" eh!? I'd be verrrry interresssted in a CR2 Dragster shootout. Especially if it was MY dragster!! Got my eye out for your updates
raisebrow.gif

BTW My Jil rev2 is just a Jil rev with a L-iON Battery so I call it my Jil CR2 ion /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, Dragsters are huge engines and tiny cars. If you want a real Dragster let's shove an X Bin Luxeon LED inside a CR2 light with a stepdown covertor and a bunch of button cells.

Looks like I may have to do a name change on my light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

davidefromitaly

Enlightened
i have ordered the luxmeter but isn't still arrived. i hope next week or 2...

this is a photo compared to a p90 (105lm!!!!!!!) and a infinity ultra (2-3lm)

overesposed
normal
underesposed

P90-Jil-ultra.jpg

MY

Enlightened
I wonder if there is enought room where one can put in the two way switch from the firefly into the Jil Rev. Sure would make it hand!

2dim

Enlightened
Dual level momentary would be GREAT, considering minimum runtimes and overheating potential with rechargeables...

davidefromitaly

Enlightened
there isn't space for a switch

but with a TX1L runtime isn't bad (30 minutes) and the heat isn't a lot because is underdrived

for more runtime try some TY0M that have photonfanatic

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about an N cell ion version of the Jil rev2. Smaller and more powerful with a T or U bin?? Or how about any DD ion Ncell light of diminutive size comparable to the Jil rev?

Any ideas who can do this??

davidefromitaly

Enlightened
cromagnet i don't know if exist any N size li-ion but if exist is longer than CR2 (about 4mm longer)

we can use the 1/2 N cell but at no more than 2-300ma otherwise the battery can't alive a lot of time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

MY

Enlightened
I was just thinking that the Jil CR2 Rev is the same concept as the ORB Raw. Small direct drive lights with RCR2. If the emitter is the same and the battery is the same, the lumens would also be the same. The only difference would be the type of beam which is dependent on reflector or optic design.

Regards.

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
You will not see a difference between any LED bin that's close to another (ST, TU, etc) when it's underdriven. They will look very much the same.

Davidefromitaly: Using a TY0M from PhotonFanatic will give you less runtime, not more. M comes after L; the vF is higher.

2dim

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
MY said:
I was just thinking that the Jil CR2 Rev is the same concept as the ORB Raw. Small direct drive lights with RCR2. If the emitter is the same and the battery is the same, the lumens would also be the same. The only difference would be the type of beam which is dependent on reflector or optic design.

Regards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone have info, speculative or not? Also, how might RAW 10 minute runtime compare with Rev2 on RCR2?