Need a light for my 12 y/o Boy Scout.

JohnnyB

Newly Enlightened
I am thinking of getting my son a light for his 12th birthday. He is very active in Boy Scouts and needs a decent light for camping. I usually go with the scouts and use my SL Luxeon Jr. I am torn between getting my son the SL 4AA Lux (for a longer run time) or a light that uses multiple 5mm LEDs. (for a super long run time)

Here are my needs:

LED
Some type of attachment point for a lanyard to make it harder to lose
common rechargeables
Not a headlight
High vis, like the SL yellow

These guys do alot of setup work after dark and I have seen them trying to do it with some pretty pathetic lights. My SL Lux Jr has perfect output but the runtime is a little short, that is why I am leaning toward the 4AA.

Any comments would be appreciated.

John

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can afford it, I would get a SF L4. Lots of light, good for finding things, and can act as a general flashlight or area setup light.

The McLux series is also very nice.

This borders on communism in this forum, but forget recharge batteries - get a 123 based light and buy some of the sub $ 2 versions that work well (see the battery / electronics section - 123 shoot out).

If you really want long run time, get a Lux III light with 2 x 123.

For really long run time, a 3 x D with very high capacity NiMH cells are great, but a normal Alkaline D cell is not that useful. Just my humble opinion. Good luck and good Scouting.

captjlw

Newly Enlightened
For something that burns A LONG TIME with good throw, a good ole M*G light with one of the quality led replacement bulbs works well. For what a SF L4 (a great light) cost, you could probably get a mini M*G and a 3c M*G both with led replacement bulbs.

cy

Flashaholic
go with a infinity ultra G

10+ hours runtime and very solid. use to sellf for $15, but lately hard to find. std infinity ultra go for aprox. $18

paulr

Flashaholic
Gerber Trio, sort of a successor to the 2aa minimag. Or if something bigger is ok, SL 4AA Luxeon which supposedly is regulated and has 4 hours runtime.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are some old style Infinity task lights still around for $10 ( here and here ). I got some green ones for my daughter going the boonies for the Peace Corps and I found they were pretty good. Not real bright, but bright enough for low light camping uses, 40+ hour run times, very rugged, and they had that old Infinity form factor which I like much better than the new ones.

If you ever thought of getting one, now's the time because they have only a very few left.

enLIGHTenment

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
JohnnyB said:
I am torn between getting my son the SL 4AA Lux (for a longer run time) or a light that uses multiple 5mm LEDs. (for a super long run time)

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally, I'd recommend a T2 as the ultimate medium-sized general purpose light (short of spending both arms and a leg on a Surefire), but it fails your other requirements. Pila rechargables aren't common and all-black lights are easy to lose in the field.

Given your requirements, however, I'd suggest the 4AA Luxeon or, perhaps, a DLX-014AA. The extra brightness of Luxeon lights over LED array lights is definitely worth it unless extreme runtimes are absolutely necessary.

Keep in mind that the 4AA Lux will manage around 5h on NIMH.

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that you are better off getting your son something fairly inexpensive but of decent quality. Every child is different, but knowing how most 12 yr olds are with their stuff, they are apt to losing it, forgeting it somewhere or leaving it on. Get something sturdy. Also it should be something small enough to fit into their smaller hands and pockets.
For the after hours set ups an LED headlamp would be of most use. Many are fairly inexpensive with long run times like the Princeton Tec Scout LED headlamp $20. This would keep his hands free to set up.

For a handheld light I would look at:
Princeton Tec Attitude or Impact $19,
Streamlight 4AA Pro Polymer 7 LED or the Luxeon model with a 1 watt luxeon both about $25-$30,
UK 4AA eLED $24,

I have many expensive lights but still use my Attitude and 4AA 7 LED Streamlight regularly, especially when I am outdoors. They are good for inside the tent, walking to the bathroom or down a trail at night. If he loses it orleaves it somewhere you won't be out a fortune. They take regular batteries that you find everywhere. good luck. there are many good choices out there. Let us know what you decided on and if you like it after you used it.

greenLED

Flashaholic
UK 4AA LED, hands down.

Yellow, waterproof, LED, long runtime, decent brightness, etc... brightguy.com has'em cheap.

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd recommend the Gerber LX 3.0 ($40 at batterystation, and I think the same price at Texas Tactical Supply). I love mine---3xAA, very bright, lots of spill and decent throw, and non-regulated means super-long runtime, with gradually diminishing brightness (i.e., won't suddenly cut out on him, like the SL Jr. will do). I think it's a great light for the $, and one I most often reach for when traipsing around on dark nights.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello John,

My son had tried out most of my lights on camping trips. He has no concept of what some of the lights cost and is just reviewing them from a function stand point.

I asked him to comment on your request.

He is of the opinion that long throw lights are not necessary. If you need to see something that is some distance away, simply navigate your way closer to it to check it out. If you can't get there, wait until sun rise and then check it out.

With that said, he does like to play with the powerful lights as long as someone else is carrying them.

He feels that "high visibility" lights are "ugly." He prefers black.

He feels that rechargeable batteries are a royal pain and prefers to use primary batteries. (I was quite surprised at this until I figured out that he never buys batteries. He uses mine...)

His top picks for lights are the $1 slide switch key chain lights, and the 0.5 watt 2 X AAA LED light from Nuwai. He stashes the key chain lights in his pack and on his zipper pulls and throws one or two in his pants pockets. That is his primary light. If he needs to lead a night hike, he pulls out the 0.5 watt light.

Prior to the 0.5 watt light, he used a Mini Mag 2 X AA with a BB400 sandwich in it. He prefers the smaller size of the 0.5 watt light.

Battery run time has not been an issue on any of our camping trips. I believe he had to change batteries in the bigger light during the week of summer camp, but that was not an issue because he remembered to bring extra batteries. Most of the time he is using the key chain lights and the load is divided up amongst several of them.

Several of the other Scouts have head lamps, but my son is not interested in them.

Tom

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
SO many gread recommendations!

I am in with the UK4AALED. Add an incan LA for about $6.

The Infinity Ultra is a great choice, as is the Trio, SL4AALED.

The Attitude/Rage are a great inexpensive combo allowing long throw, good flood and long runtime. You can hold them in your teeth if needed, and they are waterproof.

The Tec-40 kicks butt. Gotta love the PR bulbs.
A headlamp can be very useful as well.

Choices...choices...choices!
Didn't help much, did I?

Bob

DBrier

Enlightened
For a 12 year old, I would also recommend the UK eLED 4AA. Puts out enough light to do anything at a campsite and will run for ever. Simple, tough and cheap is what good kids light should be.

Another possibility is the new Xtreme Dive Light Luxeon from Advancemart. 4AA, 1 Luxeon, and three power settings. Medium is about the same as the UK eLED, but high is not as powerful as the SL Propolymer Luxeon.
Quickbeam has nice review of it. I am going to have to order one.

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello sir, I am an eagle scout and used to use my Surefire L1 on scout camps (before I lost it).. I think it's perfect. Its small, uses one cell, has two stages, and feels nice.

I would also recommend the e2l for its nice throw and overall runtime...

If you are looking for a cheaper light, I would recommend the Inova X5t and the G2 or 6P... ( They are incandescent.. but give a nice throw when in the woods.)

-tom

Longbow

Enlightened
Get him the Streamlight 4aa Propolymer Luxeon, as effective as anything Surefire has to offer, and at a fraction of the cost!!!

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another vote for the UK 4AA LED. Good all around light that will stay bright for 11+ hours on easy to find AA's. Durable, able to accept a lanyard for attaching it to a backpack or other gear, and it doesn't cost a fortune.

DoubtingBeliever

Newly Enlightened
I'm in with those who recommend the uk 4aa LED. Long run-time with very flat regulation, very durable, available in bright colors and the price won't kill you. In terms of bang for the buck, this is one of the best lights I own.

-Roger

JohnnyB

Newly Enlightened
I'd like to thank everyone who took time to compose a response to this message. There were some really great suggestions.

I went with the SL 4AA LUX from Brightguy.

Thanks again,
John