HDS Systems
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: USL Field Test Thread, Pt 3

Default USL Field Test Thread, Pt 3

This is a continuation of USL Field Test Thread, Pt 2, which was a continuation of USL Field test thread.

Thanks to darkgear.com for hosting the Marshmallow Movie.

Default Re: USL Field Test Thread, Pt 3

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bumpit.gif[/img] to get it in front of Pt 2.

Interesting thread, thanks to all who posted here....sorry I can't write any first impression because I haven't an USL now [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] and because my english is too bad... In fact I look just at images, and I try to translate lengths post with sometimes some difficulties [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] So, PLEASE post more pictures and Beam shot !! Thanks . [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
    Frenchyled said:
    ... and because my english is too bad...

[/ QUOTE ]

If this forum were in French, I'd save a lot of money because I wouldn't be able to read anything [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I vote we switch CPF over to French so I can get out of the poor house and Frenchyled can buy a whole bunch more lights

*Flashaholic*

Lemme see,

A cup of coffee this morning in Providence, RI.
    A Double Quarterpounder w/cheese in Minneapolis/ St. Paul.
    Home Sweet Home in CM this afternoon. (What's left of me, anyway. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] )

Beamshots? OK, I hunted down a dirty, off-white livingroom wall from 5-6 feet. At least the target held still for me! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif[/img]

Larry

That's a weak looking USL!

No spill from Mr. Maxi!

I want a Beast!! (Well a Maxabeam too!)

Bill

Larry, does the Beast put out more light overall, and the genius of the Maxabeam lie in the focusing system.

Welcome home, BTW!!!

Bill

*Flashaholic*

The MB is all about throw, and I think they claim a 1deg beam at tightest focus, which is where I set it for the pic. IMO, the Beast puts out more Lumens, as the MB has to be at almost max focus to eat the Beast's hotspot! The USL is no slouch, and when you add-in its much smaller/lighter formfactor and way much lower co$t, it's the most bang for the buck!

Larry

Don't forget, the camera probably set the exposure based on the Beast's beam, so the others probably appear a bit dimmer than actual, but the ratios between them are accurately represented.

Way to go Larry!

The fog finally arrived! Though it was a heavier fog than I had hoped for, we now have a few shots that show the beam in all it's glory. I'll get them posted as soon as I can today.

In the meantime...

Flashaholicism Sign #13 - you wake up at 5:30 in the morning to find the first fog since acquiring a new light, throw on a t-shirt, shorts, and a pair of 20+ year old Docksides, then head out into 39°F wet weather and take pictures of the light's beam.

Flashaholicism Sign #14- During Sign #13, a neighbor (a reserve sheriff's deputy no less) comes out to go to work, sees you standing in the street with a camera on a tripod while shining a torch down the street, and he doesn't even think it out of the ordinary enough to ask, "What the h#($ are you doing?"

Okay, here they are. Since I hadn't had any coffee yet, and I did have to get ready to go to work, these were totally un-planned, spur of the moment shots. I didn't have my new rangefinder nor any other lights, such as my SureFire Z3/P91, U2, or my Aleph3 2x123 DB917. I especially regret not getting the Vector out. I also wish I'd had my Nikon 5700 so that I could have done some bracketed exposures. The 5200 tried it's best, but these conditions are pushing it's capabilities when used under time constraints.

There was a bit too much fog to really see the reach of the USL in these photos. I was hoping for about half as much.

So, these may not be very meaningful, but here they are anyway.

Down the street, ambient lighting:

Down the street, USL:

Up the street, ambient lighting:

Up the street, USL, targeting a street sign (?? yds):

Straight up:

For the size/money/output of the USL, I'll take it over any other light sabre, including those now whimpy-looking Star Wars things. I can see why Darth Tater "borrowed" mine, er, Bill's!

Oh yeah, when D. Tater returned the USL, he said he'd been thrown out of Skywalker ranch for blinding George Lucas. Now you know the REAL reason that there will be no more Star Wars Episodes. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
    Codeman said:
    Down the street, ambient lighting:

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought *THAT* huge orange thing was the USL... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

And regardless, those are beautiful pics. You can see the USL like some gigantic pillar of light extending up into the sky [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif[/img]

Great pics Ray!!!

What I think is cool is how that big blob of orange shrinks in size once the USL is turned on!

Bill

U - Ultimate
    S - Sodium
    L - Lamp

USL Tamer!

I really hate that lamp...the irresponsible, dang-the-consequences rebel in me really wants to [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/xyxgun.gif[/img] it!

Eventually, I will have a moral victory over it, as soon as I find the dadburn photocell that's controlling it! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Oh, yeah, I noticed one cool thing. The water droplets were being effected by the USL's light near the head. My guess is that the heat of the lens was causing some slight current changes in the air, but you can easily see the water vapor's flow pattern being disrupted. So...we can now add really cool physics lesson apparatus onto the USL's growing list of abilities.

[ QUOTE ]
    KevinL said:
    I thought *THAT* huge orange thing was the USL... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Hmmmm....we haven't seen a full-on shot of the USL pointing AT the camera yet, have we? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif[/img]

I don't know about that, you might want to shield the internal light meter!

Traditional film wouldn't work, just be all white.

Bill

I guess I could just post a picture that's all white! Same thing, right?

I've got enough limo tint to tame the USL...well, as long as it doesn't get close enough to melt...

NO....I will not listen to nor heed your warnings, Bill!

Extreme lights require extreme testing...

Onward the hard heads will march!

Besides, the USL warranty covers incidental damages to targeted objects, right? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/str.gif[/img]

I can hardly wait!!

Flashaholic

I want to see an "after" picture of Ray, you know, a picture of him after he has singed his eyebrows while trying to take a picture of the USL's beam!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
    Codeman said:

Hmmmm....we haven't seen a full-on shot of the USL pointing AT the camera yet, have we? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Tried that already. Had to buy new camera after...[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/stupid.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Okay, I'll surrender to the wisedom of Bill & MR Bulk. I am waiting for one of my camera's to get back from the shop already.

Fat_Tony - the first experience I had with the USL was right after I installed the bulb from where Bill shipped it with the bulb wrapped separately. Well, since I had the head off, I decided to go ahead and slip the Nite Ize Lite Ring on before I put the head back on. Note, however, that that was AFTER I installed the bulb.

While slipping the ring over the switch, with the USL about 7" away from my eyes, which were looking straight down at the switch - BOOOOMM! Instaflashed my eyeballs. I think it was about 20 minutes before I could see ANYTHING and another half-hour or so before the spot went away. That's the picture that should have been taken!

At times, like Charlie said, [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/stupid.gif[/img]

Nice pics....much prefer the solo beamshots to the comparism ones...keep on snapping gents!

I like both, because it gives you a scale to judge against, though the Beast and the Maxabeam are pretty heavy competitors.

Bill

How about a comparism between a standard 2/3D Mag & the USL?...LOL..same size are'nt they?!...oh and I did like Mr Bulks idea of a ceiling bounce comjparism with a standard ceiling light?!

*Flashaholic*

[ QUOTE ]
    Fat_Tony said:
    I want to see an "after" picture of Ray, you know, a picture of him after he has singed his eyebrows while trying to take a picture of the USL's beam!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey! I laid claim to the first singed facial hair! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Larry

Fantastic pics Ray. Despite the USL being described as putting out a wall of light, you've managed to capture the core spot/throw of the light. It's amazing to think it has a light sabre spot that bright, and also a phenomenal amount of spill/flood. and to penetrate fog that distance is a feat for any light I'd say.

I had a thought re a safety for the USL: I'm not sure of the switch dimensions and the exposure of the switch rocker, but would it be possible to drill a clean hole through the rocker at a transverse to the switch action, such that a split-pin or wire could be inserted through the hole and across the switch (possibly the wire being wrapped around the body of the light) thus preventing the rocker being pressed forward and this would prevent any accidental turn-on?

I hope this makes sense and could be considered.

Thanks,

Dave.

*Flashaholic*

Hi Dave,

I am working on a possible safety guard for the USL's switch. The issues are how much will it detract from the "stealth" aspect, including non-matching color, and will it delay the project. The first is negotiable, but the second isn't. I lost three days travelling and will be out of town again again fri-sunday. I hope I can do it, but will not delay this project! I hadn't considered drilling a cross hole through the switch! It might work, but I only have the light and I have cut into spring pockets attempting to modify switches before. Maybe Bill could give it a try with a bare switch? (1/16" hole for a cotter?)

Larry

Larry definitely earned the first singed facial hair award! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif[/img]

Dave, I had thought of your idea a couple of weeks ago. I just think the switch is just too small for it to be practical. Were a hole to be drilled in it, I suspect it would only be a matter of time before the switch broke. However, I would be tinkled pink if the wizard of things small, tvodrd, could pull it off! My escapades of a week or two back with the disassembly of the prototype was to get Larry some measurements for what he's working on. I've got complete faith that, between Larry and Bill, if something can be worked out, we'll see it at some point.

Regardless of what can or can't be done, this light definitely calls for the owner to be responsible. I very much like the Nite Ize Lite Ring for some added protection against accidental turn on. It hasn't happened once since I've had it on the USL, well, except for that very first flash of myself. But, it's my responsibility to remember to push the ring back onto the switch. If I forget to, or I put the light somewhere where the ring could get pushed down and the switch flipped, it would be my fault - not the light's.

It's just like keeping your finger out of the trigger guard and off the trigger until you are ready to fire. Repetition, repetition, repetition is what makes it safe. It's now a habit for me, so I feel relatively safe. It's not perfect, but nothing humans can invent will ever be perfect.

For the extra safety it provides, the Lite Ring is a clean, easy to use, and very cheap addition. I'd even tried to track down a supplier with enough on hand to consider the possibility of a group buy on them. I found 12 at one dealer, and about 20 more at another. After that, well, it will probably just be easier for individuals to buy them directly. Several internet sites sell them (see www.niteize.com for a list), as well as REI and some other traditional stores.

naromtap - I bought a stock 2D Maglite a week or so ago, for that very reason. I should have thought about it this morning. It's on my list to do.

*Flashaholic*

Hey Ray,

Not to forget no good deed went unpunished! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif[/img] (Thanks, the pics "enlightened me!") [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif[/img] urself!

Larry

Some things are worth the punishment! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Let me play devil's advocate a bit more on the cross-pin idea.

I'd really be surprised if it could not be done. So, let's say I've got one.

Well, the cross-pin itself adds to the switch's effective surface area in regards to being bumped, meaning it's more likely to be bumped with a cross-pin than without. So, as time goes on, the cross-pin keeps the light from turning on when it's bumped and I build up confidence in it. But, each time it's bumped, the pin transfers the force of the bump to the switch, but it does so in a way that the switch was not originally designed for. It's a strudy plastic/polymer/whatever it is, to be sure. But, over time, those stresses will almost certainly lead to the hole enlarging or micro-cracks forming. Eventually, the material will fail. By then, I may have develped an over-confidence in it's safety, maybe to the point that I've taken to tossing it in a bag without being careful. Well, when the switch finally does break, I might not notice that it happened. I walk off, only to discover later what happened, possibly in a very unfortunate way.

If that happens, was the USL really made safer by a cross-pin safety? I don't think so.

I much prefer a known danger to the possibility of a hidden one cloaked by over-confidence in a less-than-ideal arrangement. Which is why I discounted the idea not long after it occurred to me.

Still, I'd love to be proven wrong on this. A cross-pin that would hold up over time would be the ideal solution, IMO. Unfortunately, though, I think the switch would have to be made of some type of metal to reach that level of reliability.

Having had the honor of seeing Larry's idea in some email he sent to me, I do think Larry's guard idea would add a lot of safety. With all due respect, and that would be a lot, I'm just not sure I'd want to give up the stealth aspect of the USL. I might, though. I think Larry's the last person I'd say "it can't be done" to. He's probably the most able person around to prove such a statement wrong!

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast