Energizer Folding LED

Saaby

Flashaholic
I picked one up at Wal Mart because I wanted a LED tent light for scout camp in a week and it seemed to fit the bill...verdict so far? I LOVE IT! But then again it is my first LED light, we all have to start somewhere don't we??

Ok heres some pictures of the slight mods I did (Not the type your thinking of...sorry)

Pink Bunny!

AND, I realized today all the sudden that my dad pays good money for our internet access which includes a webb page, in other words I finally have a place to do image hosting, yayy! As my first experiment I made a nice signature graphic, lets look at it now.

Saaby

Flashaholic
Aw come on no replies? Are you telling me that I have to reply to my own post! Yeesh I thought everything got at least one reply

They ought to have a message icon for tounge-in-cheek because thats what most my posts are

Maybe I should've been more specific, these lights are cheap and easy to come by, so give my ideas on how to destroy, er, improve the next one I buy! I know theres potential there, jsut don't know what
smile.gif

mc

Newly Enlightened
Hey Saaby,

I do like the light you are talking about, works great in a power outage. Even gave my wife one for her birthday a couple of days ago.

Do a mod, and post a picture, eh?

Saaby

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Do a mod and post a picture, eh? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not 100% sure what you meant like that (That I did that or that you should do that) but...yeah. I think it would be cool to drop in IR LEDs for night vision but I don't do night vision so...I could put in green LEDs or something for mood lighting, I just don't know
tongue.gif

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Saaby:

I have three of these that rarely get used because they aren't as bright as the smaller RS 2AA fluorescent. The mod I would welcome is a mod that increased the LED count from 2 to 4 or so. The 3 position switch offers some interesting possibilities along these lines.

Saaby

Flashaholic
I have both as well...the RS is by my bed and the Energizer is on the shelf so that should say something for every day use, but when I'm camping or what not the Energizer is more than enough light (When combined with some others ya know) and will run longer on 4 AA batteries than the RS light will on 4 AAs.

freeze12

Enlightened
Saaby .. I also have the light & it make's a great Map light while traveling as it is not blinding. I do plan on putting better LED's in it though.
Your picture's are not coming up on your site.
want a pretty impressive light? Get the 3 way from " Lifestyle Fascination"

Saaby

Flashaholic
Whoops! That was one of my earlier posts and the link was incorrect, try now.

I took it apart and everything...

freeze12

Enlightened
Good Pic's! I put Foil tape as a reflector on mine
Being 6 volt's You could probably wire up 2 more LED's at the bottom!

Willmore

Enlightened
Hmmm, you could use one of the Maxim chips designed to run white leds for a backlight. Just put all four LEDs in series (assuming you add two more to the other ends of the tubes) and make the switch turn the system on or turn it on and short over two of the LEDs. The way the chip works, it regulates current, so that would pose no problem.

GlockDoc

Newly Enlightened
I found the Energizer LED Lantern last year in time for Christmas. Got one for mom and one for dad, one for the wife, one for each of the kids(the youngest has hers in Saudi Arabia with her right now[USAF])and one for me(natch!). They are great for reading during power outages(only two so far this year).

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
hey Saaby i painted the inside of my lantern with the glow powder paint. Stuff. Theree coats of it whooaeee should have the windows open. IT GLOWS
wink.gif

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry to dredge up an old thread. I just wanted to mention what might be an "undocumented feature" of the folding LED lantern. Undocumented at least as far as I know.

That odd sideways hook on the bottom of the light is perfect for securing to a button on the front of your shirt. Try it and I think you'll agree that it works so well, it must have been designed for this purpose. It hooks easily and holds securely and the light is nicely positioned for hands-free use and can even be tilted downward. Of course a lanyard also works well, but if you don't have a lanyard handy, this works.

It is also trivial to do a mekeshift headlamp by putting the battery door against your forehead and tying a bandana around your head, but with 4 AAs it's a little heavy for regular use like that. Maybe handy in an emergency, though.

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw my 1st one up close & personal this weekend & was quite impressed. Next time I'm in Walmart & need a "flashlight fix", I'll be picking one up. TX

Illuminated

Enlightened
I just bought one of those last week. Couldn't help myself. Useful as it is stock. Decided to take it apart and discovered that if plastic diffuser tubes are removed and piece of plain white paper is used as "reflector", it emits a little more light, plus some of the light "spills over" the end of reflector and throws some distance (sort of like regular LED flashlight). Measured around 30mA on 1 LED/60-65mA on 2. Pretty useful mod for no additional $$ ! (at least for my uses).
Later - John

Latest posts