how to light my appartment with leds?

flashniac

Newly Enlightened
hello everyone.
I live in a 264 square meter appartment. In the moment I am using about 25 energy saving bulbs (20 watts). But I want to start a little project to change at least 50% of my bulbs with leds. Can anyone tell me wich kind and brand of leds would be more suittable for my project?
thanks for any information that you can share.

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
so far this is the information i have.

Compact florescents:
are more efficient unless your blowing all the light of them out into oblivion. gee with 25 20w bulbs in that kinda space you should be light up like a display in a glass shop /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif if you have CF in resessed lighting, get the reflector CFs, so the light isnt wasted.
if they are behind Shades (i have even seen BLACK shades) then see if you can adjust thier location to let the light out.
but then you DIDNT ASK that. sooo .

tiny 5mm leds:
unless it fits the application, the relative light output is good, the price (compared to high output) is relative. they are a pain to wire, and they dont last long enough.
tested these for years, and i kept thinking the problem was ME, till i was shown an online data sheet that shows they indeed dont last as long.
i now "heat sink" and allow for as much cooling of them as possible.

Luxeons (whites that exist)
have the best output per unit and per watt, of anything i have tested to date , strictally with the EYE and testing IN the actual room intending to be light up.
i have tested these over years, and ouput is still good.

Various OTHER white
There are many knock off high brightness leds from china and taiwan, they are ok, reasonably priced and more often the same color as thier teammates , even if that color is not the best in the world.
none of them tested to date, have the same visable output and capacity to light up something at the same exact power, as the luxeon. but again one must concider thier price.
tested these for less years, and they are still good.

Cree high power white
aledges higher ouput per watt than the luxeon, and did improve on the way they work. From what i HEARD they aint much better, but i am going to test them against the lux things and see.

WARM vs Stark bluish white
the warms definatly have a more like incadescent soft white output , but do so at a slight loss of metered light per watt. knowing this i had to test that too.
and to the EYE, used to light the room, they were indeed dimmer.

I dont have a problem with stark bluish white light, and even the person who did ORIGINALLY have a problem with the stark white luxons and china knockoffs, would rather have had the bluish white to the dimmer warm white. i think they have lived under the bluish stuff long enough to adapt to it.

which led me to test a Warm White "LO-MOON"
a very nice warm light, output was again less visably and measured than the lux thing (run at the exact same power), but very nice light, and very nice price. and it seems to be a good package.
have not applied it other than testing, so ageing it over time i dont know.

untill i test the crees , which aledge to be the highest lumen per watt (so far), i dont know about them.

if you want to reduce your consumption, motion sencors are totally cool. but that is another subject, and a possible issue for Compact florescent, that has been discussed.

flashniac

Newly Enlightened
thanks vidpro.
and for the last thing you said i'm goingt ot try sensors, but i am still worrried that it will have an effect in the productivity of the bulb.

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
ya the compact florescents arent going to like being turned on and off like a yoyo, and the in wall switch motion sencors (best thing since wheat bread) can destroy some CF bulbs.
but even a incasecent only on 1/50th the time and only when needed, is more efficient than anything.

I got the crees in, and they are actually MOUNTED, oh happy day, i did not want to have to solder them tiny things together.

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
ok i tested the CREEs , and i am about finished with testing Psudo Luxons, this is getting expencive , and i am getting to be a brand monkey.

the Cree, was very nice, slightly warm, but not as warm as the warm lo-moon. the phosphors are defintaly in a different postition, which means the light is not concentrated in as small an area.

it seems they would be difficult to use in flashlights.

i put Both of them on the same line, a low rated , low priced luxeon, and a cree.
both were mounted at their factories on thier heat sinks
the lux on a star, the cree on its round sink.
both were NEW, and both were tested fresh, and after a few hours of burn in.

SURELY with its high lumen per watt, and wizz bang changes in phosphor coatings it would blow the lux away.
it did NOT at all.

so i tested the voltage, the EXACT same voltage drop across each unit, the exact same current through each unit.
then
i tested to INSURE that there was no inefficiency in the drive current useage, by fluxuating the power from very low to overdriven. the current I has selected for the tests, was not at any location that either of them would be inneficient, or overdriven, both would go higher linear, and both went lower linear , so running them both a SPEC, was certannly in a place that they both were happy.
BUT
the cree was darker. this is impossible, its rated higher, so i changed the angles , and the distances, and put Colors up to light so i could compare visual capacity of certian colors, again the cree was darker.

Conclusion: well if we ask cree, it would probably be that i got a bad one. HA HA, well then i will test ALL 5, and if they are all bad then its thier darn fault they output them to the public.

ok i QUICKLY tested all 5 , and the color sameness was VERY GOOD, remember the color IS indeed less blue than the luxes, but they all put out the same ammount of light at the same current and voltage.
AND
the "Vf" which i dont pay much attention to did indeed change on the one that was "burned in" i never realized that change before, because i didnt pay attention to it.

the Price of these is aparentally lower, even though i actually paid more to aquire this set.

IT IS POSSIBLE, just like some of the china leds, that the placement and QUANTITY of Phosphors, will increase the longevity of the now lower output leds.
and the cree might have the best chance of maintaining its output over TIME.
so i will indeed mount the crees, right along with the luxes, and test them both over extended periods of time, under the same basic curcuit. they will go on and off when the luxes go on and off, they will be cooled similarly, and in few years i can determine for sure that degredation over time is one way or another.
where one shines, the other might shine brighter, only time will tell.