• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Longbow Mini/Micra compatibility

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've decided to get a PR head for my Micra, and soon, probably a McCapsule, too.
A couple of questions:
If I were to buy a LB Mini, would the capsule and PR head fit?
Will my S017XA reflectors work with the McCapsule if I don't want to use the PR head?
Seems like I've read about problems with optics since the LED is a different height...
Thanks!

btw, I'm assuming the PR head works fine with the factory light...right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
btw, btw, if anyone knows the largest diameter circuit board the McCapsule will accept, it would be helpful.

chrisse242

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Owen said:
I've decided to get a PR head for my Micra, and soon, probably a McCapsule, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very good idea, I got my McCapsule kit today, and this thing rocks. I built it with a wiz2 750 and txoh and it's bright!
(Although this is probably the worst McCapsule ever built)

[ QUOTE ]

A couple of questions:
If I were to buy a LB Mini, would the capsule and PR head fit?
Will my S017XA reflectors work with the McCapsule if I don't want to use the PR head?
Seems like I've read about problems with optics since the LED is a different height...
Thanks!

btw, I'm assuming the PR head works fine with the factory light...right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
btw, btw, if anyone knows the largest diameter circuit board the McCapsule will accept, it would be helpful.

[/ QUOTE ]

The McCapsule works with the so17xa and stock head, and should work with the mini body as well, assuming the driver can handle the cells. As far as I know there are two different PR-reflectors for the stock capsule and the McCapsule, so you'll need to buy two reflectors if you want to use both capsules.
Last but not least, regular shoppe converter boards like BB, DB, Wiz and so on will fit but you can't go any bigger.
So, all I can say is DO IT!

Chrisse

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chrisse,
Thanks very much for the response.
I'm planning to use a Wizard, too, just haven't decided on the mA, yet. Right now I don't have a mini, or ECO tube, so nothing is set in stone.
Regardless, I'm going ahead and ordering the PR head.

chrisse242

Enlightened
The eco tube will be pretty much useless with any kind of wizard2 board. Voltage from 2aa will be too low, from 3cr123 it'll be too high (even they fit into the eco tube).

Actually I think the McCapsule (with T-bin around 700mA) makes the micra the light it should be from the start. It's a good light in stock condition but this mod makes it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

Have fun with your toys! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chrisse

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
What are the abilities of Wiz converter boards? I never really understood them...

chrisse242

Enlightened
They are perfect for running unprotected li-ions, cause they will shut down at 2.5V and not allow the cells to be deep discharged.
So your otions are running any cr123 or cr2 li-ion as well as any other single li-ion cell. They can run on 2xcr123 as well, but are limited to luxI and luxIII.

Chrisse

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ahh so thats what they are for. So what can they do? Are they like BadBoys? MadMaxes?

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cheapo, your second link leads to the kit of the Mccapsule only. You will have to solder the emitter and converter board seperately or have someone do it for you.
http://www.obaq.tv/cpf/?page=McCapsule
Those are the instructions on making the McCapsule. Scroll down a bit to see it.

chrisse242

Enlightened
Mags, the Wiz2 is a buck/boost type converter unlike the Badboy and madmax which are boost only. This means you can't use badboy or madmax with a lux3 and 2x123. The Wiz2/lux3 works with any voltage between 3V and 6V, although running it on one primary cr123 is not the best option - it will shut down early because of the built-in li-ion protection.

Cheapo, you'll have to buy the McCapsule kit, a converter board, an emitter and thermal adhesive to make a working capsule. (Of course you'll need a soldering Iron as well.)

Chrisse

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for clearing that up. I learn something everyday!

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe those links will work. May have to be logged in at bladeforums, though.