USL Field Test Thread, Pt 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bumpit.gif to get it in front of Pt 2.

Frenchyled

Flashaholic*
Interesting thread, thanks to all who posted here....sorry I can't write any first impression because I haven't an USL now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif and because my english is too bad... In fact I look just at images, and I try to translate lengths post with sometimes some difficulties /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif So, PLEASE post more pictures and Beam shot !! Thanks . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Frenchyled said:
... and because my english is too bad...

[/ QUOTE ]

If this forum were in French, I'd save a lot of money because I wouldn't be able to read anything /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I vote we switch CPF over to French so I can get out of the poor house and Frenchyled can buy a whole bunch more lights
Sen_Smilewide.gif

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Lemme see,

A cup of coffee this morning in Providence, RI.
A Double Quarterpounder w/cheese in Minneapolis/ St. Paul.
Home Sweet Home in CM this afternoon. (What's left of me, anyway. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

Beamshots? OK, I hunted down a dirty, off-white livingroom wall from 5-6 feet. At least the target held still for me! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

site1065.jpg

Larry

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
The MB is all about throw, and I think they claim a 1deg beam at tightest focus, which is where I set it for the pic. IMO, the Beast puts out more Lumens, as the MB has to be at almost max focus to eat the Beast's hotspot! The USL is no slouch, and when you add-in its much smaller/lighter formfactor and way much lower co$t, it's the most bang for the buck!

Larry

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't forget, the camera probably set the exposure based on the Beast's beam, so the others probably appear a bit dimmer than actual, but the ratios between them are accurately represented.

Way to go Larry!

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The fog finally arrived! Though it was a heavier fog than I had hoped for, we now have a few shots that show the beam in all it's glory. I'll get them posted as soon as I can today.

In the meantime...

Flashaholicism Sign #13 - you wake up at 5:30 in the morning to find the first fog since acquiring a new light, throw on a t-shirt, shorts, and a pair of 20+ year old Docksides, then head out into 39°F wet weather and take pictures of the light's beam.

Flashaholicism Sign #14- During Sign #13, a neighbor (a reserve sheriff's deputy no less) comes out to go to work, sees you standing in the street with a camera on a tripod while shining a torch down the street, and he doesn't even think it out of the ordinary enough to ask, "What the h#($ are you doing?"

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, here they are. Since I hadn't had any coffee yet, and I did have to get ready to go to work, these were totally un-planned, spur of the moment shots. I didn't have my new rangefinder nor any other lights, such as my SureFire Z3/P91, U2, or my Aleph3 2x123 DB917. I especially regret not getting the Vector out. I also wish I'd had my Nikon 5700 so that I could have done some bracketed exposures. The 5200 tried it's best, but these conditions are pushing it's capabilities when used under time constraints.

There was a bit too much fog to really see the reach of the USL in these photos. I was hoping for about half as much.

So, these may not be very meaningful, but here they are anyway.

Down the street, ambient lighting:
4710300-USL1-DownStreetAmbient.png

Down the street, USL:
4710301-USL1-DownStreetUSL.png

Up the street, ambient lighting:
4710302-USL1-UpStreetAmbient.png

Up the street, USL, targeting a street sign (?? yds):
4710304-USL1-UpStreetUSL.png

Straight up:
4710308-USL1-StraightUpUSL.png

For the size/money/output of the USL, I'll take it over any other light sabre, including those now whimpy-looking Star Wars things. I can see why Darth Tater "borrowed" mine, er, Bill's!

Oh yeah, when D. Tater returned the USL, he said he'd been thrown out of Skywalker ranch for blinding George Lucas. Now you know the REAL reason that there will be no more Star Wars Episodes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Codeman said:
Down the street, ambient lighting:
4710300-USL1-DownStreetAmbient.png

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought *THAT* huge orange thing was the USL... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

And regardless, those are beautiful pics. You can see the USL like some gigantic pillar of light extending up into the sky /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
U - Ultimate
S - Sodium
L - Lamp

USL Tamer!

I really hate that lamp...the irresponsible, dang-the-consequences rebel in me really wants to /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/xyxgun.gif it!

Eventually, I will have a moral victory over it, as soon as I find the dadburn photocell that's controlling it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Oh, yeah, I noticed one cool thing. The water droplets were being effected by the USL's light near the head. My guess is that the heat of the lens was causing some slight current changes in the air, but you can easily see the water vapor's flow pattern being disrupted. So...we can now add really cool physics lesson apparatus onto the USL's growing list of abilities.

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
KevinL said:
I thought *THAT* huge orange thing was the USL... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Hmmmm....we haven't seen a full-on shot of the USL pointing AT the camera yet, have we? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess I could just post a picture that's all white! Same thing, right?

I've got enough limo tint to tame the USL...well, as long as it doesn't get close enough to melt...

NO....I will not listen to nor heed your warnings, Bill!

Extreme lights require extreme testing...

Onward the hard heads will march!

Besides, the USL warranty covers incidental damages to targeted objects, right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/str.gif

Fat_Tony

Enlightened
I want to see an "after" picture of Ray, you know, a picture of him after he has singed his eyebrows while trying to take a picture of the USL's beam!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Codeman said:

Hmmmm....we haven't seen a full-on shot of the USL pointing AT the camera yet, have we? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Tried that already. Had to buy new camera after.../ubbthreads/images/graemlins/stupid.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.