Maxpedition - Active Shooter Bag 1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pelican lights are actually made in the USA!

Default Pelican lights are actually made in the USA!

I now hear that most of their products are from California, and a few are from China. But, most are from California. Even if they are Chinese, Pelican lights have been, and always will be, great products.

-David [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Default Re: Pelican lights are actually made in the USA!

I took a tour of their Torrance facilities and was told by Pelican's Regional Sales Manager, Jon French that all the Xenoy Flashlights and Cases were made there. I saw all the injection mold machines and forms that Pelican used for their cases and flashlights.

The M1 and M3's were being assembled at some other location.

Unenlightened

Default Re: Pelican lights are actually made in the USA!

They sell five headlamps that are Made in China. I bought the 2640 and I know it was made in China because it had it on the package. I called Pelican and they reluctantly told me that 2% of there products are made outside the USA. The 2600 and the 2680 headlamps are made in the USA.

Default All Pelican lights are not made in the USA!

Poke around here, you will see some Pelican products made at the shop that also makes Browning, Nuwaii, and a few other embarassments:

http://www.shykuang.com.tw/new%20eng...ex_englsh..htm

Default Re: All Pelican lights are not made in the USA!

Embarrasments? What! Pelicans are definately NOT EMBARRASING!!!!

-David

Pelicans are good (not great) lights for their price. They do have a great reflector, but the build quality is more inconsistent and the finish less sturdy than, for example, Streamlights. And to compare them to Surefires is unrealistic. Both are worth what you pay for them, but they're not equal.

They beat streamlight hands down, any day. Especially the new 3 watt.

-Davis

You seem to be struggling pretty hard to try and convince people. They are what they are....a good, inexpensive light with average build quality and better than average output. The reviews of the smaller LED lights are not very positive at all. Their polypro lights are average at best. But you get to buy whatever you want.

hey, I was just comparing it to Streamlight, so dont get all personal and stuff. You like streamlight, I like Pelican- see, those are called opinions. Opinions are beliefs or conclusions held with confidence but not substantiated by positive knowledge or proof. Ahh, good ole vocabulary inhancement

Flashaholic*

IMHO, the general hierarchy of lights goes something like:
    Dollar store special, maglight (merely ok for the price), Dorcy, Gerber, Pelican (entry level for the flashaholic) Princeton Tec, Inova (some really great stuff), Streamlight, The lower end Mods, then the higher end Mods, Surefire, Then the customs (Mr Bulk creations, McGizmo Stuff, TnC stuff ect, the best money can buy)

Princeton tech definately isnt better than Pelican. The rest are all questionable too.

-David

Flashaholic*

Princeton Tech makes some really really nice stuff, especially considering the price. I'm Biasing my comparison of the companies on all my experiences with them, what I know about the lights (reviews ect), and how much ‘value’ I feel the over all line up gives you. Don’t get me wrong I don’t know everything, but I feel I have a basic idea of they stack up to each other. Please feel free to give me what you guys think the lineup would look like.

I'll tell ya what, if you ask a good team of HAZMAT techs if they'd rather have a Surefire or a Pelican, I bet they pick Pelican. Sure, the Surefire probably has a brighter beam that's true to color and quality, but they just don't give you that "If I use this light in a highly flammable area I won't combust" feeling that a Pelican will. .

To me, lights have different markets they work best in. For everyday use, most people find a Maglite of some variety to be just fine. In most cases, even the 60 lumens from the P60 LA is overkill for the average person. Surefire's definately a, if not the, major player in the "Tactical" market. Pelican is a major player in the hazardous locations rated lights, as well as dive lights. Compairing the different markets is kinda silly, don'tcha think?

And I'd say that for an HL rated light, for the money, the only other lights in the running are from UK and Kohler Bright Star. But YMMV, of course. .

[ QUOTE ]
    cheapo said:
    Princeton tech definately isnt better than Pelican. The rest are all questionable too.

-David

[/ QUOTE ]

Read your own post about opinions....you might include a "IMHO" after your posts. Are you SURE that there are no Princeton lights that aren't better than any Pelican lights? Have you tried them all? Do you even own one? You might want to think about your posts a bit more. These don't sound like opinion....but that's what they are.

"Better" is kinda opinion based in most cases, too. In most cases, I would personally give PT the nod since they've got so many different lights. Look at headlamps, and there are so many different styles that it's hard to beat them.

Of course, in a room full of gasoline in mist form, I pick Pelican.

It's not fair to rate entire brands against one another, especially when they make a bunch of lights for many different purposes. If you pick a set, specific use, then it gets a little easier, but to rate manufacturer against manufacturer in this way is tricky.

As an example, most people would say that Surefire is better than PT. Except those who want a nice headlamp, in which case SF doesn't really offer anything except for clipping an E1e on your hat. Not the same, especially looking at what PT has done with headlamps.

[/ QUOTE ] Davidra said:

Read your own post about opinions....you might include a "IMHO" after your posts. Are you SURE that there are no Princeton lights that aren't better than any Pelican lights? Have you tried them all? Do you even own one? You might want to think about your posts a bit more. These don't sound like opinion....but that's what they are.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was only my opinion, and I thought you'de underrstand after reading my post, but now you know. If you like PT, thats fine. I was only stating my opinion.

Flashaholic*

do you work for them?

No, No. I dont work for them. The Pelican staff is very nice, and they have been nothing but respectful to me. I defend them because I have alot of respect for their company.

They were willing to either convert my old SS to the new bulb style or swap it for a new one. I wanted the original in mint condition, though, but the offer was very nice of them..

[ QUOTE ]
    cheapo said:

-David

[/ QUOTE ]

The point was that link showed where some of the Pelicans are actually made. Thats the company that manufactures them.

Flashaholic

I worked just down the street from the Pelican plant in Torrance for thirteen years (Up until the end of last Feb.) I used to take a walk on my lunch break past the place once in a while. Pelican mostly employs low-paid Hispanic immigrants for its production personnel.

Yes, their stuff is made in the US. It is not, however, made by Americans (For the most part). Almost all of the low end manufacturing (By that I mean non-Aerospace/high tech) in Southern California is done by Hispanic and Asian immigrants. I have no problem with this. We have to compete with China and all. Just don't be under the impression that "Made in USA" means that an American is being employed to manufacture the product in question. Often this is not the case.

[ QUOTE ]
    NewBie said:
    [ QUOTE ]
    cheapo said:

-David

[/ QUOTE ]

The point was that link showed where some of the Pelicans are actually made. Thats the company that manufactures them.

[/ QUOTE ]

WORD. VDG

[ QUOTE ]
    cheapo said:

-David

[/ QUOTE ]

it helps to remember that Pelican was until recently a niche company specializing in diving lights and watertight cases. If you remember, they didn't enter the LED light fray until after everyone else did, accoding to their chief engineer this was because they didn't want to be just another entry selling the same things everyone else sells. They did develop and patent the reoil-led design, and although their recoil Sabrelite didn't get rave reviews, they are continually updating and revamping their product designs. They also developed and market the M6 LED, by anyone's vote an excellent light.
    Before we "flame" a manufacturer for being "mediocre-to-average", I believe we have to acknowledge that in any progressive, tech-oriented field, there are going to be niches that develop, but I have found Pelican prodcts to be good quality and I believe they exhibit the kind of emphasis on design and development that will, in the long run, benefit the overall development and introduction of LED lights to the public.
    And no, I don't work for Pelican.

Flashaholic*

In the name of the USA, I shall buy a Pelican! (When Im 18...)

So buying them is helping the economy of the US right? Sorry, Im just stupid.

your are somewhat right, when you buy Pelican products, the money stays here. So your money will circulate throughout the USA, thereby helping the US economy.

-David

I personally am not that fond of Pelican. I look at some of their lights and they ARE definitely better than the standard maglites.. but they arent at the top.. such as.... Surefire.

Hadn't I heard of Surefire, I might consider Pelican nice lights.
    This is my opinion.

-tom

Not for tactical use, no. .

[ QUOTE ]
    Cornkid said:
    I personally am not that fond of Pelican. I look at some of their lights and they ARE definitely better than the standard maglites.. but they arent at the top.. such as.... Surefire.

Hadn't I heard of Surefire, I might consider Pelican nice lights.
    This is my opinion.

-tom

[/ QUOTE ]

no offense to members of the resident Surefire cult, but you can buy 3 Pelicans for the price of one Surefire [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

And they'll probably all work at 100' underwater, too [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

After I buy some lights wife can hit me with three Pelicans rather than just one Surefire.