Best way to store batteries for a long time?

cognitivefun

Enlightened
This thread got me thinking and I thought I'd start a new thread specifically about storing lithium 123s, so I started this one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I keep my alkys in the refrigerator. My brother keeps his in the freezer. I put my 123s in the fridge.

But how is the best way to store batteries, 123s and alkalines, for a long time?

junglemike

Newly Enlightened
More important question, is not temperature, but charge state.
They will survive much better if you store them nor fully charged, neither fully discharged, but about 40% charged. If stayed fully charged at 4.2v - they will loose their capacity very quickly. If stored fully discharged - you risk that voltage may drop below 2.4v - which means unrecoverable loss of capacity. - due to small self-discharge. Reguarding temperature - I think room temperature is best one.

cognitivefun

Enlightened
I was thinking about one-time-use batteries, lithiums that cost a $1 each, how you buy 100 and store them best?

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
There have been threads on this topic in the past. I think the average consensus is storing alkalines/nimh/nicad in the fridge was adequate as putting them in the freezer increased the life but not considerably more. Unless you get a super deal on batteries, or are a heavy user of them I don't recommend stocking up for more than 5 years of normal usage.
You can always buy more cells 5 years later which may be newer technology, more capacity etc. I believe putting alkalines in the fridge reduces the discharge rate to about 1% a year which is about what lithiums discharge at room temperature. I don't consider a 5% discharge noticable to most people in applications that use up a battery in 1 hour or more.

As for lithiums, buy up to 5 years supply and keep them cooler than 85 degrees and they should be fine 5 years later. Keeping them in the fridge may reduce your loss by perhaps 2-3% which most likely you wont be able to tell the difference if you compare them to a new or room stored cell.

The cells that benefit the most from fridge/freezer storage is nimh/nicad cells. They self discharge to near nothing in 6 months or less, but having a 1 hour or faster charger essentially all but eliminates the need for storing in fridge or freezer unless perhaps you dont have climate controlled area to store them in ( below 90 degrees F).

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
junglemike said:
More important question, is not temperature, but charge state.
They will survive much better if you store them nor fully charged, neither fully discharged, but about 40% charged. If stayed fully charged at 4.2v - they will loose their capacity very quickly. If stored fully discharged - you risk that voltage may drop below 2.4v - which means unrecoverable loss of capacity. - due to small self-discharge. Reguarding temperature - I think room temperature is best one.

[/ QUOTE ]
If you figure the range of a RCR123 is from 3.0V-4.2V, 40% is around 3.4V. If you discharge a cell to 3.0V under a load and remove the load, it recovers to at least 3.4V or a bit higher. So, it would seem that as long as the cell wasn't discharged to low, one could just leave them in a discharged state!

Lately I received RCR123 from Battery Station, Battery Space and Multiple Power(CPF'r AW). They were all around 3.8V and I just assumed that was supposed to be 40% but it really isn't.

Vrt

Newly Enlightened
Does storing lithium cells increase safety ? Are alkaline/lithium cells stored in a refrigerator less likely to leak/explode ?

Vrt

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Lynx_Arc said:
The cells that benefit the most from fridge/freezer storage is nimh/nicad cells. They self discharge to near nothing in 6 months or less, but having a 1 hour or faster charger essentially all but eliminates the need for storing in fridge or freezer unless perhaps you dont have climate controlled area to store them in ( below 90 degrees F).

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it a good idea to keep occasionally used Ni-Cd/Ni-MH flashlight (with slow charger) in a refrigerator ? How less the self-discharge will be ?

I've read that Li-Ion battery is losing capacity whatever it is used or not. Does storing it in a refrigerator help neutralize that effect ?

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want to store normal CR123 Lithium batteries, make sure they are new not used. I have a couple cheap Lithium that I used for 10seconds, after a few months I try them again they didn't last long.

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Simply put;
Store in a cool, dry place.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Refrigerators are cool, but not always dry.
Many have high humidity inside them.
I once stored some flowering plant bulbs and they molded from the high moisture in there.
Even some freezers have a high enough humidity inside to develope a frost problem that is a p.i.t.a. to clear out.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Vrt said:

Is it a good idea to keep occasionally used Ni-Cd/Ni-MH flashlight (with slow charger) in a refrigerator ? How less the self-discharge will be ?

I've read that Li-Ion battery is losing capacity whatever it is used or not. Does storing it in a refrigerator help neutralize that effect ?

[/ QUOTE ]

From what I have read (in other threads here) using a fridge reduces the self discharge rate by approximately 1/2. I would guess unless you froze them in something like liquid nitrogen or got batteries severely cold approaching absolute zero (0Kelvin/-273C) you probably wont reduce the self discharge down to nothing. I think lithium type cells discharge at approx 1%/year so storing them in a fridge isn't really needed unless you are a 50's freak that has a *bomb shelter* stocked for an eon, or got a deal of 10 cents each on 1000 pieces and want your children to inherit them. I would guess lithium ion cells have similar discharge compared to disposable lithium cells.

The advice of humidity in a fridge is a valid concern, someone even sealed them in a ziplock bag with dessicant in it to remove moisture because of that concern. I don't store my nimh in a fridge and have used them up to 1 month after I have charged them and didn't notice a huge difference in capacity loss vs cells charged a few days ago. Storing them in a fridge would probably allow you to go twice as long without refreshing them some, but really not needed with lithium type cells unless you plan on storing them for perhaps a year or longer. At 1% self discharge a 750mah lithium cell would lose about 7.5mah the first year then 7.43mah the second year approx so after 5 years the cell would be at approx 713mah or losing 37mah capacity or slightly less than 5% discharge.

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast
Simpler yet: Sell them while they are still worth something, keep the cash stashed, Buy new ones when you need them.