5D Mag Mod. Point me in the direction pls...

Pila_Power

Enlightened
Just won a 5d M*G on ebay and now want to mod with a regulator ckt, brightest throw luxeon(if they're the brightest) but I don't know whether to go with a 1W, 3W or 5W either.

I have D to AA adaptors so this is a start. I'd prefer to use Pilas as I have a lot of them. I can solder pretty well, prefer to use SMD parts if possible too.

I hope there's a pre-fabricated circuit board out there with assembly instructions and a parts list based on Pila 168A batteries... is this asking for too much?

Thanks in advance for an help peeps!!

Tim.

AuroraLite

Enlightened
Hi, Pila Power.

For the Lux, I am not all together too experienced with 1W, but for 3W and 5W--when in focus, 3W will give out a more intense hotspot than 5W, while 5W will give out more light with less intense hotspot(due to design difference).

Personally, I had used tried and used various boards, but for Mag, my favorite is still Geroges80's board(nflex, which dimmable capability). The mod is not too difficult once you read up on the forum, and the result is simply amazing.

And when it comes to battery setup, I had used 8AA to D to run a 5W; and a 4AA to D to run a 3W(Mag 1D); both with nflex.

5D had plenty of room to play with for battery setup, and with that much potential battery power, I'd suggest to get a Tri sink(see 'Pecfect Tri sink' from Modamag) to run a 3 x Lux3. Though it might not be throwing as far as a Lux 3, from what I had seen, it gave way plenty of light output in close/medium range. And it is very useful light indeed.:D

Good luck!

Pila_Power

Enlightened
Cooooool. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ok, let me see if I got this straight as its my first mod (I don't include my soli mod as it still has some broken parts):

A) 3W Luxeon but if using tri-sink from modamag it'll be 3 x 3W?

B) George's 80 Board. Is this a regulator too?

C) Can I use Pila 168A rechargeables? I have lots of these but don't know what needs to be altered if I use them...or even HOW to install them... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I have a complete shopping list now if I look up a 'nflex mod' right?

AuroraLite

Enlightened
Hi, again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

A) Yes, 3W is definitely do-able, especially if you want throw. And that choice between, 3W, 5W or 3 x 3W or even 3 x 5W will really depends on what you need it for.

Given enough power to power the lux(or tri luxes), the 3x5W/3x3W will obiviously give out a great deal more light in close/mid range than a 3W or 5W, but 3W might do a better job at a much longer distance of 100ft+(due to a much larger reflector).

B) George is one of our fellow flashaholics on board here on CPF. I do recommend his board since it is very versatile and not difficult to work with a Mag mod. And yes, it is regulated with multi stage of drive level to a Lux(max drive level option is 8, up to 1000ma to a Lux/Tri lux)

There are a series of board he made, and the one I used is the nflex. For more info, I do encourage to check out his page here.

C) Probably. I hardly use my Pila, so I can't say much about it. But I had seen a fellow friend of mine, Kiu making his SF M6 rechargable by Pila a long while ago. And I would ask him to chime in(or you could pm him) for more details.

Before you go for the dive, I would advice to throughly read as many post as you can; do a search by 'Mag', 'Icarus'(a very talented modder with many good post/pictures about modding Mags), 'Georges80' and look around for various option/setup before you start/purchase. I had a humble writeup of mine for making a nflex Mag C--although the switch structure is entirely different, you might find the 'related link' section at the end be of little help. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Have fun modding!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Pila_Power said:
Cooooool. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ok, let me see if I got this straight as its my first mod (I don't include my soli mod as it still has some broken parts):

A) 3W Luxeon but if using tri-sink from modamag it'll be 3 x 3W?

B) George's 80 Board. Is this a regulator too?

C) Can I use Pila 168A rechargeables? I have lots of these but don't know what needs to be altered if I use them...or even HOW to install them... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I have a complete shopping list now if I look up a 'nflex mod' right?

[/ QUOTE ]

You can probably use the Pilas. Roll a paper "sleeve" to hold them, and use as many as it takes to fill up the 5D Mag. The 5D is not really a popular platform because of the unusual battery configuration. I usually sleeve 3C Mags.

I do recommend the 3xLux3 mod. This is basically the only mod I consider worthy of the Maglite's size. For me, ratio of size to power is important. Get Modamag's Perfect Trisink (PTS) and the IMS SO20XA reflectors. Tell him you want the PTS for a D-cell Mag and 20mm reflectors. I love the 20s, those are really nice reflectors.

You will need to wire all 3 Luxeons in series if you are driving them off a regulator. One configuration I'd recommend is a 3C Mag, with a Fatman (boost converter), 2 x 168A or 18650 cells.

How to tell if you need a buck or boost: total up the forward voltage of your Luxeons. (assume 3.5 x 3 = 10.5V). Total up the voltage of your battery pack - 2 x 168A would be 8.4V max, 7.4V nominal. Since the voltage of your pack is lower than the voltage of the Luxeons you need a boost converter (Fatman). If the voltage of the pack is higher (ie. you are using more cells), then you need a buck converter like the nFlex. For your 5D Mag, you're going to be able to pack a lot of Pilas, so probably an nFlex would be a good idea. www.taskled.com has assembly and wiring instructions.

I am very surprised AuroraLite did not post his awesome NFlex walkthrough but I will do it for him /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif yours will be slightly different, but many of the things will still apply.

OddBall

Newly Enlightened
Awesome Kevin!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

The 20mm reflectors, can I find out more about them somewhere? I wouldn't mind carrying around a much wider head for spotting on the farm. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Considering I'd have as many Pilas as I can fit, is there potential for danger at all?

Say I had three bundles of three Pilas and some sort or charging plug in the end of the light. What kind of charger would I need or would I have to remove all the batteries each charge?

Ok, no more questions for a while, I have a lot of reading to do - thanks Kev!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Tim.

chrisse242

Enlightened
Well I guess I'm a little /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/stupid.gif but I always fail to see the advantage of packing the small pilas into into those big d-sized bodys. If I were you I'd probably go the hotwire route. Put five d-nimh's into this light and add a nice superbulb. Maybe the one used for magcharger-mods (WA 1160, I guess). Five full sized D's should allow for an awfull runtime, or try to find decent 1/2D sized cells and put eight(?) of them in there for the WA 1185. Of course you'd need more parts like ucl, maybe a bulb holder, custom reflector but that would certainly be a throw monster that will leave any led-mod behind. Even a 5W-Luxeon could easily be powered in a 3D-Mag, why go so much bigger? The only advantage I see is less weight and the fact that you already have the pilas. But a 5D isn't exactly lightweight by itself and you can sure use the pilas for other lights?

Chrisse

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perhaps a Hotlips with a Luxeon 5 on it direct drive.
I have a 5D mag setup that way running great on nimh D cell rechargeable batteries.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with third shift - if you have that much battery power and do not mind a larger head, go for a Lux V build. You can always add a little resistance in series with the Lux V as needed.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually chrisse has a good point - why bother with a LED in this size of Mag? Thanks for reminding me, there is so much more potential. Large mags must put out proportionally more light, at least IMHO. NiMH D cells and a WA 1111 bulb would set you up for a real party. I do understand your preference to use Pilas though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The three 20mm reflectors will fit in the standard Mag head. You're essentially combining Project Mag3X's front-end with an improved heatsink (not available when I built it) and an nFlex converter.

Probably no danger with the Pilas since you are not driving them at extremely high amperages. I recommend you remove all of them to charge.

AuroraLite

Enlightened
Haha...so true that it is a probably a good host for hotwiring the light with superbulb. I too do agree with the posts above, and personally had seen many of our HK flashaholics using 4D body to play with 12V 50W bulbs. Not to mention the upcoming new board from George--the Fatflex, which could boost voltage to run demanding setup(for example, 8AA in 2D format to run 3x3W); the longer body could always be used for the more demanding superbulb.

As for Pila, I am not sure what is the max Amp that one could draw from it--there must be a cap for what is safe to run. Nonetheless, for now, if you do decide to go with Lux, I'd go a 3x3W or even 3x5W if the heat is not too much of an issue. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah I thought of the 3x5W direct drive. That would make for a really crazy bright LED light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Otherwise, the recommendation for the Pelican bulb is a good one, if you want to overdrive it I recommend 6 C cells. Mine is overdriven using six high-current Sub-Cs in a 4D Mag, since you have 5D you can use larger cells for more runtime. Might as well make use of the space.

5 D is perfect for the 1111.

OddBall

Newly Enlightened
Aww heck!! What to do, what to doooooo!!!

Ok, I'm going to do a search on the abovementioned suggestions but basically I want to go with a good quality orange peel reflector, nice and wide.

As for output, probably the best possible output I can get from LEDs, more for shock resistance factor than anything, sorry hotwire gurus!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I can't afford to replace the lamps very often... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif How much are they anyway?

So, you guys reckon the Pilas wont handle the required output for the LEDs or the fatflex...

What will I need to go with the 3 x 5W option please? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Is there a full list of parts available from someone?

Time to go searching...

Edit: Forgot to say a big appreciative THANKS!! to all you guys helping me out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
$5 a lamp. COME ON! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I reckon the Pilas WILL, but nobody has ever tried stacking so many in series before. There are ways to calculate the current draw from them and they will be ok.

If you do 3x5W, ask Modamag for his PTS-D heatsink, tell him you want to use it with SO20XA reflectors. PhotonFanatic has your LuxV stars and SO20XAs. These are small reflectors, you need 3 of them, not one big reflector (doesn't work for a multi-LED setup). They are smooth and have no orange peel BUT they have perfect beams anyway due to the way they are designed - speaking from experience with my Mag3X.

You will also want to wire the Luxeons in series (3x6.5V), stack at LEAST four Pila batteries to handle the required voltage - the more batteries, the lower the current from each individual battery. Order the Fatman driver from www.taskled.com .

Your Mag head may get really hot really fast too, you're pushing 20W of power into it.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif but that is a limitation we live with.

It's a big project, especially if you are new to modding, but it's do-able since you're already familiar with how to solder. I built the OA4D Cookbook Mag as my second project with hardly any idea how to solder.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tkgear

Newly Enlightened
Hey Tim

Just incase you want to consider the bulb option,

You can run a 12V 50W halogen bi-pin.

Should be super bright.

Brighter than a Mag85.

If you drop by Coles and look under the home lighting section, you'll be able to find 2 for $6.98, Mirabella brand.

You can get the superbulb holder from Kiu, and mod the switch. Thats US$12

You'll definately need a metal reflector and UCL or Borafloat though.

I think if you run 2 strings of PILAs in parallel, it should be able to handle the current draw.

Any expert comments on the current draw?

AuroraLite

Enlightened
Hi, Pila Power!

I guessed many good folks already chimed in for both incan and Led options, and you probably starting to have some ideas back in you head... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

KevinL did lay out a great map of attack and the shopping list for you, my only humble addition is if you were to be able to stack more than 4 pilas(I don't have enough of them for stack or the 5D)in some way(probably meaning to make a custom make battery holder), you could also consider the nflex(buck convertor) from George. The reason I have suggested that is because nflex allow user to choose level of brightness from the original switch, yet fatman will probably require you to drill a hole on body for an additional switch for brightness changing.

And should you want to enjoy both the incan and Led fun, one way is to purchase an additional Mag D switch assembly, then will the borofloat lens, metal reflector, 3AA/8AA/9AA to D adapaters(combination is up to what you want to play) and Kiu's latest Superbulb High temperature kit--you are all set for playing with superbulb with the 5D body!!

Pila_Power

Enlightened
Hmm, still my thing is with runtime unfortunately...

BUT!!

If lamps are $5 and the Pilas can be bundled up then I think I'll consider that option. I have enough Pilas to stack em in and have a full set to sit by fully charged so runtime is effectively doubled...

Ahh ok. Lets go with some super-high output though I'd like to know more about heat dissipation as heat's the enemy of efficiency.

I read somewhere about hairdryer insulation working, but mica sheet working better... I could probably find some mica locally being involved with the electronics industry... how to apply and where to apply it is another kettle of little fishies /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Anyone got a link to a modding manual with some pics saved somewhere? (The search function on this board really pulls me up short when looking for answers unfortunately).

Thanks for the shopping list Brian and 'Big Kev' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I think I need to sit back and wait for the light to arrive, then I can measure it and decide what output I can run and for how long on what power source.

I guess that's about the time I'll know which mod suits best /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

MrTwoTone

Newly Enlightened
I built a 3x5 watt direct drive on a 6D Mag.Using Ni-Mh SAFT 8.5 a/h cells this thing is a beast!Ended up with .68 ohm resistors to limit current to 2.3 amp.B2EZE is working on a copper heatsink that should help with heat management.With 5 cells the leds are way underdriven. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

OddBall

Newly Enlightened
I think I'd like to go with the 3 x 5W if it's better than the 3 x 3W version, in a 5D size I want reliability as well as phenomenal runtime so a super-bulb that lasts under 1 hour is less than ideal for my setup.

Rechargeable batteries are a must for me.

Mr TwoTone: wow!! what sort of runtime do you get/expect? Do you have the output measured yet?