Anyone tried modding a shoe?

Bradlee

Enlightened
I hope this isn't in the wrong forum.
(Mods, feel free to move it, if it is)

I was wondering if anyone has tried modding their kid's shoes (you know, those ones with the little red LED's), to be brighter or 'cooler'. Maybe some white 5mm Nichia's, with rechargable batteries and charging port at the back of the shoe? I imagine there would be quite a number of cool possibilities to make the shoe "stand out".

Perhaps this was a stupid question /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif; Regardless, I think it would be cool.

-Brad

Bradlee

Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

StainlessSteel

Enlightened
hookd on photons...

You just aren't tactical enough. This is the super secret, ninja, anti-zombie, STRIKE BEZEL equiped... "Practical-Tactical Shoe".

It can blend easily, with dress clothes, while retaining FULL "Tactical-ability"

I could be killed even showing it to you... I need to stay on the down low... you know how it is.

shoe.jpg

SS

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
cool then build an induction charger into the floor, so the shoe recharged when you walk inside.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Brad,

I installed a set of taps on my son's shoes (he was tap dancing in a play). On the right surface at night, you can get quite a show of sparks with a little fancy footwork... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tom

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've always wondered how the shoes work - I've seen them, but I don't have kids of my own (not at that station in life yet).

My guess.. CR2032 coin cells, and some kind of pressure switch that needs a weight on the sole of the shoe to activate (ie. it's being worn).

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,
I'm only guessing here, but it might be solid state accelerometers. The shock of hitting the ground sets them off. I dunno.

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ones I have removed from some old boots are a rectangle of clear potting with the batteries inside. A small spring with a lead in the middle acts as a shock sensor.
Jeff