Acebeam
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Petromax kerosene lantern from BriteLyt?

Default Re: Petromax kerosene lantern from BriteLyt?

Okay it turned up today and while the finish is supurb,it was spoilt by the fact the washers on font are lead sheet and you wouldn't expect to use repair kit with better washers to fix it as new. Alsoo what I believe is swarf in tube that goes over jet.

Mine came via dealer from pelam as the box has their details and accessory brochure, my experience is best covered www.petromax.org.uk.

My advice is an original German Army one as the current lanterns are best described as CRAP out the box.

Pelam are in denial and the Germans think that pelam claiming to be the manufacturer bear no responsibility for product quality control!

Flashaholic

I thing CRAP would be an understatement. Also dangerous should be in there.
    dave

These clones are just HORRIBLE! I have to old original Aidas and they do a great job. I think a representative of the BriteLyt company is trolling in here, so be leery of anyone singing the BriteLyt praises.

The old German pieces are excellent. And a lot of the Middle Eastern stuff I've seen over the years is pretty good. But BriteLyt, just awful. This manufacturer has less of a love for building great lanterns. And more of a love for luring suckers to line his pockets with greenbacks.

I've been looking at the BriteLyt website for a long time. Their webpage seems to indicate it is the quality product of the genre. So, this is not the case? Is there another manufacturer of the Petromax style design that is top quality? The BriteLyt is expensive and if I was to invest in this product, needless to say, I want top quality.

What's your application?

Quote Originally Posted by amham View Post
    I've been looking at the BriteLyt website for a long time. Their webpage seems to indicate it is the quality product of the genre. So, this is not the case? Is there another manufacturer of the Petromax style design that is top quality? The BriteLyt is expensive and if I was to invest in this product, needless to say, I want top quality.
    If you want quality, buy an original that was made in Germany. Over time, the brand name changed from Petromax to Aida to Geniol and back to Petromax. The Chinese ones (including Brytelyt) are called Petromax but do not say Made in Germany. I picked up a mid 1960s Petromax on the Coleman Collectors forum for $60 a few weeks ago. It has some dents but it feels very high quality and it is my brightest lantern (even brighter than my 550 candlepower Northstar). Expect to pay $60 to $200 based on exterior condition but they should all run well with a few adjustments and a good cleaning.

I have a knock off petromax. It was trouble. Parts broke and I never bothered replacing them.

Honestly, and I'm also an gas light enthusiast, if you want a good solid lantern to use, it's all about a Coleman.
    There is a reason they survived, they honestly are the best.
    There are little things about them that I find make them safer and more reliable than the other designed. They are also a lot less complicated, easier to work on, easier to get parts, etc.

If you want a coleman that rivals the Petromax, try to find a Coleman Major 236. It's honestly the best lantern I've ever owned and it's the one of my 20some odd collection I used the most.

If you want the Kerosine equivalent, looks for an Empire 237. You'll need to pack burning alcohol to start it, but it run's bright, especially if you use the 500cp petromax mantle.

For both of these lanterns, I use a petromax reflector for the 500cp. Fit perfect and doubles it's capability.