win98 spyware help needed

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Am up visiting the folks and spyware has completely taken over Dad's win98 machine. It overrides the IE start up page and getting popups galore. I find there are three programs running that I don't think should be.

addme32.exe
appsv32.exe
d3gu.exe

These all reside in the windows directory. I went to safe boot mode/dos prompt and tried to delete them but got an access denied when trying to delete d3gu.exe. Was able to delete the other two but they appeared again as soon as I rebooted. From talking to dad, spybot and adaware either do not recognize or cannot fix the problem. I like the new MS spyware remover but unfortunately it does not support win98.

Any ideas on what it is and how to get rid of it?

MrTwoTone

Newly Enlightened
I suggest going to downloads.com and get the latest Ad-Aware SE Personal.It's free and did a good job for me.If it doesn't help,let me know and I'll ask the IT guys at work for other options.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I second Mr. Twotone. Ad-aware is well regarded, and it works. You can google search for the ad-aware site (its something other than ad-aware.com) and get it directly from them.

best regards

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can guarantee you that Adaware and Spybot are not thorough. I have run both repeatedly and still had problems. I did some research and found that Spyhunter and SpySweeper are also well regarded. I downloaded SpySweeper for its free trial and found that it fixed problems that Adaware and Spybot did not even find.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
HijackThis! will fix things. It'll find things that none of the programs will find. Of course, it'll also find things that are completely necessessary to your system, and once it removes them you're left with junk - you better be smart to use this one.

Ohh, and you should try Firefox. No more spyware for me!

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know I'm a bit late on this one, but back when I had a problem on our old computer, Noadware.net spyware removal download removed several "dangerous" items, including a worm that no one know was there. We were running norton 2004 also, but the norton was playing up. When we downloaded the noadware, (and paid for the full version, it removed everything in the list), then things started working on the computer again, that had not been working for ages. I figure you've got it sorted by now, but just in case you are interested.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Start--->Run--->MSCONFIG. Click the STARTUP tab and uncheck any of the offending EXEs, then reboot and you should be able to delete them since they won't be running next time you boot.

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Start--->Run--->MSCONFIG. Click the STARTUP tab and uncheck any of the offending EXEs, then reboot and you should be able to delete them since they won't be running next time you boot.

[/ QUOTE ]

They are a LOT smarter than this. You can uncheck them and reboot and some of them will come right back. You can delete the files that are running and they will come right back. There are other programs that sit in the background and watch to see that these things don't get deleted and if they do get deleted they copy them back.

Negeltu

Enlightened
Spybot and AdAware are fine progs to use. NO anti spyware app is completely thorough. That is why you should use Spybot and AdAware together. Along with Spyware Guard and Spyware Blaster for resident real-time protection. Don't forget a good antivirus program too.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
By the time I returned to the folks last weekend, win98 would no longer boot, even in safe mode. I reformatted the drive and installed xp along with Norton Internet Security and the Microsoft anti-spyware program.