Cheap source for powerful magnet

Should Newbies be allowed to sell without contributing to the forums??

• Sonicare

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • disposable toothbrush

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let's say you like those super powerful magnets but don't want to have to pay for them. I found that the used sonicare toothbrush head has 2 magnets on the bottom where it screws in to the battery tube. Before discarding your used brush, pry the magnets off and use them on the fridge or wherever. If you're buying the heads and discarding them, might as well save the magnets.

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
These Rare-Earth magnets can be ordered from lee valley tools for a few cents each or a bit more depending on the size you want...

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
emrbrtn said:
Or just pop open an old harddrive

[/ QUOTE ]

My suggestion as well. The older with more capacity = stronger magnets. I got 2 out of a really old one that could hold a 500 paper (computer paper) stack to a metal door.

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
[ QUOTE ]
markdi said:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1267&item=7511610721&rd=1

[/ QUOTE ]
I think that would cause problems with any shipper
[ QUOTE ]
New, fresh made N45 strength, nickel plated, quality magnet. Round 150mm dia.x 50mm. Very big and strong magnet! This is the biggest we sell. Plan how to handle it. Safety first! Your TV and computers will be effected in whole room, but not damaged. For reserchers and professionals. It can lift tons. Once you allow stuck to heavy iron, good luck! It can be used in positioning vehicles in industry. Other sizes available. On picture is 4" magnet

[/ QUOTE ]

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just thought it was kool

I woul like to have one but what would I do with it.

I could use it to hang my car up at night.

I bet they some how short the poles out when they ship it.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
In fact I had trouble with one shipment from Emilion - the regular little magnets on B/S/T. I received an empty paper envelope and for an afternoon was left scratching my head wondering who in the world would take the time to address an envelope to me, pay postage, send it over - with nothing inside.

I'm theorizing that inside some automated sorter system or otherwise, the magnets stuck to the metal surfaces, tore their way out of the envelope, and that whoever discovered it happily taped it up and sent it on its way /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif ... well, SOME postal administration now has ten extra magnets inside one of their machines/vehicles /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Emilion was really kind though, he sent me a bunch of replacements straight away in much tougher packaging and they made it without a hitch. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

So be careful when you ship your magnets...