Inova X0 disassembly?

Vee3

Enlightened
Is there a way to remove the front lens/housing without damaging the parts?

TIA

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got it. Heres the thread. Might be a bit risky though, and keep in mind that you are voiding the warranty by doing something like this. Originally, it was supposed to be for the X1 and X5 only so I am not sure about the XO. How to remove bezel from X1/X5

wei

Newly Enlightened
I want to disassembe my XO also, and change a R bin led(my XO can use 2 rechargeable 16340 cells /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif), simply not sure the freeze-pop can damage the electrocircuit or not.

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
I successfully disassembled a T3 to replace the transistor, using the freeze-pop method. It took 4 refills to completely disassemble it.
I had no collateral damages from freeze-pop method. The only problem is to reassemble the light; there are two o-rings on the bezel and it fits too tight. You need to ream the inner part of the flashlight tube and use some epoxy to seal it again.

Inovas are very well built mechanically, and the LED is well dissipated. I have some objective complaints on the electrical engineering parameters used to design the drive electronics, and about the long term reliability of the tailcap switches of the T series.

Anthony

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Someone wrote in about pressing the spring to allow the water into the spring chamber. Bubbles of air should be visible escaping said chamber. This may or may not help.

This is hopeful, since I have been wanting to do this but was waiting for someone else to do it first. Salute, anthony!

ROL: What were the results of the transistor change? Also, are you sure it was the orings that were too tight and not the bezel itself? The light should be difficult to press back together - just put it under something heavy like some furnature. Alternatively, the bezel can be ground down gradually using a file. This will make reassembly (and probably disassembly) easier.
Let us know more....

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
To eliminate the air, keep the light and the tailcap in the sink, full of water until you do not see bubbles anymore, then screw the tailcap on, keeping everything underwater.

Repeat 3 - 4 times. Note that you will not be able to unscrew the tailcap if the light is frozen.

The o-rings are not the cause of the tight fit. I suspect that Inova uses some form of liquid-air assembly method.
You will not be able to file the bezel, since it is made of stainless steel. Filing the inside of the flashlight tube is much easier.

Replacing the output transistor, and the inductor with a better one (same value, bigger core), enables the light to work with higher voltages without blowing out almost immediately.
Inserting a Schotty diode and a tantalum cap (to rectify the power at the output of the driver) made the life of the LED (and the owner) much better!

Also, reaming the entire lenght of the tube allows the use of Pila 168S without problems.

DISCLAIMER: The procedure described is intrinsically dangerous and is intended for professionals only, under controlled lab conditions. Always wear safety goggles and thick rubber gloves during the entire disassembly operation. Have a safety observer always near you. Do not use the home fridge to cool the light. Do not power the light with 123 cells until completely dried in oven at 80 °C for one hour after re-assembly.

Anthony

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is a liquid-air assembly method? I presume inova would have a special jig to press-fit the bezels. Would like to see a photo of that!

The SS bezel can be ground down, although slowly. I did it to my X1 bezel. It wasn't accurate nor done evenly, but it did make the fit a little less tight. I did it by hand, but if I did it again, I would use my drill to spin it against a file.

p.s. Checked to see that the stock led still worked?

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
The stock led and drive transistor was OK.

The liquid-air assembly is used in the automotive industry a lot. You use liquid air to shrink down a piece of metal, and fit it whereever it has to go. At normal temperature, it returns to its original dimension and is almost one piece with the rest.

Regards

Anthony

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting. If some modders got their hands on the materials and instructions on doing that, they could whip up something creative.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I never thought of that. I suppose it could be done, but it would be simpler to use physical force. If I can do it at home, I'm sure they have a much easier method.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why not heat the body, and take the bezel and put in the fridge, or turn an air-duster upside down and freeze it that way? Should help it go in better. I just used my hands to put my Xnova back together, but it came apart in 1 freeze cycle.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let's not get side-tracked here... No heating or freezing needed for reassembly, right? Just apply enough pressure.

Vrt

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Ray_of_Light said:
Do not use the home fridge to cool the light.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ray_of_Light, why do you warn against using home fridge ?