Foxfury Scout

Thread: Flashlight Rating System

Hybrid View

Default Flashlight Rating System

It seems to me it would be possible and desireable to have a standard flashlite rating system that would describe the characteristics of (most) flashlights. In fact, I bet if such a rating service were available, all the "serious" manufacturers would pay to get rated. I envision the following:

1. A physical description of the light.

2. An line graph of overall lumen rating vs time over the life of one set of batteries.

3. A color temperature rating vs time (as above).

4. A bullseye graph of the beam at some fixed distance, with fresh batteries, showing Lux ratings for each of several concentric circles - kind of like shotgun patterning.

I think this information would describe much of what most "light sensitive" people would like to know. It sounds like it might be a nice little business for someone with a few bucks and the technical know-how.

Default Re: Flashlight Rating System

That's a great idea. Another thought would be a 1 to 10 scale of throw, spill and other specifics. This would be very helpful to the non-technical of us who need laymans terms.

Flashaholic

Good idea but I don't see the maufacturers going for it unless it was something OSHA or a influential safety organization mandated it.

[ QUOTE ]
    DimBeam said:
    ...I don't see the maufacturers going for it...

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, the people here would be better for our purposes at rating than the manufacturers are.

[ QUOTE ]
    Malpaso said:
    [ QUOTE ]
    DimBeam said:
    ...I don't see the maufacturers going for it...

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, the people here would be better for our purposes at rating than the manufacturers are.

[/ QUOTE ]

I also doubt if all the manufacturers would invest in an integrating sphere to measure items 1 & 2 in the 1st post. Even if they did all have integrating sphere's, they'd also have to cooperate with each other to verify that they're data collection setups were nearly identical so that the data collected could reliably be compared.

IIRC, only one CPF member has posted as having an integrating sphere available for their use and they only have limited use. It would be great if a CPF member could perform this service on any light someone sent to them.

[ QUOTE ]
    LightObsession said:
    It would be great if a CPF member could perform this service on any light someone sent to them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if we had a forum, or listing where members could post their own personal reviews, somewhat like this Reviews

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
    Malpaso said:

Even if we had a forum, or listing where members could post their own personal reviews, somewhat like this Reviews

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent idea!!