the new L1: what's the point?????

cognitivefun

Enlightened
the new L1: what\'s the point?????

I had purchased an L1 from Botach and it was old style, and I loved it except it was too blue so I sent it in after a few days of ownership.

Meanwhile, I got an L4 with 2 stage McGizmo switch and some other lights, including a 1X123 Aleph that has great throw, perfect white color, decent sidespill and is tiny.

Now the L1 came back. SureFire gave me a new head. Very nice of them, but the new style.

This thing has very little sidespill and good throw. My Aleph has a much better beam, good throw with more usable sidespill. My L4 is only a bit bigger and far brighter when I need it to be, with a great flood, and a very useful low setting for nighttime. Far more useful than the L1 low setting, which is too spotty IMHO.

So I am sorry that I didn't get an old-style L1 with a decent beam color, and wondering what all the fuss is about re the new L1. I don't see the point.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: the new L1: what\'s the point?????

Some people like throw.

I personally prefer a balanced beam. If the beam cannot have perfect balance, I'd rather have more flood.

I would like Surefire to offer the L1 and KL1 with a reflector option--so those of us that like a balanced beam could get one.

Lara

Newly Enlightened

I love the flood of the old L1, it's a very useful light. The new L1 is a totally different light, and it can not be called "an improvement", it's a change. It's an improvement for those who need throw, but for those looking for a flood light for close-up work, the new version is not nearly as good as the old one. Surefire shouldn't have replaced the old L1 in my opinion, they should have introduced a new model instead.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast

I was wondering after reading the other L1 thread, something. First i do feel beam type is a personal preference, no wrong or right.

Since i notice SF has been going with these new light's in a throw setup, I wonder if there there military feedack has been for more throw. CPF as big as it is, is not the only market for there light's. And I can see where in the army app's,
throw would be more important. just a thought. VDG

cognitivefun

Enlightened

there's no right or wrong here. The spill is practically non-existent and that doesn't work well for me.

Why does it work for you? Just curious...

cognitivefun

Enlightened

does the F04 beamshaper improve the L1? Does it work on the L1? The SF site doesn't list the L1 as working with it...

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

My personal opinion is that I like the beam of my original L1 better than I like the beam of the new L1, for all the reasons already stated.

Since I do not rate flashlights on my website based on their beams alone (that would be a subjective opinion), that characteristic does not appear in my star ratings, but may be included as commentary within the web page itself.

That said, I'll state my opinion again: I like the beam of my original L1 better than I like the beam of the new L1.

cognitivefun

Enlightened

I guess I'll try the beamshaper and see what I think. I just ordered one. Thanks for posting the photos, KevinL.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic

I'm really suprised that the replacement was the new (different) model. That's like buying a Camry (4 door) to haul the kids around, and getting back a Corvette (two seater) after having it's oil changed. It might be a step up, but it is not always appropriate.

I like my old L1 since I replaced the original low dome luxeon with a 3 watt S bin. The color is 100% better and the beam is quite usable.

Daniel

Pwdrkeg

Enlightened

No one light works well in all occasions. I have the new L1 and in my
humble opinion the L1 is an excellent little "General Use Light". I find
the size is neither to short or to long. It positions itself comfortably in
my hand and is a pleasure to operate the two position switch that give
me instant access to a low or high beam. Its size also lets it ride
comfortably in my pocket. Generally I use the L1 inside a building or
enclosed area, however, the high beam has very good throw during
outside use. The reflection of the low bean doesn't blind me during
close up work and is adequate for navigation in a dark area, with the
high beam quickly available. Although the high beam is a bright spot, the
reflected light generally illuminates the entire area, and a flood isn't
needed, especially indoors and it allows me to concentrate on the area
of interest. It seems that so many people on this forum are looking for
more throw, well the new L1 has it, and at greater distances the width
of the spot seems more that adequate. For a small light it does pretty
darn good. The L1 provides two very usable beams of light without
eating batteries two at a time.

I guess my point is that the L1 is a great "General Use Light", and most
of us need a general use light "most" of the time. There are many great
lights out there and the L1 is one of them !

...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy23.gif ....... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

cognitivefun

Enlightened

I took the L1 out with the dog tonight. It works much better outdoors than indoors. It is a neat light outdoors. The beam opens up and illuminates things at a distance. Quite nice.

I ordered the beam shaper and will see how that works. This light is growing on me.

cognitivefun

Enlightened

BTW, any issues running rechargable lithium in the L1?

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast

According to Pwdrkeg in another thread, it is okay to use a li -ion R123 in the new L1.

Flashlight Enthusiast

Anyone think that Surefire will ever offer a KL1 / L1 version with a reflector? To me, that would be ideal. I rarely use my KL1s because at close range--the range I use a light over 95% of the time-- its too bright (hotspot), with almost zero sidespill.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

I did mention in another post about my 4th-gen KL1 (functionally equivalent to the 2005 L1 on high beam) that the light really comes into its own at ranges of 15ft or more outdoors. It throws more effectively than other more flood lights. For indoors, use the beamshaper. I took a walk around with the beamshaper last night and it was perfect.

Now I think I understand why SF did things the way they did. You can convert a throw light to a flood suitable for indoor use, but it is not so easy to convert a flood light into a thrower - you'd need replacement heads, larger reflectors and photon management systems. Think Turboheads. It would be easier to design a throw light and then provide a tiny little beamshaper that both looks good, protects the bezel against dings (something that's a big issue), and is easy to pull off at a moment's notice. (the L1 is not a combat light, and besides, beamshapers were meant specifically for 'non tactical use').

It's the closest thing to variable flood/throw that we have /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
cognitivefun said:
there's no right or wrong here. The spill is practically non-existent and that doesn't work well for me.

Why does it work for you? Just curious...

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed no wrong or right.
It works
well for me because as you noticed it in your post above ( and KevinL said to,) outdoor's it's a very good beam that does shoe it's self better out there as it widen's. I use my HDS
more these days , tight beam also but some good spill.
If SF could make it throw like that with a reflector i would love it more!
But I notice it's throw is so good it match's my HDS on 60, so maybe SF is not good at tuning reflectored light's an went for optic/throw. again I wonder if it had been requested from LEO or military a small light with more throw. VDG