G2 and P6 long distance beam

TTX

Newly Enlightened
Hello ppl, can anybody post here photos of a G2 and P6 long distance(20-50 meeters) beam? please, want to compare.

thx alot.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF!

Just so I understand you, do you mean "6P" as in the SureFire 6P, or are you referring to a model "P6" by a different manufacturer?
If this is the case, which manufacturer?

If you did mean "6P" then since the G2 and 6P both feature the P60 Lamp Assemlby the beam produced will be the same.

Best regards,

Al

TTX

Newly Enlightened
no i want to see or hear about surefire 6p and G2 beams /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

want to buy something of this /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif but warried about taht G2 has "prevx lens" and p6 only "prevx window" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

TTX

Newly Enlightened
and what else you ppl can say about those 2 lights? any comments, warnings, problems found? e.t.c

i want to know as much more info as i can find / you can provide

Size15's

Flashaholic
Ah. Now I understand!

"lens" means "window"
SureFire uses Pyrex windows.

Lens/window is what protects the insides from dust/water etc.

Sometimes, LED flashlights feature "optics"
("optic" means "lens")

Optic/lens is what creates the 'beam' from the light source.

Some E2d's were released with domed glass windows. Currently, I understand they changed them to flat glass.

Several of SureFire's LED lights have domed glass windows. The X200A, U2, KL1 etc.

Al

TTX

Newly Enlightened
yep i just want to understand - is "prevx lens in G2" is same as "prevx window in 6p" ?:)

Size15's

Flashaholic
Yes - 6P and G2 Pyrex windows are the same (they may differ ever so slightly in diameter).

[Edit: Sorry, the G2 currently uses Lexan not Pyrex]

Al

TTX

Newly Enlightened
and what you can say about exploiting battaryes in 6p? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif does this only happends with cr123? was there any issues with surefires rechargible mod battary? i`m a bit scarry after reading the topic about pelican light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
Exploding batteries are extremely rare. EXploding batteries in flashlights are even more rare.
The SureFire 6P features a Patented LockOut TailCap for disabling the flashlight for carry, transport and storage. This should be used to ensure unintentional activation. SureFire's SF123A batteries are made in the USA. Only USA-made 123A batteries should be used.

SureFire has their B65 NiCd rechargeable battery stick - Using the A14 body extender you can convert your 6P into a rechargeable flashlight. The "KR2 Rechargeable Kit" has everything you need. I am not aware of a B65 or B90 NiCd Battery Stick ever exploding.

If you use "Lithium Ion" type batteries in your SureFire you are not using batteries recommended by SureFire - You are not using the batteries for which they are designed. In such a case you are acting at your own risk. The dangers of LiIon-type batteries are significantly higher compared to using SF123A batteries.

There is much written (especially in the Batteries Forum here on CPF) about what combinations of aftermarket battery and charger work with the various SureFires.

Remember, Lithium Ion and SF123A batteries are powerful. Care should be taken when storing, handling and using them. Keep them dry and do not use them if they are damaged. Do not mix different types, brands, etc of batteries. Do not mix old and new (or used and new) batteries. Ensure that batteries can not short-circuit.

Al

Penguin

Enlightened
Actually I think the G2 has a Lexan window.. while the 6P has a Pyrex window.. More light gets passed through the 6P's Pyrex window versus the G2's lexan. This could be easily solved by buying a UCL (Ultra Clear Lens) for the G2. It'll slightly increase the overall lumens out the front of the flashlight.

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Al, don't forget about the plastic (GE lexan) window on the G2 (only model left that uses it)
They should just make everything pyrex and have a few lexans laying around for replacement of old Bezels

Size15's

Flashaholic
Yeah thanks for correcting me. The G2 currently uses Lexan not Pyrex.

Actually, the Z32 Shock Isolated Bezel, and the P-Series Nitrolon handgun WeaponLight use Lexan too. They're designed to be user-replaceable for when it gets too scuzzed up after heavy use on a weapon.

Al

TTX

Newly Enlightened
Here in Estonia /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif i will prefer to convert my flashlight to rechargibne using conversion kit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif coz battaryes by 5$ is very expensive... 10$ for 1 hour of light.. khe /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

TTX

Newly Enlightened
so what shoud i buy? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif which one is better? g2 or 6p

Size15's

Flashaholic
IF you can be 100% certain that the G2 you buy is a new one with a LockOut TailCap then without a doubt I would get the G2 rather than the 6P.

The Rechargeable kit for the G2 is the KR1.

However, we may be able to help you find a dealer in Europe from whom you can buy SF123A batteries for less than $5 each.

Size15's

Flashaholic
The G2R looks like this:

SureFire%20Nitrolons%2064.jpg

LightHearted

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Size15's said:
IF you can be 100% certain that the G2 you buy is a new one with a LockOut TailCap then without a doubt I would get the G2 rather than the 6P.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just wondering why you say this. I don't have either of these lights, but may be buying my first Surefire soon. It seems to me the 6P is a more modular disign and able to handle the heat of the HOLA a little better. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Ken

TTX

Newly Enlightened
Size15`s - I would get the G2 rather than the 6P.

why? is there any disadvangades in 6p?

sorry for my bad English /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

UVvis

Enlightened
The G2 has the advantages of being lower in weight, and the body is less conductive of heat if you grab it in a cold area. It is basically a plastic flashlight with an aluminum insert for electrical conductivity. Not all models can be locked out which is setting the flashlight so that it cannot come on. It has a lexan lens that can scratch and as listed here has less light output.

The 6P is a anodized aluminum which can show scratches. It is physically heavier, slightly more expensive, and has a pyrex glass lens. It is also knurled on the finish, which is like checkering, for gripping purposes.

Both run on the exact same lamp assemblies and battery combinations so they are nearly identical in that regard.

My preference is to the aluminum models as I prefer their feel, especially when screwing on and off the tailcap, bezel, or other components. However, they are not as comfortable to grap when hot or cold.