Easy Dorcy+Keymate mod...

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
I have just replaced the LED on one of my AAA Dorcy boards with a new MJ LED and the output is very nice. I was playing around trying to improve the stock Dorcy AAA reflector and noticed my old KeyMate laying there.
I destroyed this KeyMate long ago in a failed mod attempt and kept the body just because I liked the reflector and head part. I was suprised to find the KeyMate head and reflector fit on my Dorcy AAA body very well. The beam is greatly improved now and the KeyMate head actually looks pretty good on the Dorcy body also. It simply screwed right on to the Dorcy body with no modification at all...pretty neat little mod I think.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
My KeyMate head must have different threads, it won't fit! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Robocop

Thats strange....I have just tried it on several of my AAA bodies and it works fine for me. My Keymate is a bare head and reflector only from a failed mod where I destroyed the LED in the keymate. I just realized I did remove the little legs inside the keymate head so this may have something to do with it. I guess this mod would only work if you did not wish to re-use the Keymate head.
Keep trying as mine works great. My Keymate is the newer style I guess as I purchased 2 of these about a year past.

Robocop

I really can not remember what I removed from this head when I tore it up trying to get the LED out. If you look inside it now it is simply a bare reflector inside the head. There is nothing left of the assembly that held the LED in before so my Keymate head slides down pretty far on the Dorcy body where it finally contacts the threads and tightens perfectly.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
My only KeyMate is one of the first..for the price, maybe I'll go out and get another to check out. Thanks!