No Batteries Allowed!?

meeshu

Enlightened
Top Secret! So secret even I don't know where I am
Just received a flashlight from a dealer, but there were NO batteries included (2 x 123s). Dealer replied to my email enquiring about the (missing) batteries, and claimed that the batteries were included with the light when shipped.

I did note that the package was inspected by local (NZ) Customs, and it is possible that the batteries may have been removed by them. However, I have had numerous other lights with batteries, and batteries only, pass through Customs without confiscation, until (perhaps) now.

This is the first time I've purchased from this particular dealer. There was no filler used for the package, so the light was probably bouncing around in the package during transit. However, there was no apparent damage to the light (fortunately). And it was unlikely the batteries would have fallen out of the light, as it takes quite a few turns of the light bezel to expose the battery compartment.

So, as far as I'm aware, there are no import restrictions on batteries (here in NZ; I've checked the import restrictions at the Customs website and there is no mention of restrictions on batteries) unless there has just been a recent change in policy? Anyone know?

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
some european countries are banning Cadmium, but it does not sound like you were getting rechargables.
then mercury is not used as much anymore, but i dont think it is banned.
would they have been very tiny mercury batteries?

mabey the customs agent was running a bit dim, and needed a new set /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
i am happy to not have (easily aquired) batteries shipped, it just costs much more to ship stuff.