Ways to get a better job needed.

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Many of us could always go for higher paying $$$$$ jobs than we have now, and not just for additional flashlight purchases. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif
If anyone has any helpful pointers on how to "get in".
There are some here (me included) who would be grateful. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
one tip, no mater what is required to do so, always look for the "better job" while still working in the "lesser job" waiting till your broke, fired, and desperate , is a good way to accept what you dont like to survive.
SO
instead of stopping at the end of the day, and getting drunk, and figuring you got it all worked out. keep learning more, taking night classes, networking, and looking for that acceptable job.

it amazed me when the guy with a PHD was still doing classes , to make more money, he was pulling in 90-120k and still wouldnt give up, or give 2 hours to his family.
yes that family he no longer has /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif oh heck with the money he makes now he can buy another one.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Jobhunting is a numbers game, just like sales (actually, jobhunting is sales).

Many people seem to think that they'll spot the perfect job from miles away. They labor towards it and at some point it's filled by someone else or they are rejected.

Others focus on exposure... from too few venues, ie job boards. I'll say right here and now that I think job boards are largely a waste of time. Don't work too hard on job board resumes, profiles, etc. Job boards are largely becoming another demographic to market dicey education, get-rich-quick schemes, and other dubious services to.

Another technique that some obsess over - networking. While networking is good, that guy you know at that good company may not be able to get you a job. I am not at all suggesting that focusing on parimarily networking is a bad thing - just that one needs to keep a broad focus.

You need to work as many angles as possible, and play the numbers game. Every resume that you hand out, every job that you apply for, every professional contact you meet - they're all progress. There is some vague critical mass that you need to reach before the interviews and job offers start to come in.

Formal education is very helpful if you lack it. Lacking it can be a show-stopper, but not always.

Qualifications - like education - help a great deal when applying for a job, but personality and an ability to relate, adapt, and solve problems are also important.

One last thing about jobhunting in general - asking for help has been described as the single best technique too employ.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too am in your seat. The company promises better later on, but I am a bit doubting. I have two associate degrees, but lack of experience seems to hurt me the most. I also agree about those web boards, I get a few calls a day and countless emails for pure commission sales positions, grass cutting, life and other insurances.

One thing you may consider is moving to a more successful area. I too have considered this, but its like putting the cart before the horse.

Other than that, visit the employment commission and or a head hunter.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Always bear in mind that recruiters work for their client companies, not you - regardless of what they claim. That doesn't mean you shouldn't work with them, just keep in mind their core motives are to build up a large "inventory" of (high-quality) candidates... and that they may not submit you for a position they're trying to fill if they don't feel you're right for the job.

A sure way to lose your rear in the recruiting business is to submit loser candidates for a position. A good recruiter will tell you straight-up whether or not you fit a position.

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
be there when they need someone, if they have enough, they dont care, but when THEY NEED something, the people activly pursuing it at that time are deemed to be more available.
(not including lines of people 300 long wrapped around buildings :)

never spell as bad as i do, or have as bad of grammer when communicating to them , including resumes. even if english teaching isnt part of the job /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif