Q: SF 2005 HA-III Coating Colors

s201

Newly Enlightened
I have a question about the HA-III coating color Surefire is putting on their flash lights. From the 2005 catalog, they are OD green (besides U2, E2D etc...). But a web store is having a E2L matte black on display where it is green on the catalog (http://www.lapolicegear.com/sue2loufl.html). Can anyone verify that the color of the coatings they are using on the new lights?
I'm looking into a L2, and it'll be very nice if they have a matte black coating for it.
Thanks!

Size15's

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF!

The E2L comes in natural HA.
The photo on the page you link to is not matt black.

"HA" for SureFire means it can be a shade or hue from extremely dark grey, through lighter greys, through to greys with green or brown hues.

The "colour" of HA you see depends on the lighting conditions - direct sunlight, camera flash, fluorescent etc etc all bring out different appearances. The differences are real, but some lighting conditions make the differences more pronounced.

DSC0600223.jpg

Shelby Chan Photography

Black HA is very much black (sometimes a bit purple) but it is not grey.

Here's an example of the difference:
P33.jpg

P94.jpg

al-u2k.jpg

al-u2i.jpg

SureFire's HA is produced for function rather than colour matching.

s201

Newly Enlightened
Wow... That is a very warm welcome, and a teaser too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I got the matte black L2 thought from this post (towards the end) and wish that it's true.

So the HA-III 'natural grey' color comes different from batch to batch. Then what about the ones from the 2005 catalog that are listed as 'OD green'? Are they more green than the previous years?

Size15's

Flashaholic
Not that I'm aware. More likely they're just trying to describe HA and not finding the right words...

I'm not aware of the L2 being released in Black (HA or otherwise).

As for the L4 in Black HA - I guess that is more likely since the KL4 comes in Black HA for the M600A ScoutLight.
I've not seen any L4-BK versions though.

Al

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Outstanding reply, Al! "HA" (Type III, class 1) will also vary in color as a function of alloy, the alloy's particular batch/lot, the time in the bath, the part's thickness, calibration of the current and time in the bath, the purity of the final post-anodize rinsewater, the grain of the aluminum in the bar stock, and last, but not least, the phase of the moon!!! Trying to "match HA" is like tilting windmills. The product's price would go up exponentially. Dispite the color, the functionality remains the same!

Larry

Latest posts