Comparison of 10MCP and 15MCP Thor reflector PICS!

Spacemarine

Enlightened
I just recieved my 15MCP Thor that I bought for my HID Mod because it has a larger reflector than my old 10MCP one.

While it is much bigger, the quality (only of the reflector) also seems to be much worse. The aluminium it is made of is very thin and if you aren't careful when touching the outside you will have a den't in the reflector immediately. Obviously the worker who assembled the Thor weren't very carefully. This is the result:
thor_ref_surface.jpg

This isn't the only problem. The 15MCP reflector is (unlike the 10MCP one) fixed to the big plastic ring at the front. Normally this should look like this:

thor_good.jpg

Unfortunately one of these looks like this:

thor_bad.jpg

Here's a size comparison with the old 10MCP one:

thor_comparison_out.jpg

thor_comparison_in.jpg

I'm unable at the moment to make any comparison beamshots because the 10MCP thor is totally disassambled. I'll do some beamshots of the 15MCP one as soon as possible.

jtice

Flashaholic
LOL holy crap! its that much larger?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

I thought my 10MCP thor was huge !!!!! shhhhheeeeesh

too bad about the denting /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif guess they wanted to keep it thin to save weight.

Spacemarine

Enlightened
Re: Comparison of 10MCP and 15MCP Thor reflector P

Just made a few more pics:
thor_front.jpg

thor_top.jpg

thor_beam.jpg

This is beamshot against a white wall in my room at a distance of about 2 meters.
You can clearly see how bad the shape of the spot and the sourrounding rings is due to tha bad shape of the reflector.

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the pics. That's kinda dissapointing about the dents and the quality. O'well, it's probably still very bright.

Gekofix

Newly Enlightened

I think you got a bad one. Here is mine at the same distance! BTW: The room is pitch black before i turn the light on! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Picture%20004-1.jpg

lotsalumens

Enlightened

I agree with Gekofix that you must have gotten a bad one. My 15mcp reflector is fine, and is the same quality as your average 10mcp reflector. Just a whole lot bigger. It's actually better than my last 10mcp which came with little dents in it.

Out of three Thors I have purchased (two 10mcp and one 15mcp) two were good and one had small dents. Luckily the dents were small enough that they didn't alter the beam at all. After reading about the problems with the light above, my guess is that a decent percentage of Thors leave the factory with dents or flaws since the reflectors are so thin. Guess it's a price vs. quality control tradeoff.

Anyway thanks for all the great pics!

cfb

lotsalumens

Enlightened

p.s. Was that a black 15mcp originally, or did you swap bodies with the 10mcp?

Spacemarine

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
lotsalumens said:

p.s. Was that a black 15mcp originally, or did you swap bodies with the 10mcp?

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't swap the bodies, you see them on the photos exactly the way I bought them.

philip

Newly Enlightened

could you tell us where you bought the 'black 15mcp thor'?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Jazz

Newly Enlightened

Here's a pic of my 10mcp with a 35W HID pointing up into the night sky. Does anyone know if this is illegal? Every night, a police helicopter patrols our neighborhood. I'm afraid they will catch me testing my light and I'm not sure what the legal ramifications are.
IMG_3219a.jpg

IMG_3221a.jpg

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, I'm not sure, but I am in a situation somewhat like that and I doubt there is a law about how bright your flashlight is. But could be wrong. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Jazz

Newly Enlightened

Ignore this, I replied in the wrong thread and now I can't delete this.

mikedck

Newly Enlightened

Heya

I live in the UK and think the 15Mcp Thor is absoloutly awesome. Does anyone know if there is a UK supplier or where i could get one from.

Mike