• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Lux V & r123 (li-ion) - Which converter?

sunbeam

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
I need to drive a 5W luxeon with a single 3.7v r123. Is it possible? Which converter board could work?

Thanks,
Francesco

cy

Flashaholic
BB750 will allow 1x R123 or 2x CR123 with 5watt luxeon. going from 4.2V to aprox. 6.5V will require sometype of boost

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I looked at this setup 5W powered by an R123 for my Gattling light design.

First you need a protected R123. And second you will get about 8min of runtime due to the internal resistance before the protected version shuts down - George tested that setup for me. I think 8min is too much of a price to pay.

sunbeam

Newly Enlightened
flex76italy:
Ciao!!
I'm testing right now fatman, but with one r123 it cannot go over 800mA, using 2 R123 it can go at 1A but not below 850!
So I need 2 R123!/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif
Someone know if it is the same with BB or another boost?

Francesco

sunbeam

Newly Enlightened
mobile1: What is protected R123? Is it the PCB of batteryspace?
Moreover did George make the test with fatman or another board?

Francesco

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sunbeam,

If you are going to use 2XR123, then you will may longer need a boost converter, but a buck converter. This will depend on the Vf of the luxeon that you are using.

Since you are mentioning going with a single R123, I'm going to assume that this will be going into a small light with a small reflector or optic. If this is the case, I'd recommend going with a more conservative drive level. Maybe something along the lines of 500mA. This will get you lots more run time and greatly reduce the heat generated by the luxeon. Belive me, you'll get lots of light at 500mA.

George's converter will probably work (and work well), but its footprint is a bit larger than that of the badboy or downboy converters. I believe the Fatman is .8" in diameter and Wayne's converters are .55" in diameter.

Protected R123s have protection circuits that prevent over charging and over discharging. Protected cells typically have less capacity than unprotected cells.

sunbeam

Newly Enlightened
Tony,
Thanks for the informations!
I need 1A becouse I need to drive for about 1 minute Lux V royal blue to polimerize composite material for dental restoration!
The problem is that maybe I cannot drive at 1A with only one r123!

Francesco

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you need to get 1A, I'd abandon the idea of getting that kind of current out out a 3.7v power source. I'd go with multiple protected R123s with a buck converter. I've used the downboy quite often and have never had any problems with it.

sunbeam

Newly Enlightened
Ok, I'm going to use 2 R123s!
Do you know where can I find protected R123?

Francesco

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
sunbeam,

The sandwiche shoppe carries them, and jsburly's has them. I'm using jsburly's cells and like them.

Just keep in mind that there is a fine line when driving a lux V with two 123 size cells. If running 2X123, you'll need to use a boost converter. When running 2XR123, you'll need a buck converter.

My point is this. I'd go with a 3X123 body, with the buck converter, if I could. This way, you could use either the R123s or 123s in a pinch. If you go with the two cell body, you're going to limit yourself to the use of the li-ion cells.